Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Exactly.  The airline industry has much thinner margins and they were forced to deal with issue a long time ago.  Top elites must prove their loyalty each and every year.  Those who spend more keep top elite status.  For an airline, loyalty isn't what you did 20 years ago, it's what you are doing now.   I am a million miler on a US airline.  i have permanent status, but only that of the lowest level of the program.   No one gets permanent top elite status.  

Cost is irrelevant now, but will it always be?  C&A can change.  C&A must change.  Besides what does that have to do with contributions to this forum?  

Most loyalty programs are like a pyramid.  Few top elite, growing numbers of members as you go down.   C&A doesn't follow this trend because elites never lose their status.  Project 20 years into the future... C&A is growing into an inverted pyramid.  Too many top elite.  C&A is a victim of it's own success.  There is a reason why no other cruise line offers a loyalty program like Royal does.  

On another cruise line.  If you booked a balcony on Royal they lose hundreds of dollars on the D+  C&A balcony discount.  Plus on Royal you drink free drinks every night.  Plus they have to you free bottles of C&A wine.  Since you left Royal now your cabin is filled with a new cruiser who didn't get a balcony discount, doesn't get free booze or discounted specialty dining.  Your departure increased their profit margins.  

OBC offers are not combinable with C&A balcony discount so one rules out the other unless you book a cheaper cabin.

In the UK we often pay higher prices and don't have the luxury of cancelling FOC.

I'm sure your points are relevant to some people who might book inside cabins but our record is,

49 cruises.

46 balcony or above cabins

2 inside cabins.

1 window cabin.

On a UK cruise a lot of these newbies cancel their autotips that's why a lot of the UK based cruiselines offer Tips Included.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

When we last sailed Freedom out of PC there was a D+ (can't remember if it was D also) section available just to the left of leaving the WJ (Chops) that you could take your plate that you filled at the WJ into during breakfast.  Tables set up, juices, coffee, etc....but no table service. It was nice to have the quieter area to enjoy.  

Enchantment two weeks ago had an entrance to the left that was for D, D+, and Pinnacle on deck four MDR for breakfast.  Was also more quiet and could get complementary specialty coffees in that section.  Regular entrance was on the other side.  

On sailings that we have been on, we have never seen a D/D+ and higher section set up in the Jammer.  I have to imagine that they do it when they can (based on the number of cruisers in each category then).    I would enjoy the section in WJ, since I do enjoy the benefit of specialty coffees....but NOT having it, won't ruin my cruise, for sure.  We were just on Symphony and over 3000 cruisers were D and above....we had very few children (215 to be exact).  With so few children on board, it did leave the waterslides to those of us adults though that LOVE them, and kept the lines down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

OBC offers are not combinable with C&A balcony discount so one rules out the other unless you book a cheaper cabin.

In the UK we often pay higher prices and don't have the luxury of cancelling FOC.

On a UK cruise a lot of these newbies cancel their autotips that's why a lot of the UK based cruiselines offer Tips Included.

In the US some OBC is combinable with C&A balcony discounts but not always the published OBC that the website displays.  It all depends.  My TA finds me the best rate which isn't always the C&A rate.

The UK has different consumer protection regulations and other stipulations so foreign rules and policy don't apply to UK bookings.  There are advantages to some and disadvantages to some.  You don't get to cherry pick and have the best of both worlds.  

Tipping norms differ by region.  It's a moot point really.  Royal just bundles them into the price under the covers.  You pay them, you just don't see it as a line item on an invoice.  At least for the US if service truly is extremely poor we can go to guest service and have them adjusted because we pay them on top of a lower base fare.

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I think that is largely because everybody can pass on their status multiple times to everyone including their dog! 🐶 👎😱

This  definitely has a huge impact on numbers of crown and anchor members.   Every day on Cruise critic someone asks about their cabin mate/boyfriend/ girlfriend /significant other etc. etc. and are always told to  call RCCL and they  will have the same status. Then I guess if there was a break up, that person still retains that unearned status and then can forward it to their new mate.  

I will be disclosing and say that  members of my own family have benefited by this current and acceptable process. 

M

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

This  definitely has a huge impact on numbers of crown and anchor members.   Every day on Cruise critic someone asks about their cabin mate/boyfriend/ girlfriend /significant other etc. etc. and are always told to  call RCCL and they  will have the same status. Then I guess if there was a break up, that person still retains that unearned status and then can forward it to their new mate.  

I will be disclosing and say that  members of my own family have benefited by this current and acceptable process. 

M

Agree, now that there is Equality in Marriage it should go back to being a requirement to get same status... There was a CC Member on here several years ago complaining that while Divorcing that her Husband still kept her status even though he'd only done couple cruises. She wanted take back his status in the Divorce

Just a quick comment about the charge for popcorn. 

One of of our favorite laughable issues is that a passenger can order as many lobster tails as he/she wants but later that night RCCL will charge them $2.50 for 10 cents worth if popcorn. 

Enjoy 

m

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, cruisegirl1 said:

Just a quick comment about the charge for popcorn. 

If popcorn was free the hot tubs would be full of it.  It would be all over the deck, in the carpet and in the elevators. 

The charge is strictly to prevent that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WeighAnchor said:

I have remained loyal to Royal because of the D+ perks. If they cut back on them, then I suppose I will be trying out other cruise lines. Of the 26 cruises I have been on (and I know that is not very many compared to some of you), 23 of them have been on Royal and one of the other three cruises was on Celebrity which is owned by Royal.

Guaranteed you wont.

30 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

On sailings that we have been on, we have never seen a D/D+ and higher section set up in the Jammer.  I have to imagine that they do it when they can (based on the number of cruisers in each category then).    I would enjoy the section in WJ, since I do enjoy the benefit of specialty coffees....but NOT having it, won't ruin my cruise, for sure.  We were just on Symphony and over 3000 cruisers were D and above....we had very few children (215 to be exact).  With so few children on board, it did leave the waterslides to those of us adults though that LOVE them, and kept the lines down.

On Freedom it was not actually IN the WJ, but just as you exited, but no full service..just separate seating area with juice/coffee set out for self serve.  Chops on one side and Portofinos (now replaced as Giovannis) on the other side (where the suites full service breakfast was served).   Will be interesting when we are back on Freedom to see how they are doing that now, but agree it was unusual. 

Most common set up is when the DL/CL offers the continental breakfast...there is no upper tier breakfast section.  Naturally Majesty and Empress does not have either a DL or CL...so they have a breakfast section.  We were surprised that EN offered the designated section in the MDR.  

Edited by island lady

The loss of benefits to C&A members is the result of a small group abusing the program. On our recent cruise the was a group of between 12 to 16 who commandeered a section of the CL every night. One of the group would arrive before cocktail hour move chairs to their preferred area  and reserve them for the rest of their friends. Every night for 12 nights from before 4:30 till after 8:00. It's always a small group that ruins it for the rest of us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

The loss of benefits to C&A members is the result of a small group abusing the program. On our recent cruise the was a group of between 12 to 16 who commandeered a section of the CL every night. One of the group would arrive before cocktail hour move chairs to their preferred area  and reserve them for the rest of their friends. Every night for 12 nights from before 4:30 till after 8:00. It's always a small group that ruins it for the rest of us.

Never ruined it for me.  😮  We typically go in just after first seating dining starts...usually always can find plenty of seats then.  

4 hours ago, balanceok said:

Times are really good in the cruise industry right now, so if changes are going to be made, now is the time they will make them. Don’t be surprised to see further reduction in member benefits.

We don’t drink alcohol, so I have no real interest in the DL, other than its a nice place to read and relax on colder weather cruises. My favorite perk is the free wash & fold laundry service. That and the balcony discount will keep me grateful.  And hopefully, we won’t see those limited.

We’re on Adventure right now and our cabin reward was six bottles of water and a tray of cookies. An additional dessert tray will come later in the week and then a fruit platter. They also still offer the bath robes, which we decline, and bathroom amenities.

We cruise RCI because we like their product. I consider the D+ benefits as a bonus and am grateful for the few we get. But we don’t hesitate to book on other lines where the deal or itinerary makes it inviting. No reason to cruise exclusively on RCI and miss this opportunities. 

B2b on serenade and did not get the tray of cookies which is all right by us as we dont eat them.

D+ still have access to CL and reserved seating in the theatre.

OP, we cruised Freedom about a year ago and D+ had access to CL.  Also had reserved seating in the theatre and ice show.  Although the signs did not say this but when I showed card was welcome to be seated there.  Did your ask the loyalty ambassador why there was no access to CL and reserved show seating?  It is still a perk listed in C&A so I would be very interested in the loyalty ambassodors response.  There was no reserved seating in Giovannis or Chops for D+ guests but there was for suites and P members last year.  When was the last time you were able to sit in there with the suites as a d or d+ member not sailing in a gs or higher?

I have not seen less d+ perks than were stated in the t&c except for the welcome cookies which I do not eat anyhow.

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

Grape Creek.  You should be familiar with that winery.  Less expensive than Caymus but some wonderful offerings.  

I agree that the swill they serve in the lounges barely barely qualifies as fermented grape juice.  I stick to poinsettias myself and mr spook indulges in his Jack and Coke.  I will say, however that many of the campers are not drinking anything more exciting than seltzer or lemon drops.  But yes, they are there half an hour early and have late seating so they are there the whole time.  

Yes, very familiar!:classic_wink:  But I drink the lounge's Pinot Grigio without reservation and their Lemon Drops.  I can say last cruise on Liberty, the Lemon Drops from Windjammer bar were superior...she did an orange twist thing and rimed the glass with orange peel, the best one I ever tasted...so now I ask for them that way.  To me, Vodka is Vodka.

One thing that I think should be pointed out, and I am not trying to be mean or petty about it. People keep lumping Diamond and Diamond Plus in together as if they are almost the same. Keep in mind that Diamond starts at 80 points - probably only 11 cruises or so. Diamond Plus stretches from 175 points all the way up to 699! Very big difference there between 80-174 and 175-699! I too see the writing on the wall for the Diamonds. I see them being limited to their three drinks each evening at bars throughout the ship. I honestly think that that would be fair and equitable given the number of nights of loyalty and the number of Diamonds on each cruise. 

We too have seen the problem with certain cruisers taking over lounges late in the afternoon and not leaving until late dinner starts. They always seem to be the heavy drinkers too! Perhaps this behavior is going to see us being limited in how many drinks they will serve us in the Diamond Lounge/Concierge Lounge? 

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

For me the perks are fine — have not experienced any reductions.  Mostly drink Sprite the lounges and get some lattes during the day.

I enjoy the free internet days and free laundry for my spouse.  The bottled water in cabins is nice too.

Not sure who is more valuable to

Royal.  A once a year suite guest or a guest like me who is sailing 9 or 10 voyages per year.  Again, not an alcohol drinker so I don’t feel that I am costing Royal much in perks.  I do enjoy the early on, early off however.

Many frequent guests continue with Royal because of the nice perks.  Without them I would probably go back to Celebrity and Cunard.  Katherine 

So the most valuable would be the cruiser that is d/d+/p who cruise in GS or higher 8+ times a year.  I know of a few of them....wish I was one of these individuals.

I thought it was heaven when we finally got to diamond. Just got off the Grandeur and enjoyed the diamond lounge nightly. Never used all 3 drinks separately. Not big drinkers. But it feels great getting back a benefit. Similar experience on Visions transatlantic October 2018. Not overly crowded but enjoyable. Lots of waitstaff.

We are on our way to diamond plus. Hopefully RCL continue to cater to the loyal customers. We’ve enjoyed many different cruise lines but RCL has really the best loyalty program. On Celebrity we’re elite separately. I loved the free laundry and dry cleaning.

I only hope RCL provides more Zumba and stretch classes in centrum. My wife might want to go back to Princess as they cater to a more active fun crowd. It’s hit or miss on RCL.

On Visions transatlantic we felt the pain from so much dancing with Talita Leone. A good pain. So we could eat more. Grandeur had great food but not the activities of former Grandeur cruise or Anthem and Visions. We lost weight on those.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

When we last sailed Freedom out of PC there was a D+ (can't remember if it was D also) section available just to the left of leaving the WJ (Chops) that you could take your plate that you filled at the WJ into during breakfast.  Tables set up, juices, coffee, etc....but no table service. It was nice to have the quieter area to enjoy.  

Enchantment two weeks ago had an entrance to the left that was for D, D+, and Pinnacle on deck four MDR for breakfast.  Was also more quiet and could get complementary specialty coffees in that section.  Regular entrance was on the other side.  

On serenade and they have a d and above entrance line in mdr breakfasts.  Sat you by the buffet and had coffees available.  That was about the only difference between reg and d section.  Reg seating got to be near the windows though to see the ocean as you eat.

6 minutes ago, frank808 said:

So the most valuable would be the cruiser that is d/d+/p who cruise in GS or higher 8+ times a year.  I know of a few of them....wish I was one of these individuals.

6 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Yes, they would be very valuable to Royal.  Just want to be clear — the suite life is not me or my DH.  We do insides, outsides and an occasional balcony.  Didn’t want anyone to think I was implying that we do suites.  

I guess the other thing I am unclear on is that some say cruising is “cheaper” than staying home and that is why so many cruise so often.  I honestly don’t see that.  Many of our homes expenses continue when we cruise.  Certainly our home food costs don’t equal the daily cruise cost.  At the port we have to pay a daily parking fee.  We cruise because we like it — not because we are trying to live our retirement years “on the cheap”.   Katherine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe someone posted not that long ago that MSC changed their program a  bit and now only RC Pinnacle gets MSC Black.

Sorry for the misinformation.  You are correct.  I went to the MSC CC forum and saw that listed there.  We were only going to be Gold as we are just Diamond on RCCL.   

6 hours ago, BSocial said:

Not sure why would even bring cost of cruise into the discussion.   That is irrelevant to this topic. 

This board benefits from the knowledge of the D’s, D+ and above.   They are usually the first to answer questions on the board.   And I enjoy following all the Live cruise reports from their frequent travel.  

Why not?

Airlines and hotels treat guests that are paying more.  

You get treated better on an airline if you are in business class versus a million miler in economy.   Also, as I mentioned, they are now giving status based on mileage (how much you travel with them) as well as how much you spend with them.  Do a lot of cheap flights, and you will NOT make high level status.

And hotels are also doing this.  They have executive floors, where people paying more for their room get treated better.  And some have started with a top level that is both how many nights, but also overall spending.

Also, Royal is doing this already, by changing Concierge Lounges to Suite Lounges.

These are all BUSINESSES.  They are about making money.  And someone who pays $7000 for a cruise makes them more money that someone who takes 5x $1000 cruises.

Edited by SRF

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

I just booked our first cruise on MSC in the Yacht Club.  MSC has an amazing program where they will match any cruise or hotel loyalty program to theirs.  For example:  Diamond Plus would be their top tier, Black.    They are smart to do this as they are relatively new to the US market and are building 5 or 6 new ships to sail out of the US.  The Black level gets an automatic 5% discount and other great perks.  We are trying the YC as it offers a special pool area, dining area and lounge.   This will be our 45th cruise.  We have sailed on many different lines so we have not racked up the loyalty points.  We are plain diamond on RCCL.  Because of the match program, we will go on MSC as Gold which also gets us that 5% discount. 

As of Nov 2018 D and D+ match to Gold and P matches to Black.  If you got a match before Nov D and above matches to Black status.

Not that hard to get to black status on MSC.  You only have to cruise four 7 day sailing in YC to get black status.  Even though I was matched to black, I earned over 5000 points sailing 14 nights with MSC in YC.  Also the MSC benefits have gone down a little.  Example are Black card holders used to get 25% off (now 5%) and you used to get a specialty meal for each black card holder (so essentially 2 if there were 2 black card holders in cabin).  Now it is limited to one specialty meal per cabin from anlimited selection.

So seems like both royal and MSC are cutting loyalty perks.  Grass is not always greener on the other side.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

These are all BUSINESSES.  They are about making money.  And someone who pays $7000 for a cruise makes them more money that someone who takes 5x $1000 cruises.

That depends how much time they spend in the casino. LOL.

The comp  cabins the casino loyalty program gives out probably make them the most cash.

Edited by rimmit

Recently on Vision.  The CL is being restricted to Pinnacle and Suites based on how many are booked for each cruise.  Despite CL access being listed as a benefit of D+ they will refuse D+ entry to the CL at their discretion.  I had a polite conversation with CL Concierge regarding this and he informed I'll be okay since I'm solo and Pinnacles were down on that sailing but he was refusing D+ on the previous sailing.  

If D+ can be denied access to the CL (stated benefit), then there is no reason why D can't also be denied access to the DL when the numbers of higher elite warrant it.