Accommodation in Venice in June 2019

TraceyMc

Hi 

We are looking for the best place to stay in Venice 2 nights prior to our cruise on MSC. We would like to be dropped off at the hotel and collected from it as we are unable to walk far with luggage. Any suggestions on reasonably priced accommodation or areas where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance.

At this point, there will not be any 'reasonably priced' accommodations, and the longer you wait to book, the more they will cost.  The only transport that will drop you off right at the hotel - and pick you up there- is a water taxi, kind of pricey.  Check out the board here for Italy, under Ports of Call for current recommendations.  EM

I would stay on the main land. I found Venice a nightmare and I am able bodied. Very few hotels will have a drop off right to your door in Venice.

Much better to stay on the mainland and cheaper and you can get a bus to Venice for €2.00 pp. You can explore at your leisure.

Also a taxi from the main land will get you pretty close to the cruise ship.

Assuming you are flying in, the best way to enter Venice is by water, not a bus. Also, if you are going to Venice, why would you want to stay on the mainland?  That’s sillier than staying in New Jersey if you want to see and experience New York City.

Alialaguna (Blue Line) boats from the airport take you across the lagoon, stopping at Murano, then Lido, before getting to Venice proper.  If you get off at San Zaccaria, you will be right across the promenade from a number of hotels in very easy walking distance (just a few yards). We’ve stayed at Gabrielli Sandwirth, a lovely old converted palace.  The Widener (sp?) nearby is less expensive, I believe.  You will be just a couple minutes away from San Marco.

When it’s time to embark, the Blue Line boats will take you right to the cruise pier.

Unles you plan to go to Venice many times, you might as well pay just a bit more and do it right.

Get moving NOW if you want to find any nearly reasonable price hotels in Venice for June.  Some are already booked for June dates.  I think MSC alone has five or six ships sailing on 7 day itineraries from Venice.  

I would recommend the Alialaguna boat from the airport and the San Zaccaria area try these hotels:  Lux, Savoia & Jalanda, Paganelli, Widner,  and Antica.

Again:  book now.

In most cases, getting drop off and pick-up service from the front door of a Venice hotel means using expensive water taxis (generally over 100 Euros) directly to a hotel's own dock.  One can certainly make an argument to stay on the mainland (generally near Mestre) since they would then be able to use better priced (but not cheap) land taxis.  But keep in mind that Mestre is not in Venice and going to and from Venice involves using train, bus, or land taxi.  

As others have warned, it is already a bit late to be looking at options, especially for the better hotels in Venice.  June is high season and decent hotels tend to book-up early.  If nothing else, at least make a reservation somewhere that you can later cancel if you find something better.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I think in general you are going to have a issue then with Venice. It isn't a very friendly place for anyone with mobility issues. 

If you want to stay in Venice proper, go to one of the hotel searching sites and start looking for hotels directly on the Grand Canal. Then, see which ones have their own docks you can take a water taxi to.

As for reasonably priced? For your requests, probably not going to happen. A water taxi from the airport will cost about $130 Euros and the price wouldn't be much cheaper from the hotel to the port and that would be the ONLY way to not have to drag your luggage yourself. 

The other option would be to look at the People Mover to the dock and see if you think you can handle that yourself with your luggage. Then you could look at hotels near the train station in Venice (on the same side of the Canal only!) and see if you think you can handle that walk with the luggage. Then you could take the ferry to the train station and go from there which would save you some $$ also.

I used to use venere.com for European booking but that now forwards me to hotels.com. that or booking.com should get you a look at what's available in your desired price range. IME you should be able to find something near the train station (which is also reasonably close to Piazzale de Roma), although closer to San Marco might be worth the hassle of getting there if you're not too overloaded with luggage.

I see lots of availability throughout Venice for a random 2 night duration in June (June 10-12).

We have a Venice cruise planned in July 2020 and I plan to nail down a booking 11 or 12 months out, which is about as far out as most hotels will take reservations.

My family have taken three cruises from Venice in the last ten years. Twice we stayed at the Hotel Olympia which is very close to The main transportation hub in Venice and only two small bridges to cross. The hotel is small and very nice for a pre or post cruise stay. One time we stayed on the mainland in Mestre which is a five minute train ride outside of Venice. The hotel, the Park Hotel is located directly across from the train station. It’s a larger facility with cheaper rates and extremely close to Venice. If your looking to save some money it’s a great alternative to the higher rates charged by most hotels in Venice.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:35 AM, TraceyMc said:

Hi 

We are looking for the best place to stay in Venice 2 nights prior to our cruise on MSC. We would like to be dropped off at the hotel and collected from it as we are unable to walk far with luggage. Any suggestions on reasonably priced accommodation or areas where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance.

Are you flying into Venice?  The best hotel for me was Hilton. It is on its own island and close to cruise port.  The Hilton has modern features; like elevators that go to all floors in hotel.  Nice bar and resturaunt;  a free shuttle service to St. Marks; where you can walk around the plaza.  The concierge at hotel will flag a water taxi for you to get to port.  I was 2 Euros each for water taxi.  It drops you off at the port and you walk to your respective ship. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Are you flying into Venice?  The best hotel for me was Hilton. It is on its own island and close to cruise port.  The Hilton has modern features; like elevators that go to all floors in hotel.  Nice bar and resturaunt;  a free shuttle service to St. Marks; where you can walk around the plaza.  The concierge at hotel will flag a water taxi for you to get to port.  I was 2 Euros each for water taxi.  It drops you off at the port and you walk to your respective ship. 

A water taxi for 2 Euros?  Please explain.

Hank

Sure,  there are water taxi's;  not private but the big ones that stop by the Hilton every 15 minutes;  it is a five minute ride to the port.  You can see all the ships from the front landing of the Hilton.  The correct term may be vapperreto;  I just call them water taxi's since they are on the water.  Public and private water taxi's.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, Jasalth said:

If you want to stay in Venice proper, go to one of the hotel searching sites and start looking for hotels directly on the Grand Canal. Then, see which ones have their own docks you can take a water taxi to.

As for reasonably priced? For your requests, probably not going to happen. A water taxi from the airport will cost about $130 Euros and the price wouldn't be much cheaper from the hotel to the port and that would be the ONLY way to not have to drag your luggage yourself. 

Unless you want the boat to yourself, you do not need a water taxi. The Alilaguna (Blue Line) fare from the airport, which makes several stops in Venice, is 15 euro. With a little research, you can find a hotel near one of the stops.  Then, on embarkation day the same boat will get you to the cruise terminal for 5 euro.

The idea of going all the way to Venice and not wanting to “...stay in Venice proper...” is kind of like going to San Francisco and staying in Oakland.  If saving money is the be all and end all, you can save a lot more by just staying home.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Unless you want the boat to yourself, you do not need a water taxi. The Alilaguna (Blue Line) fare from the airport, which makes several stops in Venice, is 15 euro. With a little research, you can find a hotel near one of the stops.  Then, on embarkation day the same boat will get you to the cruise terminal for 5 euro.

The idea of going all the way to Venice and not wanting to “...stay in Venice proper...” is kind of like going to San Francisco and staying in Oakland.  If saving money is the be all and end all, you can save a lot more by just staying home.

Actually, these days staying in Oakland and skipping SF altogether might be a real good idea.    just sayin. . .