Captain Bjarne Larsen - in memoriam

Shanola

Today, a year ago, Captain Larsen passed away. On the Quest, couple of seamails after having left Yankee Harbour.

He was 48 years of age - way too young to go.

We don't want Bjarne to be forgotten, that's why we create this page for him.

Bjarne, we miss you!

Edited by Shanola
  • Like 2

This is a thoughtful and warm gesture in memory of a wonderful, soulful and dedicated captain!

May our friend Bjarne Larsen rest in peace and may all of those who knew him recall fondly our times together.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

Agree.  I was on the ship at the time and it was an incredibly sad few days.  The staff did an amazing job in dealing with something for which they were unprepared,  setting up a remembrance tribute and making sure the guests still had a good ship experience.  It was quite the balancing act.

• Like 2

Thanks you Mr Markham for your nice words and Mr bitob for sharing this sad memories with us.

Mr bitob, I know that were on the ship. I was also supposed to be on board but got the flu, so I followed your postings. Basicly I learned from you what happened, before I got the terrible e-mail.

A good day to both of you!

Edited by Shanola
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bjarne was a captain's captain. He made all the cruises on which we sailed with him so very special. I recall the night during the Odyssey Christmas Cruise of 2102-13 off of Australia that he dressed up as Santa for the special Christmas evening celebration. Beloved by all, passengers and crew. Highly respected by management. So nice and interactive with passengers, in a warm and friendly manner, a model for what any captain should be, sadly missing too often today. Thanks to Shanola for memorializing this great man of the sea and remembering for us all his 50th birthday. So young.  Sail on Captain Larsen!! RIP.

On 20. Februar 2019 at 8:31 PM, Shanola said:

Thank you Mr Markham for your nice words and Mr bitob for sharing this sad memories with us.

Mr bitob, I know that were on the ship. I was also supposed to be on board but got the flu, so I followed your postings. Basicly I learned from you what happened, before I got the terrible e-mail.

A good day to both of you!

• 2 weeks later...

I beg your pardon for saying the same thing twice over. It happened when I wanted to correct a mistake - and all of a sudden the entire posting was on again. I don't know how to remove it. 

Brittany, thank you for your nice words. Today, 10 years ago, it was the first time when I met Captain Larsen. He was on his way from Fred Olsen to Seabourn.

This might not be very interesting for our readers, but it's a special day for me.

We wish all of you HAPPY EASTER!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my, we've been reading blogs about Seabourne cruises to Antarctica in preparation for our 2020 voyage .

We learned about how special Capt Larsen was and hoped to meet him on our cruise. Indeed, he was a Captain's Captain and beloved by those who sailed with him. So sorry to learn about his passing....a great loss to his family and the sailing community.

Home is the sailor, home from the sea....

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry for you, Mr or Mrs vaitape. But the Antarctica is always special - hope you`ll enjoy your cruise!

On one of these days in May (unfortunately I forgot which one it was), 10 years ago, Bjarne started off with Seabourn. First he was on the Pride, couple of months later on the Odyssey. And he always had special plans:

Did you know that it was Captain Larsens idea to sail the Antarctica? He was the only Seabourn-Captain with an ice-licence at that time.

Happy sailing!

Our hats are off to Shanola for keeping this thread going and memories of  the stupendous Captain Larsen alive.  Only Bjarne would object to the use of this adjective as pertaining to him. Those of us who knew him, and his essential decency and goodness - passengers and crew -  owe you a very great debt for keeping the memory flame burning brightly. How many truly memorable captains have any of us met in our cruising history, for us now over 45 voyages, or can even name?

Seabourn should elect Bjarne to its Hall of Fame - as soon as they start one.

• 3 weeks later...

His life was meant for good friends and great adventures.

That's why we try to keep this thread going, dear Brittany! Thank you for your nice words and support and understanding... (As for Bjarnes reaction: completely right!)

Seabourn will never start a Hall of Fame - they are better in forgetting. Pity.

We wish all of you a nice summer and a happy sailing!

Chairsin,

Thank you for reminding us and for highlighting the prominence and importance of the plaque on Quest’s bridge.

We sorely miss Captain Larsen and we look back fondly on all the photos and video clips we have with him from past years.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Chairsin,

do you mean this one? It's a present from his home town Skagen/Denmark when the Quest docked there.

Greetings to you and to markham and to all our readers! We are pleased that you follow this thread. 

bb.plakette.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you for this lovely Christmas greeting Shanola and invoking the good Captain's memory at this time of year for all of us who knew and loved him.  I say again the finest captain we have ever sailed with, and one of the best and most decent men my wife Mrs Brittany 12 and I have ever known. Seeing the tree and decorated staircase outside of the MDR on Deck Four invokes so many memories of the ships at Holiday time and being with Captain Bjarne. RIP our Captain. Shanola - I am just figuring out who you must be. So terribly sorry for your loss.

Dear Mr husband of Mrs Brittany 12!

It is so nice that you are still following this page, thank you! Yes, Christmas with Bjarne was always special, actually "home away from home". I wish you and your family happy Christmas and a healthy New Year!

The same of course to all readers of these lines.

Who I am? Maybe I should add a photograph - once. Then we could figure out if we met already on one of the Seabourn ships...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...