Boarding Documents Question

SargassoPirate

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I just received a nice little booklet for our upcoming cruise,  with information about the ship, tours, and so forth.  Is this what we need to board or is there a "set sail" pass that I am supposed to find online and print?  I couldn't find anything in my cruise account and the booklet didn't mention anything.

Thanks

And, depending where you are going, any needed visas.

The booklet is for your convenience and your edification. You do need to make sure that the dates, the cabin number and any flights are correct and you should read all the information in there (because it does talk about gratuities and has other helpful information). Beyond that, you don't even need to take the booklet with you.

1 hour ago, Richbutnot said:

We had to show the booklet to get through port security to board the ship in San Juan.

That is an interesting tidbit to know. I guess there is an exception to every "rule." Where you arriving on your own or on a Viking transfer?

My other question is if anyone else has run into this for any other ports.

Our experience at embarking on the Viking Sea in San Juan for our TA last spring didn't require showing any travel documents to security. We just went inside the terminal to the Viking staffer, showed our passports, answered a couple of questions about a credit card for charging aboard ship (we had pre-registered ours) and we were given our ship's ID cards. No fuss, no muss.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

That is an interesting tidbit to know. I guess there is an exception to every "rule." Where you arriving on your own or on a Viking transfer?

My other question is if anyone else has run into this for any other ports.

I had forgotten about that, but we had to show our booklet in Barcelona before going through the scanner. We did have Viking Transfer, too. I had everything put away since I didn't think I would need anything beside my ship card and had to get it out of my carry on. 

I think we had to show the booklet last year in San Juan (we were NOT using VO transfers) to get into the terminal. Once in the terminal it was not needed.

I hate paper but I will take the silly booklet to Miami later this month, and promptly pitch once onboard.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

And, depending where you are going, any needed visas.

The booklet is for your convenience and your edification. You do need to make sure that the dates, the cabin number and any flights are correct and you should read all the information in there (because it does talk about gratuities and has other helpful information). Beyond that, you don't even need to take the booklet with you.

That may depend on where you arrive to embark.   We boarded the Viking SEA just a couple hours ago and San Juan Puerto Rico wanted us to have not only our credit card and Passport, but the Viking Booklet.  So that confirms what Broker1217 just said.  And they want both wife and myself to have our own booklets.  We had packed them in the suitcase.  Good news is, after several minutes of explaining, they took us aside and spent several minutes trying to verify us, even with our passports.  Not an issue, only wish Viking had told us.  We weren't the only ones this happened to.

So - probably best to confirm with Viking if you need to bring those extra booklets of paper!

1 hour ago, H2Otstr said:

I had forgotten about that, but we had to show our booklet in Barcelona before going through the scanner. We did have Viking Transfer, too. I had everything put away since I didn't think I would need anything beside my ship card and had to get it out of my carry on. 

That's strange, the booklet I have for our embarkation in Barcelona doesn't say anything about bringing the booklet for scanning purposes there.  Guess I'll take it just in case and have it in my carry on.

On our Miami to Cuba to Miami trip last year, we had to show our printed out "travel document" at the first check point just inside the terminal doorway.  That came with the My Viking Journey information.  MVJ also provides the dates of registration for tours, based on your room class.

For what it's worth, I think they were trying to limit access beyond that initial checkpoint to valid travelers. That keeps the line of checking in passengers on the second floor, and away from evil doers. Just a guess.

I just called Viking and the gal said maybe it depends on the port that you need the booklet, but she didn't offer any port info.....same thing I guess about the "travel document".  She seemed surprised that I was asking the guestion.  She said you only need to show a passport and a credit card..  Unless you call Viking and get a satisfying answer from them, I'd at least bring the booklet (I am).

2 hours ago, H2Otstr said:

Interesting! Have checked in twice now in Barcelona and was never asked to show the booklet. Once with transfers and once without. Curiouser and curiouser. 

Edited by Peregrina651

33 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

That may depend on where you arrive to embark.   We boarded the Viking SEA just a couple hours ago and San Juan Puerto Rico wanted us to have not only our credit card and Passport, but the Viking Booklet.  So that confirms what Broker1217 just said.  And they want both wife and myself to have our own booklets.  We had packed them in the suitcase.  Good news is, after several minutes of explaining, they took us aside and spent several minutes trying to verify us, even with our passports.  Not an issue, only wish Viking had told us.  We weren't the only ones this happened to.

So - probably best to confirm with Viking if you need to bring those extra booklets of paper!

I guess having one for each passenger is a real problem when you have received one per cabin and when the packet says nothing about bringing the booklet with you because you will need it. 

Sorry if I gave anyone a bum steer but after 4 departures in 3 different ports we have never been asked for the booklets. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Richbutnot said:

We had to show the booklet to get through port security to board the ship in San Juan.

Yes.  I had the same experience in Barcelona.  Didn't have it so I was last thru port security.

Bringing the darn thing next time.

13 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Yes.  I had the same experience in Barcelona.  Didn't have it so I was last thru port security.

Bringing the darn thing next time.

Same with us.  In Venice we had to show our booklets at the port security gate.  Once we were through this gate, it was no longer needed.

2 hours ago, ArizonaGal said:

That's strange, the booklet I have for our embarkation in Barcelona doesn't say anything about bringing the booklet for scanning purposes there.  Guess I'll take it just in case and have it in my carry on.

The booklet is not scanned, just glanced at. The port agent asked to see it before we walked through the scanner.  This was our third Viking OC and we have never been asked to show our booklet before this last cruise which was in  December. We did not have to show our booklets in November when we did Into the Midnight Sun, embarking in Greenwich.  

Edited by H2Otstr

We are leaving Australia a couple of weeks before our cruise departs Vancouver and it’s possible according to Viking that we won’t receive the package in time. They said not to worry as it’s all available on eDocs. Seems like that isn’t the case for some ports at all. We try avoid bringing all unnecessary paperwork because of weight issues flying in from such a distance. 

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I guess having one for each passenger is a real problem when you have received one per cabin and when the packet says nothing about bringing the booklet with you because you will need it. 

Sorry if I gave anyone a bum steer but after 4 departures in 3 different ports we have never been asked for the booklets. 

We received one booklet for the both of us. Being an old Boy Scout I like to be prepared. However, the one thing that is consistent in travel is inconsistency.  I went to Cuba last year and during the disembarkation process, Cuban security wanted to see inside my backpack aftet it went through the scanner.  Being a accustomed to TSA procedures where one does not touch their own bag and lets TSA  check it, I just stood there.  The Cuban official started yelling at me to open my backpack.  What a nice welcome. 

We received one booklet per person. We are boarding in Miami and I doubt we will need them but I will bring them both.

Kind of annoying waste of space. And Viking should be advising folks to have them easily accessible in their carry-on. I know we also were surprised in San Juan and had to rummage in checked bag. Minor domestic dispute-lol. Thank God I brought them or I would have been in big trouble with DH who always brings every scrap of paper.

I would prefer an emailed 'boarding pass' or a one page document rather than a paper booklet that I will throw away once onboard. 

• Like 1