Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

30 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

If they say, 'oh well, the ship should have waited for us'....and that is the reason they don't cruise again.......they are 'not taking responsibility for their actions'.....I am not judging, just commenting based on what is said here.

If they don't cruise again after this incident because they truly did not like the cruise experience, so be it.  For many it is one and done.  

What was said here is all assumptions as to why they were late. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

How long will the ship wait if you are on a ship sponsored tour if something should delay the tour company?  

We were on a cruise sponsored partial tour of the Panama Canal through Celebrity. Had delays. The Equinox waited 3 hours for us to get back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I say this knowing full well I'm going against the grain, and I do have my flame retardant suit on (tailored that thing years ago here on Cruise Critic), but I do think its a little childish to laugh at people like this.  I'm not supporting them because they messed up, but they did have to learn their lesson the hard way.  

I'll admit....I've heckled pier runners before, but never those who totally missed the ship.  I just can't imagine taking a 6 minute video of someone like this, laughing at them on the video, and then posting it on social media.  

I know, I'm in the minority on this thread.  Let me have it.  

My wife and I said the same thing. While we have heckled runners before, we would never say a word to anyone who was was going to miss the ship. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

^^^ This! ^^^

While I agree things can happen beyond your control that makes you late...however that is rarely ever the case!!!  

Watching people casually stroll up the dock while the whole ship waits clearly shows they are only concerned for themselves.  I always secretly wish they would pull the gangplank and pull away while they are taking selfies!!!

If a ship has an onboard time of 4:30 and a sailing time of 5:00...then they should absolutely leave at 5:00!!  If a person, for whatever reason, is not back then they should be responsible for getting themselves to the next port. 

This is not being mean....I am just saying whether they could help it or not they still need to take responsibility for their own problem.  

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 5

I hate to see people being left behind however boarding time is clearly stated and one should be responsible to pay attention to their time. We never booked tours lasting within an hour of departure and gave ourselves at least 2 to 3 hours leeway to allow for walking around in port for a short time and being on board 2 hours before departing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I hate to see people being left behind however boarding time is clearly stated and one should be responsible to pay attention to their time. We never booked tours lasting within an hour of departure and gave ourselves at least 2 to 3 hours leeway to allow for walking around in port for a short time and being on board 2 hours before departing.

Agree have never heckled anyone nor would I but it is our responsibility to get back on time . We always are back way to early ,good time to relax on the ship when it is quiet.

41 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We were on a cruise sponsored partial tour of the Panama Canal through Celebrity. Had delays. The Equinox waited 3 hours for us to get back. 

Similarly, we were on a Celebrity ship (the Reflection or Silhouette I think) on a cruise-sponsored snorkeling tour that was an hour late coming back. The cruise waited for us all to come back (about 40-50 ppl) then once the last of us were back, they pushed away in a hurry. The funny part was there were no delays or reason why we should have been late. The 2 tour guides were just having too good of a time, and apparently never bothered to check a clock. It was only when one of the passengers pointed out we should have been back already that they started heading back. 

That was the only time that ever happened to me and I was still nervous! Practically ran back to the ship. 

Edited by jamiebytes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Never will we be close.   If we do a Royal excursion, it is their responsibility to get us back to ship in time, or the ship waits for the excursion to return before leaving. When we do our own (which has become more frequent), we do morning or early afternoon returns to ship to enjoy the ship before everyone has made it back on board.    Our priority is enjoyment, not stress.  

Not exactly.  If the Royal excursion is late enough, they have the option of having the ship leave without you, then getting you to the next port.  Obviously this is very rare, but that's what their rules state.  Their only obligation is to return you to the ship.

• Like 5

Nassau presents its own challenges.  While there are sanctioned excursions, I think all of the ones that are to Atlantis are ones where the cruisers are eventually left to their own schedule after a while.  If you do the aquarium tour, once you reach the end of the tour you are left on your own by the guide and can roam the property with instruction to meet the bus by a certain time to get shuttled back to the ship on time.  I don't recall there being any kind of roll call while getting on the bus returning to the ship.  If you miss those buses, you're left at Atlantis to find your own way back, hoping to get there in time to not miss the ship even though you were on an excursion.

I'm not making an excuse for the late arrivers, they should have paid attention to the time.

5 hours ago, KimPossible1 said:

This is another post where CC posters feel the need to "school" people.  Why can't it be said "gee thats a shame, it would be terrible" instead of making fun of their clothes, saying how "special" they think they are and how rules don't apply to them....jeez  lighten up people!!!   These kind of replies make reading cruise critic not fun!!

I agree, you don't know the reason they were late. A bit of compassion wouldn't hurt 

Edited by sgmn
Spl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Never will we be close.   If we do a Royal excursion, it is their responsibility to get us back to ship in time, or the ship waits for the excursion to return before leaving. When we do our own (which has become more frequent), we do morning or early afternoon returns to ship to enjoy the ship before everyone has made it back on board.    Our priority is enjoyment, not stress.  

As has already been stated, Royal will NOT always wait for you on their excursions, but they WILL provide lodging and transportation to get you to the next available port.  

Oddly enough, the only time I was late was on a ship-sponsored excursion.  I NEVER do ship excursions, but this time I was with a group of friends and they all had their hearts set on this particular excursion, so I overpaid to spend the day with them, and the excursion was late getting back (no delays, just poor time management by the tour company).  

I normally book independently or just go off on my own in a cab, and have never even come close to being late... except the time on a ship's excursion!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Reader I had to make sure we were back in time so DH could grab a cold one. LOL. since we bought the drink package for him, he would wait to get back on board.

Right there with ya what the hell is vaca  for!!! 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

As has already been stated, Royal will NOT always wait for you on their excursions, but they WILL provide lodging and transportation to get you to the next available port.  

Well, it isn't so bad that Royal provides lodging and transportation to the next available port -- when it is a Royal excursion.....and least you are not fending for yourself.  

Believe me when I say it.....we won't be late returning to the ship.

• Like 1

I was once told by a captain that if they are contacted that someone is running late, for a good reason, they will try to wait a few minutes, if they can, but if no one contacts the ship they have no idea where they are, and how late they will be, so they leave on time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I was on that cruise!  (but not on your excursion).  The entire dining room gave you a standing ovation when you got back!  😉  😄

• Haha 2

On one of our cruises, I can't remember which one.  This woman missed the ship, she must have charter a small boat to take her to the ship as it was sailing, we weren't far from the dock.  She  had to jump from the small boat onto the ship, and had lots of shopping bags with her.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GJM said:

On one of our cruises, I can't remember which one.  This woman missed the ship, she must have charter a small boat to take her to the ship as it was sailing, we weren't far from the dock.  She  had to jump from the small boat onto the ship, and had lots of shopping bags with her.

I saw a video of 3 older women that had done this a few years ago.