Nice DIY from Cannes

Mtndancer

We are looking at taking train from Cannes to Nice on our port day for self-guided tour. Big thanks to whoever posted link for Toms Port Guides! Has anyone done this? My biggest fear is will my pittance of French language prevent me from using train and Taxis in Nice. Any experience would be helpful. Thanks

You will be fine :).  The train station ticket window is used to dealing with English speaking folks.  If just planning on going to Nice ask for a "return" ticket (aller-retour in French).  You can also purchase tickets from  vending machines (when they work).  As is the practice with most European regional trains, you need to "validate" your ticket before you board the train.  This is done by inserting your ticket into the small validation machines located near or on the platform.  That machine will stamp a time-date code on the ticket.  Failure to validate can get you fined if there is a ticket check.  Just watch how others do this and you will be fine :).

As to taxis in Nice, we always suggest that folks who have no mobility issues try to do more walking and less riding.  When you walk you actually will see a lot more.  In Nice,  the major tourist areas along the Promanade and also the old town area (which is where they have the "do not miss" Flower Market) are walkable.  Some of the museums would be better reached by taxi or local bus.

You will also meet quite a few locals that speak some English and our experience has been that many locals are very helpful to visitors.  DW likes to tell a tale about when we were trying to find our way through Nice's Old Town (from the inland side to the Flower Market) and got delightfully lost :).  We asked a local gentleman for directions (we speak a teeny bit of French) and he responded so fast that we truly did not understand many of his directions.  When we asked for further clarification he just sighed and guided us through the twisting streets until near our destination (he refused my offer to buy him a café au lait).

As to Nice, besides the Flower Market the first thing that comes to mind is their amazing (and quite unique) fish soup (Soup de Poissons).  Others will seek out Bouillabaise which is more of a Marseille recipe and more of a fish stew then the basic Soupe de Poissons.   

Hank

Thanks. I know we can walk from train station to and around Old Town and that was my plan. I wondered about getting to Castle Hill. Your experience with being able to ask a question and not being able to follow reply was exactly the scenario I envisioned.

1 hour ago, Mtndancer said:

Thanks. I know we can walk from train station to and around Old Town and that was my plan. I wondered about getting to Castle Hill. Your experience with being able to ask a question and not being able to follow reply was exactly the scenario I envisioned.

There are some "tricks" which sound like common sense but often forgotten in the heat of the moment.  For example. if you are walking around a city like Nice and need help/directions just walk into a nearby hotel and ask your question.  Hotel desk clerks and even the doormen are usually multi-lingual and almost always willing to help.   We actually had somebody come up to us in Paris (DW's favorite city) and ask a specific question for which we did not know the answer.  We happened to be right outside a major hotel and suggested to the questioning folks that they go inside and ask their question.  The lady actually started to laugh and said it never occurred to them to do that.

Hank

18 hours ago, Mtndancer said:

I wondered about getting to Castle Hill. 

You can take an elevator to get get up to Castle Hill.  It is located on the street right next to the Hotel Suisse.  The Hotel Suisse is on the Promenade des Anglais, but the elevator is technically located on the Rue des Ponchettes, the small street that leads to the Flower Market.  Here is a picture of the "Ascenseur du Chateau."  If you prefer, or if the elevator is not working (it happens), take the stairs you see right above the entrance.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6944524,7.2791369,3a,75y,125.2h,101.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srzzv1rzSHRc4UrXG-EGnbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Another way of getting up there is taking the Petit Train that makes the tourist circle of Old Nice.  There is also access from the Old Town. 

Edited by marazul