Elizabeth NJ to Central Park - transportation

crilski

We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ.  We'd like to get to Central Park.  (6th & W. 57th)

Uber/Lyft/private - seems to run about $60+ one way

Is there a way to accomplish this via train? subway?  Absolutely ZERO experience using this kind of transportation.

Can a Novice be successful?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, crilski said:

We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ.  We'd like to get to Central Park.  (6th & W. 57th)

Uber/Lyft/private - seems to run about $60+ one way

Is there a way to accomplish this via train? subway?  Absolutely ZERO experience using this kind of transportation.

Can a Novice be successful?

Thanks!

Yes you can do it by public transit.  It requires both train and subway or bus and subway.  Where exactly do you want to go in Central Park? What day of the week and about what time going and returning.

I was hoping you would answer!   We fly in on a Red Eye - and get in at 6am!  UGH . . .  The  best flight to squeeze in time to visit NY city.

So avoiding the morning rush? 10am?   - we would like to do a pedicab tour through Central Park.  The meeting place is 6th Ave & W. 57th.  

Tour - then wander . . . ?  Then find our way back!

We can check into our room at 3pm - so back around that time.

Thanks for your help!

It is a doable walk from either Penn Station or Bus Terminal or Path  to the edge of Central Park. The blocks are short. Just make sure you’re wearing walking shoes. You can take a little break and see Rockefeller Center and/or Bryant Park along the way. Sit on a bench and people watch and have a coffee or water. 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, 138east said:

Yes you can do it by public transit.  It requires both train and subway or bus and subway.  Where exactly do you want to go in Central Park? What day of the week and about what time going and returning.

Destination 6th Ave & 57th St.

Inbound in the morning - train. Hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station, free Airtrain one stop to the Newark Airport Station, train to New York Penn Station $13/pp.  Alternative -Uber to Newark Penn Station and pay $5.25/pp to NY Penn or Uber to the Elizabeth or North Elizabeth stations to avoid the airport surtax. Hotel should be  able to give current advice.

At New York Penn Station take 8th Ave subway ‘E’ train to 53rd & 5th and walk to pedicabs.  

14 hours ago, crilski said:

Thanks 138East - you're awesome!  You are a great source of information.

You’re welcome.  Another question - are you locked into Embassy Suites?  If not, look at the Hilton Penn Station Newark which is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk.  They have a free airport shuttle.  This will greatly simplify your trip and significantly reduce your travel time in and out of NYC as well as your transportation costs - only $5.25/pp each way. 

I'm taking all of your advice - I was able to cancel Embassy Suites and book the Hilton Penn Station. 

The only time I've been to New York, was chaperoning 50 8th graders.  I didn't have to worry about transportation, only herding those rascally teens.

Some more suggestions.  Call the Hilton to verify how you request the shuttle and make sure they will store your luggage.  Print out the NJ Transit train schedule that covers your date.  Train service to NYC will be more frequent if you’re doing this on a weekday morning.  Lots of folks will get off at Newark to take PATH, so you should get seats.

You will save yourselves at least a half hour each way by changing your hotel and will actually be about a mile closer to Cape Liberty.

Thanks again 138East.  I made a call - they will store our luggage.  Our flight arrives at 6am!  UGH . . .   And it's a Friday.   I hope the Hilton isn't too worn . . . I told my husband our goal won't try to save hotel money.  This last January, we stayed in a MOST disgusting hotel in Miami.  Never again . . . . I think things will work out just fine. 

16 hours ago, crilski said:

Thanks again 138East.  I made a call - they will store our luggage.  Our flight arrives at 6am!  UGH . . .   And it's a Friday.   I hope the Hilton isn't too worn . . . I told my husband our goal won't try to save hotel money.  This last January, we stayed in a MOST disgusting hotel in Miami.  Never again . . . . I think things will work out just fine. 

I haven’t stayed there, but I do know that RCL uses the hotel for precruise guests that book a hook through them.  The only complaint has been that the hotel could use updating, but to me that means it doesn’t look like it’s had a HGTV makeover.

• 1 month later...

Hello!  138 East.  Also, due to your suggestions I booked Hilton @Penn Station Newark. We will be arriving at EWR 11 Sept, Wednesday  (from a red eye Las Vegas) approx 7:30 am.  Just realized the date : (

Our cruise is on 12 September, Anthem of the Seas, Royal Caribbean.

Just as a FYI, I was able to get a one night for $162.86 with tax.  No refunds. 

3 minutes ago, vegasgirl702 said:

Hello!  138 East.  Also, due to your suggestions I booked Hilton @Penn Station Newark. We will be arriving at EWR 11 Sept, Wednesday  (from a red eye Las Vegas) approx 7:30 am.  Just realized the date : (

Our cruise is on 12 September, Anthem of the Seas, Royal Caribbean.

Just as a FYI, I was able to get a one night for $162.86 with tax.  No refunds. 

Sounds like a plan!  Post back if you have any questions.