Sydney Nova Scotia

SPSGB

My New England/Canada cruise will be stopping in Sydney. Trying to determine what to do in this port. I looked at a coal miners excursion but decided against it when I read you hike half a mile underground. It’s the underground part that bothers me!  I’m considering the Fortress of Louisbourg tour. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

Looking at the site for the Fortress, it appears that this might not be the best option for a wheelchair, can anyone comment on this please?

Accessibility is a real challenge.  Here is an excerpt from the Parks Canada website:

While its surroundings are accessible to all visitors, it is important to note that the reconstructed 18th century buildings within the fortified town are not fully accessible.

During times when the visitor centre is open, upon request, a bus is available that accommodates manual wheelchairs.  Please feel free to indicate to an attendant if you require this service.

There is a lot of walking within the Fortress of Louisbourg boundaries.  You will surely encounter some rough terrain, loose gravel and steep inclines.  Period construction techniques create limited accessibility to some buildings. Many of the doorways are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair but in some instances the turning radius is not sufficient for a wheelchair once inside the building.  Although parts of the Lighthouse Trail are accessible, loose gravel and inclines may create mobility challenges.  

We can arrange for you to access the site in your personal vehicle via Entrance 2. This will minimize some of the walking. Please feel free to speak with our staff about your options.  Given their knowledge of the site, they are available to help you choose what might work best for you or someone you assist.

5 hours ago, Slugsta said:

@d9704011 Yes, I saw that, which is what prompted my comment. I think I would have loved the fort but it is not worth getting over there if I can't actually see much. There are other things to spend our limited time on  . . .

Yes, I agree that it wouldn’t be a good use of your time (and effort).  If you like lobster (me, I’d rather have a hamburger), the season around Cape Breton will be in full swing at the end of June.  It’s possible that some of the local churches will be having Lobster Suppers (and Lunches) while you’re in Sydney and you may want to check for those.

20 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, I agree that it wouldn’t be a good use of your time (and effort).  If you like lobster (me, I’d rather have a hamburger), the season around Cape Breton will be in full swing at the end of June.  It’s possible that some of the local churches will be having Lobster Suppers (and Lunches) while you’re in Sydney and you may want to check for those.

The sounds fun but we are not actually there until September! 🙂

2 minutes ago, tkilrainrn said:

sad to say that we will be there in mid October......What can we do?

Same time frame we visited in 2017.  The Fortress of Louisbourg is pretty desolate except for the one or two shops which open exclusively for ship excursions.  The tours of the mine have ended by mid October.  The only thing we could find was to visit the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck.  We rented a car and drove over there.  The museum was just okay (not a lot on the telephone which he is obviously famous for, and way too much on his experiments with hydrofoils), but the views along the route were spectacular.  The leaves were still changing, and we made several photo stops.  Roads were in great shape, and the route was easy to follow.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. We will be in port from 1pm til 7pm.   I just saw that the fort closes as 5pm so I think we will have to cross that off of our "to do" list for now.  Thanks for the tip on scenery.  That looks like all we really have a choice of.