Excursions

Nanacajc

Not quite certain of your itinerary, but here are the highlights that we particularly enjoyed:

1/Flam Railway with extension. At the top of the Flam railway we embarked on another train trip to a small town for lunch. Then we rode a bus to

a spot on the coast where we were picked up by the ship. Lots of memorable views on this excursion.

2/ Azamazing Evening in Bergen. An excellent evening of music by Grieg.

3/ Bus excursion to the North Cape.

4/ Not a ship’s tour, but we had an unforgettable White Night with the sides of a Fjord towering over the ship.

Hope this helps.

The BEST excursion on a Norway Fjords cruise is sitting on your veranda or out on deck as you cruise through of the fjords. The views are amazing and always changing with the light as you go along.  We did the Flam railway on our own and saved a lot of money but the extended tour mentioned by Norski sounds very cool too.  We were not on Azamara for our Norway cruise and are not fans of ships tours so we found ourselves doing alot of walking in each port and just wandering around. There are some nice HOHO bus tours and some street trains too in a few cities but the best sight were seen from our veranda.

• Like 1

I will second the recommendation for the Flam railway excursion.  You can do the RR by yourself, but you have to take it back down to Flam.  Only by booking the excursion through the ship do you get the further train ride on the main line, tea at the Stalheim Hotel [with postcard views] and the bus ride down the twisty road to the pickup point in Gudvangen.

Just so you know, IMHO the lunch was overdone with way too many people trying to get around all of the buffet tables set up and took almost 2 hours out of the tour.  The tour was nice as was the train rides but, with all the food we get on board, don not need a huge buffet in a too small room with too many people.  YMMV.

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Just so you know, IMHO the lunch was overdone with way too many people trying to get around all of the buffet tables set up and took almost 2 hours out of the tour.  The tour was nice as was the train rides but, with all the food we get on board, don not need a huge buffet in a too small room with too many people.  YMMV.

My mileage did indeed vary. I finished eating rather quickly and was able to wander the little village and its interesting church.

You are correct about all the food on board, but I suspect had the buffet been smaller perhaps that might have led to rather more complaints 😄.

Regardless, it was one of our better land excursions.

Edited by nordski

If you visit Oslo, do go to Vigeland Park. The sculptures are amazing! You will need to take photos! Every time I go to Oslo, Vigeland is my priority.

Also, there is the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History. We have these in the UK ---- there's one near Chichester and also one near Cardiff. We enjoyed spending several hours on our visit to the Oslo site.

The Holmenkollen Ski Jump tower, museum etc. was interesting the first time I visited: the old wooden tower was still there and the stairs to the top were in a dangerous condition! That's gone now!

On my last visit there was a gleaming new tower. 

Interesting because of the Olympic heritage and if you enjoy skiing the museum has some fascinating information/items.