Replacement for Kelly Hoppen Rocker

cruisingxpert

Is there anyone leaving on today's Edge cruise that can tell us if they have got anything to replace the Kelly Hoppen Rocker.

I rather liked it and would certainly prefer it to nothing in the room other than what appears to be a rather hard couch.

Looking forward to my March cruise on the Edge- warts and all:classic_rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

What happened to the rockers?  I must have missed that.  I basically got tired of following the Edge post a couple of weeks after we took the inaugural cruise. 

A few weeks ago a couple of posters said they had taken the rockers out the night before their cruise ended and told them they were being replaced by smaller ones- maybe?  Don't think people who were picking them up were sure what was going to happen.

👍  They seemed terribly big...taking up too much room.  I could only imagine that the rockers would also be a tripping hazard in those Sky Suites.    Plus passengers were taking them out unto the verandas which is not good for the furniture. 

Thanks for the response. 

25 minutes ago, alishac said:

I was looking forward to the rocker, too. I wonder if we can request to have it brought back into the room if we want it?

If they have removed them from all the suites as has been rumored then they would've taken them off the ship. They would not have room to store all those chairs on an ongoing basis and it would make no sense for them to do that if there was no plan to return them to the cabins.

10 minutes ago, emairs said:

We are on the Edge this week. The rocker is gone from our aft S1.

We have two loungers, which our attendant said were brought from the pool deck.

i don’t know if all the aft suites have them yet.

Thank you for the information.  Have you heard anything about what they might put in the cabin instead?

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I thought it was good news when I read the title.  I thought Rocker was Kelly Hoppen’s married name and we could get a designer that had a better appreciation of the needs and desires of cruise ship passengers.  Maybe someone that had actually been on a ship.

Me too!

1 hour ago, emairs said:

Please come back with more information if you find out about anything else...thank you!

2 hours ago, emairs said:

Sky Suites don't come with loungers. If you arrive to a cabin with them already there it's because they were left over from a previous pax request. While multiple people have reported having success requesting them, some have also reported being told "no" by their butler, in some cases on the same cruise where others got loungers delivered to their cabin. Some butlers just leave the lounge chairs on the balcony at the end of a cruise while others remove them (sometimes on the final night during turndown based on reports from pax on prior cruises). You should go in not expecting any to be there or the possibility that you could be declined getting them added otherwise you risk disappointment.

We were in an aft S1and requested loungers and got them and were glad we did. The balcony area is big enough for them, the two chairs and the micro table. I did use the rocker but would not miss it as I kept banging my feet on the legs  It is too big for the suite.  Overall, I was not impressed with the aft suite especially in comparison with those on S class ships. There is less useful space, less seating, and less storage but Edwin was an excellent butler.

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Glad the rockers are gone!  They took up too much space that could be better used for a small coffee table in front of the couch. Now perhaps people can use room service and walk around the cabin without the rocker in the way.

But that couch is sooo uncomfortable. It hard.. almost like a wood bench.

But then so were the pillows... I moved a pillow out of the way and accidentally hit my husband and he though I was hitting him with a book or something...

I loved the rocker. Only comfortable piece of furniture in the whole Sky Suite.

Edited by angelhelly

The more I read about the Edge the more my heart sinks …….

The ship looks amazing (can't wait to meet Mr Edge) but the cabins' designs really seem to have let the ship down.

I can't say that I have ever read so many negatives about the cabins on any new ship.

Is it me or do Celebrity have to make some changes to make us loyal cruisers smile again?

What a shame after all of the excitement and build up to her launch ………..

Edited by Presto2

28 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

The more I read about the Edge the more my heart sinks …….

The ship looks amazing (can't wait to meet Mr Edge) but the cabins' designs really seem to have let the ship down.

I can't say that I have ever read so many negatives about the cabins on any new ship.

Is it me or do Celebrity have to make some changes to make us loyal cruisers smile again?

What a shame after all of the excitement and build up to her launch ………..

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've sailed 14 days on the Edge and cannot wait to get back onboard (and I will be in the same type of cabin that you have). There is much to love. It just isn't a good match for some at all and others liked much about the ship, but are disappointed about some things - this is a good place to let X know about things that need improvement (so that maybe there will be improvements for us to enjoy when we sail).

Reading CC is a double-edged sword - we are better prepared for our cruises, but lose some of the surprise and wonder of discovering things for ourselves (and aren't as apt to doubt what we like because of other negative reviews). I am so glad that on was on early Edge cruises - I reread my live thread starting with my first Edge cruise on Nov 25th and my excitement and happiness were palpable - despite some disappointments, I had such a wonderful time!  Hope that you can board the Edge with excitement and relax and enjoy everything she has to offer (and your big anniversary)! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vt..so true!

Things I thought would  trouble me were no trouble at all ( IV  cabin) ;   and other issues that arose were not even on the radar (  like bad acoustics in many places including BLU,  and Grand Plaza, and too much sun and wind on  top decks)

Glad I knew so much about EDGE ahead of time..It made it easier to negotiate, but discovering new stuff was  also  an exciting adventure! 

Seven days was not enough to see or  do it all

We have one more cuise booked on EDGE....that should give us time for more  acti ities and  exploration... After that back to M  and S Class

Edited by hcat

52 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've sailed 14 days on the Edge and cannot wait to get back onboard (and I will be in the same type of cabin that you have). There is much to love. It just isn't a good match for some at all and others liked much about the ship, but are disappointed about some things - this is a good place to let X know about things that need improvement (so that maybe there will be improvements for us to enjoy when we sail).

Reading CC is a double-edged sword - we are better prepared for our cruises, but lose some of the surprise and wonder of discovering things for ourselves (and aren't as apt to doubt what we like because of other negative reviews). I am so glad that on was on early Edge cruises - I reread my live thread starting with my first Edge cruise on Nov 25th and my excitement and happiness were palpable - despite some disappointments, I had such a wonderful time!  Hope that you can board the Edge with excitement and relax and enjoy everything she has to offer (and your big anniversary)! 🙂

This is a great reply to my post -- thanks yet again. Looking back when we sailed on Silhouette on her first proper cruise the reviews were terrible, but we had had  a wonderful time and booked 2 other cruises after on her. I remember leaving her the last time with tears streaming down my face …. ahhhhh

I suppose it is a shame that all reviews of a new ship always seem to be so negative - perhaps that is human nature.

Us. Well we tend to go and just enjoy !!! Now that we have moved to that SV cabin we are so excited about the ship and know hat we will have a great time. CC and the info on here has helped us to make the decision to move cabins and we will always be very grateful to all of you who have helped us with this decision

So, we will most definitely board with excitement …….

OHHHH Yessss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

xxxx

41 minutes ago, hcat said:

Vt..so true!

Things I thought would  trouble me were no trouble at all ( IV  cabin) ;   and other issues that arose were not even on the radar (  like bad acoustics in many places including BLU,  and Grand Plaza, and too much sun and wind on  top decks)

Glad I knew so much about EDGE ahead of time..It made it easier to negotiate, but discovering new stuff was  also  an exciting adventure! 

Seven days was not enough to see or  do it all

We have one more cuise booked on EDGE....that should give us time for more  acti ities and  exploration... After that back to M  and S Class

Looking back the main issue re the Silhouette aft cabins was the soot --- I remember the photos and reviews now ..

Today, I would be more than happy to go back to Silly 8353 and her soot ………...

2 hours ago, angelhelly said:

But that couch is sooo uncomfortable. It hard.. almost like a wood bench.

But then so were the pillows... I moved a pillow out of the way and accidentally hit my husband and he though I was hitting him with a book or something...

I loved the rocker. Only comfortable piece of furniture in the whole Sky Suite.

Clearly the fancy designers didn’t think about comfort and use.  Maybe they never cruised before so they don’t understand comfort and functionality are critical.

I have been told many times by Celebrity that all one has to do is request a lounger or at least a chair that reclines and has a foot stool like S class.  My TA also called and was told the same.  If anyone has requested a lounger or other piece of furniture like one and been told no, please share on here...Yes, I am expecting to have one for my huge balcony...lounger or reclining chair with foot stool, as either is acceptable for me.  And yes, the reclining chairs were on S class with the larger tables...those are similar to loungers, but not one piece.  I have read several accounts of those requesting loungers and getting them...but have never read about anyone who did not until now.  I believe the only "authorities" on here are those who have been told yes or no, but I have not read anything about the naysayers! 

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

I have been told many times by Celebrity that all one has to do is request a lounger or at least a chair that reclines and has a foot stool like S class.  My TA also called and was told the same.  If anyone has requested a lounger or other piece of furniture like one and been told no, please share on here...Yes, I am expecting to have one for my huge balcony...lounger or reclining chair with foot stool, as either is acceptable for me.  And yes, the reclining chairs were on S class with the larger tables...those are similar to loungers, but not one piece.  I have read several accounts of those requesting loungers and getting them...

The only 2 that I have heard of being refused were: 1) the very first commercial cruise (3 night) - I received one when I asked and the person below me in a sky suite didn't get one (I had been injured and my face was a mess and they probably were giving me a way to get some sun without going to the Retreat - probably thought I would scare people 😉). I think right away they realized what a mistake the sky suite balcony furniture was and then I haven't heard about anyone in a sky suite being refused since (but obviously I might have missed a report).

2) someone in a CS was refused because it was a "safety issue". It may be that the butlers were told that all sky suites could have a lounger, if people asked, but since they had a limited number and the CS has comfortable chairs (granted no foot stools) they would not get them (or maybe they tried it one time and it was too crowded). I'm just guessing why, not agreeing with the decision.

Am I forgetting any others? Those are the only 2 refusals I remember seeing on CC (and one wasn't a sky suite and the other was the very first commercial cruise so was uncharted territory). I know on my Jan 20 cruise, we were offered 2, our friends did get 2 and when I asked if 2 sky suites could have loungers the following week (request by a CC person), I was told "no problem, do they want 2?" 

It was a hot topic among the staff and guests and my guess is that loungers will be added at least to the aft S1's and maybe reclining chairs and foot stools to the other sky suites with smaller balconies at some point. There really needs to be consistency, IMO - it is crazy to drag the loungers back and forth. This is a failure that is fixable.

I wish I were going with you, Lastdance, because we could raid the pool deck at night to get you a lounger so that you can have the relaxing cruise that you so deserve and need. 😉  Actually, I think they will come through for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Es The only 2 that I have heard of being refused were: 1) the very first commercial cruise (3 night) - I received one when I asked and the person below me in a sky suite didn't get one (I had been injured and my face was a mess and they probably were giving me a way to get some sun without going to the Retreat - probably thought I would scare people 😉). I think right away they realized what a mistake the sky suite balcony furniture was and then I haven't heard about anyone in a sky suite being refused since (but obviously I might have missed a report).

2) someone in a CS was refused because it was a "safety issue". It may be that the butlers were told that all sky suites could have a lounger, if people asked, but since they had a limited number and the CS has comfortable chairs (granted no foot stools) they would not get them (or maybe they tried it one time and it was too crowded). I'm just guessing why, not agreeing with the decision.

Am I forgetting any others? Those are the only 2 refusals I remember seeing on CC (and one wasn't a sky suite and the other was the very first commercial cruise so was uncharted territory). I know on my Jan 20 cruise, we were offered 2, our friends did get 2 and when I asked if 2 sky suites could have loungers the following week (request by a CC person), I was told "no problem, do they want 2?" 

It was a hot topic among the staff and guests and my guess is that loungers will be added at least to the aft S1's and maybe reclining chairs and foot stools to the other sky suites with smaller balconies at some point. There really needs to be consistency, IMO - it is crazy to drag the loungers back and forth. This is a failure that is fixable.

I wish I were going with you, Lastdance, because we could raid the pool deck at night to get you a lounger so that you can have the relaxing cruise that you so deserve and need. 😉  Actually, I think they will come through for you!

VT(Marilyn)...I also wish you were on the TA, as we would have so much fun, looking for fun in all the right places too!  My DH agrees that our cabin will have one or our butler will get one for us.  If Bogdan is still onboard, he will certainly be a person of interest to ask.  My glass is always half full, and it will remain that way...many thanks for sharing specifics!  Celebrity has heard prior cruisers, so I am confident that it will work out just fine....again, I thank those who have cruised before and made their voices heard.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it tactfully and with a good reason!  

~Suzy

Edited by Lastdance
Sorry if I spelled Bogdan incorrectly...
  • Like 1