Ovation of the Seas on high Bio Security alert in Auckland today 18 Feb

After a lone Australian male fruit fly was found in Devonport last week , any passengers taking the ferry over there will have to face extra bio and agricultural searches . The Govt is spending over $1 million per day to find if there are any more fruit fly's but so far there has only been the one. 

Theory , and guesswork only , is that the Queensland fruit fly could have come over on a cruise ship .

764263328_18ovak.thumb.jpg.2537c9083589737b6cfdec3fa2c672cb.jpg

Bummer, I have witnessed so many people smuggling things on and off the ship, unfortunately it is after the fact and not before but I do tell them why the bio security is in place. They usually tell me it is crap and only a cruise money grabbing exercise.

2 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Why would anyone want to take hard boiled eggs off the ship 

Cheers Carole

Haven't done myself, but portable, protein, dry so don't leak/make a mess/spoil. Seems preferable to say ham, tomato, many other things.

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Haven't done myself, but portable, protein, dry so don't leak/make a mess/spoil. Seems preferable to say ham, tomato, many other things.

What am I missing here,why do you want to take any food stuff off ?

Without thinking my mum grabbed a banana while eating breakfast and was like I'll have a snack when we are off ship. Our tour ends at 1 lunchtime but this will keep me going if I get hungry. 

I was like umm Mum you can't. Once I explained she was like oh duh of course what was I thinking. 

I can't remember which cruise but they were checking bags as we left the ship. Saying all food no matter if it was packaged could be taken off. Not sure how that works for babies or diabetics ??

20 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Why would anyone want to take hard boiled eggs off the ship 

Cheers Carole

I've often done that on land tours. Grab a couple of boiled eggs at breakfast for a mid morning snack. I also carry a few salt and pepper sachets to add a little spice. Would never take them of a ship though.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep some people are very frugal once aboard, you wonder why they bother to cruise.

I have a cousin who took a cruise with his wife to New Zealand.... Inside cabin ( the cheapest ) drank water and free teas...  did not spend a cent.... on board or on shore..... OMG.....

I suppose you would call them "frugal " 

Cheers Don

8 minutes ago, Nelie said:

Well a comedian on my last cruise got spot on . 

He was talking about people rushing back to the ship for lunch. 

Well I paid for it. Why would I eat off ship.

The whole audience cracked up laughing 

Actually we do that some times,  go back to ship for lunch........

but not because we have paid for it.....    ( even though my partner jokes about that it the reason )

mainly if we have a great view from our balcony and it is a nice day.. and sit and enjoy food with a glass of wine

Cheers Don

We often do a morning tour that's drops us back at the ship at lunch time. 

So we often eat on the ship on shore days. We drop off anything we won't need at the time to. Then usually get off and do exploring on foot or shop. 

We might grab a sweet snack of something local then.

But we had no tour on our last cruise planned we just walked around so we ate all off ship shore days 

5 hours ago, Nelie said:

Well a comedian on my last cruise got spot on . 

He was talking about people rushing back to the ship for lunch. 

Well I paid for it. Why would I eat off ship.

The whole audience cracked up laughing 

LOL, You only have to see the rush at each port between 11.45am and 1pm getting back to the ship, and subsequently leaving it again for the afternoon.

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Actually we do that some times,  go back to ship for lunch........

but not because we have paid for it.....    ( even though my partner jokes about that it the reason )

mainly if we have a great view from our balcony and it is a nice day.. and sit and enjoy food with a glass of wine

Cheers Don

If we have finished exploring the port and such or our tour has finished we also go back to the ship. However, if it is lunchtime and we are not on the ship, we buy something local.