Ship by Ship Internet Plans

richwmn

I know that several threads exist discussing the two internet plans that have been available from HAL. What I am interested in, and trying to do, is to list all ships and which type of internet plan is available. Two reasons. 1. So everyone knows, and 2. because HAL stated mid year last year that all ships would be on the new "unlimited" plans by the end of the year. Did the meet that goal? If you answer,  please enter ship, date, and plan available.

I am currently on Nieuw Statendam with the unlimited plans

Nieuw Statendam; Feb 17, 2019; unlimited.

• Thanks 1

Koningsdam has been added as unlimited, so that makes about half the fleet being reported as unlimited. So it appears that HAL did make good on this promise.

I would still like to see the other ships verified.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Rich

15 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Koningsdam has been added as unlimited, so that makes about half the fleet being reported as unlimited. So it appears that HAL did make good on this promise.

I would still like to see the other ships verified.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Rich

I hope so (making good on their promise).  That would be great.

Waiting to hear about Westerdam, our next ship 🙂  

Thanks for doing this Rich.

Edited by Cruising-along

Perhaps you might check in on John & Dinane's thread on the Amsterdam World Cruise.  I think they're usually pretty good about answering questions.  One followup would be how the plan works on the Amsterdam Grand Voyage.  On the Prinsendam what is offered is one day or 31 days but nothing for the duration of the voyage.  The pre-cruise booklet gave prices for the 80 days but they are not available at sign-in.  The front desk says they will make good on the listed price at the end of the cruise.  That will be interesting.

Roy

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I hope so (making good on their promise).  That would be great.

Waiting to hear about Westerdam, our next ship 🙂  

Thanks for doing this Rich.

Westerdam was the first ship to come out with unlimited internet.  They've had it since at least April, 2016 (the first time we were on).  so, you should be good 😄 

We had three unlimited plans on the Amsterdam's Grand Pacific voyage last fall.  Actually, there may have been a forth - a daily plan, plus three others.  I  know that there were at least two others that covered the entire voyage.  The most expensive one covered streaming, I think.  The middle plan, "Surfer", was sufficient for mail and Googling.  

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

I am on the Oosterdam May 26 and I can not see the internet options and how to buy it.  Are the plans available this far out (3 months)?

In general, internet can only be purchased on board. You can buy obc to cover the cost if you wish to take care of it in advance.

17 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

Where do I see the prices for the Westerdam's internet?  We are sailing for 14 nights in March and have some OBC we could use.  Also, is it really worth it?  Meaning how slow is it really?

Sometimes it is terrible and sometimes very good. It depends on where you are and what time of the day you try to use it.

image.png.68d04bacc77fdd23c2ec99b2b98f4c

11 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

Thanks Catl331.  Where do I see what is included in Social, Surf & Premium?

Social is social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, etc) only. Surf is general surfing - all sites, e-mail, etc.  Premium they say is for "streaming", but reports have said that the speed is not all that much better than the Surf level. (I've never tried it.)

8269a431ed8d2278e9cb1f5b75cf10ff.jpg

Edited by catl331
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

At this point someone has reported in on all ships except Eurodam and Maasdam, and all reported ships have the three tier unlimited plans.

On 5/29/18 Haboob reported having unlimited on Eurodam

On 11/18/18 Liamur14 said

"Maasdam: While on board ( Polyhnesia Idyll ) ,I was offered 20$ for 3 days of surfing, log in from both phones and macs. This was offered on line once I commited to paying for 1 day for 15$. I was surprised and took it. It was pretty slow but still okay."

Edited by catl331

18 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Premium they say is for "streaming", but reports have said that the speed is not all that much better than the Surf level.

My experience was that "streaming" was worse than "surf".  This was on the Rotterdam, Voyage of the Vikings last summer.  I made the mistake of upgrading to streaming for the last week, thinking that I'd be able to FaceTime with the grandkids more easily, and watch the videos they sent me.  Instead it was worse.  Could have just been my experience on that ship, I don't know.

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

My experience was that "streaming" was worse than "surf".  This was on the Rotterdam, Voyage of the Vikings last summer.  I made the mistake of upgrading to streaming for the last week, thinking that I'd be able to FaceTime with the grandkids more easily, and watch the videos they sent me.  Instead it was worse.  Could have just been my experience on that ship, I don't know.

It may also have been the position of the ship vis  a vis the satellite transmission.  We had no internet connection at times when we were in the Pacific Ocean, and the explanation was the location of the satellite transmission.