What did you do to Cagneys Mr Stuart?

Postman1963

7 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Cagney's was our least favourite specialty restaurant on the Breakaway last week. Crab cake was stone cold and lobster bisque had a skin on the top. Steaks were over cooked and tough as nails. Very disappointing.

actually one of our least favorites always so last week on the Dawn we didn't seem to see it s going down hill at all. For anyone to judge a restaurant based on fries is a bit surprising. I did have a steak and it was under cooked but that was partially my fault. I should not have ordered it rare. The description of rare was just that and I didn't pay any attention. Overall we didn't think it was any different than in years past. It was neither really outstanding nor really bad. The prices were high.  

The fries at Cagneys have been declining for years.  Anyone remember the fries from 10 years ago?  They have changed at least 2 times since then.  I have not cruised in a few years and probably changed again.  Their fries were amazing.  I never noticed beef quality changing.  Although, I liked the seasoning Cagneys used to put on steaks prior to 2014.  What they did get rid of were their upscale appetizers.

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

actually one of our least favorites always so last week on the Dawn we didn't seem to see it s going down hill at all. For anyone to judge a restaurant based on fries is a bit surprising. I did have a steak and it was under cooked but that was partially my fault. I should not have ordered it rare. The description of rare was just that and I didn't pay any attention. Overall we didn't think it was any different than in years past. It was neither really outstanding nor really bad. The prices were high.  

Ah, McDonald's has been built on fries. Gordon Biersch is known for their garlic fries and in my home town Chicky & Pete's crab fries are legendary. Don't sleep on fries as a way to get customers in the door. 

I have been trying to decide between Cagney's and Le Bistro, this thread supports my plan for Le Bistro, thanks.

• Thanks 1

We just got off of the Pride of America on Feb 16 and I must say, Cagney's was fantastic.  Our party of 16 was seated with 10 hours to go due to bad weather and not being able to dock in Maui.  We figured we should try something different than  the main dining room.....  What a great decision.  The striploin in the MDR was just OK. But the RibEye in Cagney's was top notch.

Just my two cents!

Can’t say as I’ve noticed a drop off at Cagney’s.  Ate there last fall on the Breakaway.  Great steak (as always) cooked the exact way I like them (medium rare).  Admittedly, I’m not a “fries” person.  So, I can’t comment on that.

Don’t recall anything else being “sub-par” with the 2x I ate there last.

Will try them again week after next on the Escape and report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nola26 said:

Ah, McDonald's has been built on fries. Gordon Biersch is known for their garlic fries and in my home town Chicky & Pete's crab fries are legendary. Don't sleep on fries as a way to get customers in the door. 

I have been trying to decide between Cagney's and Le Bistro, this thread supports my plan for Le Bistro, thanks.

so true but McDonalds isn't a steak restaurant known for quality meat. As for which to choose, I would take Le Bistro over Cagney's  any day. One thing I will say though is: hubby didn't like his lamb in Le Bistro this time. He loved everything else. I did enjoy mine. We ate there twice. 

Thanks  we will be on the Epic in September and will go with Le Bistro, La Cucina and Cirque Premium for our Specialty options. First time with the package so an adventure. 

We will go a la carte at Los Lobos on Bliss on Saturday, our first crack at a Specialty!

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Can’t say as I’ve noticed a drop off at Cagney’s.  Ate there last fall on the Breakaway.  Great steak (as always) cooked the exact way I like them (medium rare).  Admittedly, I’m not a “fries” person.  So, I can’t comment on that.

Don’t recall anything else being “sub-par” with the 2x I ate there last.

Will try them again week after next on the Escape and report back.

I was on the Breakaway in December and didn't notice any sub-par food or service at Cagney's.  I love fries, but have never liked those at Cagney's, so I couldn't say if they are better or worse.

16 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

On the Star for 14 days, had Cagney's 4 times and loved it. I had all the appetizers and my DH had surf and turf. Could it vary by ship?

It could.  We were on the Star last March and Cagney's was SO GOOD but on the Bliss in September I had to send my steak back twice.  Hopefully it will be better in April but I'll enjoy myself anyway!

9 minutes ago, Love Blue said:

It could.  We were on the Star last March and Cagney's was SO GOOD but on the Bliss in September I had to send my steak back twice.  Hopefully it will be better in April but I'll enjoy myself anyway!

On the Breakaway Jan 27-Feb 7 and Cagney’s was outstanding.  2 couples and all have great cuts of Beef!  Enjoy.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:35 PM, Postman1963 said:

The star of Cagneys was the fries.  They have changed to something from the frozen food aisle.

The T bone almost requires a chainsaw to cut.  

We were on the Bliss B2B in January.  In our review thread we rated all of the food venues.

Also, below is the specific rating of Cagney's.  :classic_sad:  It "went" from being our favorite NCL venue to one we never "went" to again. 

To be fair "to Cagneys," we later noted that others had great experiences there as well as bad; so, we believe  it is not a 'guarantee anymore.  Then there is the issue of waitstaff and how it has changed as such venues from long-term specialty dining experienced women and men to staff that might not have any idea what they are offering.

To be fair "to NCL," we've experienced the same thing at Chops Grill on RCCL; extremely disappointing on the exact same points.

We had surprisingly great experiences at Food Republic (#1, went there for lunch on sea days and dinner a couple of times each week), LaCucina and Q.  Expected Food Republic to be great and it didn't disappoint; LaCucina has made a massive improvement (over our prior experiences) and Q was simply delightful (Texas BBQ in style versus piles of food).

CAGNEYS – D

We book Cagney’s on NCL 2-3 per week typically.  After our first dinner in week one, we cancelled all of the other reservations.  We ordered shrimp apps that disappointed in size of shrimp and iced texture.  Like those in a frozen bag 31-40 count.  Certainly different then our first cruises on this class of ship, not only with regard to size (yes, I know you can order several) but also not prepared properly at all.  We shared an iceberg lettuce wedge; best part of the meal.  Then the disappointment.  My Australian lamb looked perfectly cooked medium rare and was.  However, it had ZERO TASTE.  Never figured that out, NOT ONLY NOT GAMEY, but didn’t taste like anything at all.  Wife’s 5 Oz fillet was perfectly colored medium, beautiful sear; absolutely ZERO TASTE.  Our onion rings (I got 2) were cold and the batter had separated from the onions.  When our server “finally” came back, our plates were 3/4ths uneaten.  Never even asked why.  This would have been an F, but we’ve had dozens of great meals at Cagney’s before.

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

We were on the Bliss B2B in January.  In our review thread we rated all of the food venues.

Also, below is the specific rating of Cagney's.  :classic_sad:  It "went" from being our favorite NCL venue to one we never "went" to again. 

To be fair "to Cagneys," we later noted that others had great experiences there as well as bad; so, we believe  it is not a 'guarantee anymore.  Then there is the issue of waitstaff and how it has changed as such venues from long-term specialty dining experienced women and men to staff that might not have any idea what they are offering.

To be fair "to NCL," we've experienced the same thing at Chops Grill on RCCL; extremely disappointing on the exact same points.

We had surprisingly great experiences at Food Republic (#1, went there for lunch on sea days and dinner a couple of times each week), LaCucina and Q.  Expected Food Republic to be great and it didn't disappoint; LaCucina has made a massive improvement (over our prior experiences) and Q was simply delightful (Texas BBQ in style versus piles of food).

CAGNEYS – D

We book Cagney’s on NCL 2-3 per week typically.  After our first dinner in week one, we cancelled all of the other reservations.  We ordered shrimp apps that disappointed in size of shrimp and iced texture.  Like those in a frozen bag 31-40 count.  Certainly different then our first cruises on this class of ship, not only with regard to size (yes, I know you can order several) but also not prepared properly at all.  We shared an iceberg lettuce wedge; best part of the meal.  Then the disappointment.  My Australian lamb looked perfectly cooked medium rare and was.  However, it had ZERO TASTE.  Never figured that out, NOT ONLY NOT GAMEY, but didn’t taste like anything at all.  Wife’s 5 Oz fillet was perfectly colored medium, beautiful sear; absolutely ZERO TASTE.  Our onion rings (I got 2) were cold and the batter had separated from the onions.  When our server “finally” came back, our plates were 3/4ths uneaten.  Never even asked why.  This would have been an F, but we’ve had dozens of great meals at Cagney’s before.

Our first and many other times at Cagneys were highlighted by the enormous 3 prawn shrimp cocktail and the fantastic steak fries. (Known as Cagney fries on the menu).  The various meat offerings were always melt in your mouth tender.  This was starting in 2008 when Kevin Sheehan was CEO.  That also was when NCL cared more about the experience rather than how much money they could suck out of each passenger.  Andy Stuart has completely changed this.

AJ

Cagneyson Dawn was a big disappointment ...soup ..lobster bisque was a minute portion  at the bottom of a big hollow plate .My son called the waiter and got another ladle ...a la carte 8$ ...for 1/4 ofa soup 

steak was served ....kerplunk ..tiny piece of very lonely meat ...fillets arevery tiny once cooked ...it looked pitifuland lonely  ..no veggie no decorations ...empty 

anything we asked forwas extra ..we did get side of mashed ...all others were $$$ 

maitred dressed it with 2 ..count them ..2 asparagus spears 

we had 2 more spe ialty meals...did not go ...dining room foodwasbetter...plentiful and yes you could havemore than one portion ...my son loves soup had 6 bowls in MDR .

spe ialty are getting ridiculously cheap inportions and extras ...even if we get coupons forthem theyarenot worth it with 24$ max on them ...most items aremore thatthat 

i dont think we will use our coupons again ...they are too restrictive ..we come to eat not sample dimnutive nouvellecuisine ..aka starvation diet 

if you are givingsomething to loyal customers donot put restrictions onit...it just makes you look super cheap 

• Like 1