Croatia

Werangels

Hello Werangels,

Our first Azamara Cruise was to Croatia on the Journey in 2017. It was similar to, but not exactly the same as your potential trip—we did Zadar, Hvar, Dubrovnik. It was really magical—such a gorgeous and relatively undiscovered part of the world. We went to Krka National Park on Zadar day; we divided Havar into two, exploring the town in the morning and getting one of the boats (see in Tiggertown’s photo) to the Pakleni islands for some beach time and lunch in the afternoon. As we were there in August, Dubrovnik was mobbed, and we used a New York Times article to lead us to some places off the beaten path. We did the same in Venice. Don’t hesitate—it will be an unforgettable trip! It is certainly the easiest way to see Croatia—I hear the driving is pretty tricky.   I thought I posted a review in Sep 2017 which you may be able to find. 

Hi Werangels, 

i see you have received plenty of valuable advice re Croatia since yesterday.

i am glad to see you are also visiting Kotor as has previously been commented the cruise in to port is spectacular.

As well as having such gorgeous scenery we found the Croatian people to be warm and friendly. They have been involved in major for a few years less than surrounding countries so possibly this made some of the experience feel more authentic.

We were actually very tired after several active touring days when we arrived at Split and were just going to stroll into town when we saw a tut-tut outside the port gates. For a smallish amount (maybe 20euro??) we had the most amazing 2 hour personal tour. We went 15 minutes out of the city and have a very tasty but cheap wine at a beach where a lot of Croatians swim as well as visiting the main tourist attractions.

Another highlight was the tut-tut taking us up many narrow streets and alleys around the palace and along the main promenade. Apparently there were 2 tut-tuts newly arrived from Italy.

As others have also said you are very lucky being in Dubrovnik when it is less crowded and tendering into the old town.

11 hours ago, NeilWM said:

Hi Werangels, 

i see you have received plenty of valuable advice re Croatia since yesterday.

i am glad to see you are also visiting Kotor as has previously been commented the cruise in to port is spectacular.

As well as having such gorgeous scenery we found the Croatian people to be warm and friendly. They have been involved in major for a few years less than surrounding countries so possibly this made some of the experience feel more authentic.

We were actually very tired after several active touring days when we arrived at Split and were just going to stroll into town when we saw a tut-tut outside the port gates. For a smallish amount (maybe 20euro??) we had the most amazing 2 hour personal tour. We went 15 minutes out of the city and have a very tasty but cheap wine at a beach where a lot of Croatians swim as well as visiting the main tourist attractions.

Another highlight was the tut-tut taking us up many narrow streets and alleys around the palace and along the main promenade. Apparently there were 2 tut-tuts newly arrived from Italy.

As others have also said you are very lucky being in Dubrovnik when it is less crowded and tendering into the old town.

Thank you Neil.  The itinerary we have chosen does not include Kotor.  The tuktuk sounds fab.  We did a similar thing in Funchal last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

We did the 8 day Croatian Treasures cruise last year.  We went to:  Sibenik (awesome), diverted to Hvar due to too much wind in Split, Dubrovnik, Rijeka, Zadar, Kotor, Korcula (loved it) and Venice of course.  We went at the same time that you're going.  It was boiling hot in Venice.  Even the locals were complaining.  It was so bad that you were literally drenched in sweat the minute you walked out of air conditioning.  They started having a little bit of the high tides when we left and a week after we got home, Venice was flooded.  I guess it's due to the winds and they arrived a week or so early last year (according to what we were told).

The Azamazing Evening was spectacular in Dubrovnik.  Ana Rucner was quite a show person and the length of it was just right.  We were truly amazed at how well they orchestrated the movement of all of those people in freezing cold heavy winds from the ship to the venue right in old town.  They even had rum-laced hot chocolate and blankets to keep us warm.  I learned a valuable lesson though - do not bother dressing up when the weather is like that!  I wore a dress, trying to follow the dress code.  My legs and feet became icicles.  The snack buffet afterwards was incredible!  The best food we've had out of 45 cruises.  We both walked away from our first Azamara cruise loving it.  If they had more short cruises, we'd sail with them exclusively.

I'm sure you'll relate to this. I've been to Croatia a few times on a ship, but really wanted to immerse myself in the place and see some of the coast and Islands that I hadn't seen before. So 18 months ago I went on a luxury motor yacht for a week, Split to Dubrovnik and back. Just 20 of us. 

The scenery was spectacular and spending overnight in each port was fun. Totally the other way around to a cruise ship. Motor during some of the day. In port all night.  Swimming in the sea off the back off the boat most days. Very special. But you know what?  I really missed the standards of service and food that I have received on Azamara. And it wasn't cheap!

Phil 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm sure you'll relate to this. I've been to Croatia a few times on a ship, but really wanted to immerse myself in the place and see some of the coast and Islands that I hadn't seen before. So 18 months ago I went on a luxury motor yacht for a week, Split to Dubrovnik and back. Just 20 of us. 

The scenery was spectacular and spending overnight in each port was fun. Totally the other way around to a cruise ship. Motor during some of the day. In port all night.  Swimming in the sea off the back off the boat most days. Very special. But you know what?  I really missed the standards of service and food that I have received on Azamara. And it wasn't cheap!

Phil 

We did that too, Phil. I loved it, Nick not so much. I loved swimming off the back of the boat and going into town for evening meals (it was half board - included lunch). You’re right tho’, the service was definitely not up to Azamara standards. Food was pretty good - but not to Azamara standards.

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The buffet breakfasts drove me crazy.  Never hot.  Luke warm at best, but it was still fun.  I don’t think I’d do it again, but glad I tried it.

Phil

Yes, Nick said the same. It didn’t bother me as I don’t eat a cooked breakfast - just bread/pastries and fruit/yogurt.

One thing to note if you're going to Zadar and Sibenik - Krka National Park is closer to Sibenik.  Pre-cruise, we saw tours being offered from both ports up until about 7 months prior, then they didn't offer the one from Sibenik anymore.  Bonnie helped and I also made enquiries and we were both told that the Sibenik tour would not be offered.  Flash forward to the cruise and sure enough, they offered the much closer tour from Sibenik but by this time, we had already booked the other tour and made other plans in Sibenik.

Regarding the Krka Nat'l. Park tour, it is one strenuous tour.  Be prepared for a lot of stairs.  I thought I had prepared for this cruise by working out and walking 2.5 miles 2-3 times a week and getting a cortisone shot in my bad knee.  We both have bad knees and stairs are not our friend.  But, we're in generally very good health and are in our early 50's. 

The walk down to the falls at Krka was a breeze.  The tour group couldn't move fast enough.  Most of the people were 20-30 years older than me and were struggling with that simple walk down to the falls.  Then we came to a set of about 30 stairs which wasn't too bad for us but some of the older people were really struggling.  The worst part was getting out of there.  There was only one way we could go up to the bus and that was up a TON of stairs with little or no handrail for part of it.  It was extremely hot and humid (even the locals were complaining). 

What a hike up those stairs!  We didn't think we were going to make it.  We wondered how the elderly passengers were going to make it if we couldn't?  We'd go up a huge string of stairs, get to the top and think we were done with them.  Nope!  There'd be another massive set of stairs to go up.  This went on and on. 

The rest of the tour was very well done and there was a bathroom break/snack break half way during the drive which was planned out well.  Just be prepared for a heck of a climb if you have even the slightest of mobility issues.

We will be in Sibenik in early June.  Looks like a great port.  Any advice?  We are normally 'get off the ship and wander' as really don't like ships tours.  Is this a good idea in this port or any recommendations for private tours (certainly not the Krka falls).

thank you.

5 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We will be in Sibenik in early June.  Looks like a great port.  Any advice?  We are normally 'get off the ship and wander' as really don't like ships tours.  Is this a good idea in this port or any recommendations for private tours (certainly not the Krka falls).

thank you.

Not on your cruise, but couldn’t resist posting. We went to Sibenik with Azamara last year. It’s a great port to just wander around in. If you walk along the front from the berth, you get to St Francis cathedral, then if you make your way upwards through the narrow streets you can call in and see monastery gardens ( a recreation of what monastery gardens would have looked like) then continue up to St Michaels fortress for fabulous views. It’s all well signed too. We loved it.

We took a taxi up to St. Michael's Fortress.  I think it was about 14Kuna one way - incredibly cheap.  Very interesting to tour if you like history.  They even have an amphitheater there and I was hoping we could see a performance but the timing was wrong.  There's a great view of the ship from there.  After that, we walked downhill passing St. James' Cathedral (I wanted to stop, DH didn't), some shops and some restaurants.  We continued down to the ship from there.  It was an easy walk down to the ship, approx. 1-1.5 miles.

By the time we finished with the fortress, other cruise ship passengers were just getting there that had walked up the hill.  This way, we avoided crowds, although they didn't seem to be that bad anywhere we went in this port compared to others.

The sail out from Sibenik through St. Anthony's Channel is really special!  Tons of small sailing vessels, the national park on the port side and the Fortress of St. Nicolas all made it a spectacular end to our cruise. 

IMG_1477.JPG

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

2 hours ago, Werangels said:

There wasn’t many choices on cabins so we are on the starboard side so will be on the deck when we leave port.  I imagine it is a quite exciting?  

It is, much nicer being with others and being able to walk so easily from side to side to see the views all the way around.

• Thanks 1