what time can you leave ship at Flam

wolf7

If you are ready to go, but not before, you should go to the designated area for tender tickets if you are DiY.   If tendering how soon tendering operations will begin is an unknown but of course P&O will want it well underway for its earliest tour departures. (Times quoted for tours at tender ports are the departure time from on shore - not leaving the ship so passengers on excursions will tendered off in time to get them to the coaches for departure time.)  You might get a feel for timings by checking the earliest tour departure times.  As independent travellers if you collect a tender ticket before the time needed to transfer tour passengers off, you could well be called before them.  Of course they stop tendering independent travellers whenever they need to move excursion guests - they get priority at the time they need to leave.  In gaps in the timings, DiY passengers will be allowed to tender again. We've often been off before the excursions start.  In the interests of efficiency they're keen to keep people moving but it's impossible to predict .  Other than being ready to pick up tender tickets as early as you can in which case you'll be off as quickly as possible for independent travellers, it's really not possible to make an accurate prediction.

The other thing you can check is if there are any other ship's in port with you.  If you check 

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

You may be able to see If any other ships are due in Flam the same day as you.  It won't tell you which one is berthed although you may pick that up if there's a Flam port website with a cruise calender you can find. 

Again not something set in stone - even if you appear to be the only ship in, often things can change so it's not a definitive situation.

Hope it all works well for you.  Beautiful place.

Edited by kruzseeka

1 hour ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Port of Flam link here http://Aurlandhavn.no

Thanks - helpful.  I've just checked out our sailing in July and at the moment it looks as though we're the only ones in port.  We haven't any pressure re trips but it's nice to know we might be berthed - so much more convenient. 

Hi Wolf,

Yes you can buy them on the day but sometimes they are sold out.

You can also buy them on the http://Visitflam.com website, it also shows what availability there is at present. They might hold some back for day sale but not 100% confidant on that.

R

Hi Wolf,

Yes you can buy them on the day but sometimes they are sold out.

You can also buy them on the http://Visitflam.com website, it also shows what availability there is at present. They might hold some back for day sale but not 100% confidant on that.

Thanks

I look on line all times where sold out.

12 minutes ago, wolf7 said:

R

Thanks

I look on line all times where sold out.

We checked last year and all trains appeared to be sold out. I was advised to keep looking every few days, I did this and suddenly tickets were available so we were able  to book. However not much point in doing this journey if the weather isn't good so you may prefer to book on the day

Hi,

I think you can also buy them on the Norwegian railways site. 

http://nsb.no

But I have never done this.

Are you planning to get the train up and straight back down again ?

You may be able to get further info if you post it on the Northern Europe ports of call board I have always had very helpful info from local Norwegians and other experts when I have done so.

3 hours ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Hi,

I think you can also buy them on the Norwegian railways site. 

http://nsb.no

But I have never done this.

Are you planning to get the train up and straight back down again ?

You may be able to get further info if you post it on the Northern Europe ports of call board I have always had very helpful info from local Norwegians and other experts when I have done so.

Ive looked at that site have to look again in a months time when they release the tickets for June,we may just go one way and cycle back down.

Thanks

wolf

Lol I looked up the date I was going and saw they were available online ☺️

But they did have more choice of time than the Visit Flam Website.

I just did the up and back on the train but spoke to folks who biked back down and they said it was fabulous.

Jackie

We did the Flaam Railway last year when on Arcadia. We booked the P&O excursion but then kept an eye on the railways website in the hope that we could cancel and book direct if availability cropped up (it was sold out when I first looked). Apparently, some availabity can suddenly appear a matter of days before, but this wasn’t the case in our experience. As a point of interest, I went to the terminal not long after we berthed to see what the situation was and all services were sold out. The first one available returned after the ship had left! One thing that we hadn’t anticipated was that it was a warm day and the train was uncomfortably hot. Nice scenery in that you get views down the valley from a good height but I felt that it was a bit overrated. Some of the lines in the west highlands of Scotland are more impressive IMO.