Laundry room on Insignia, port or stbd?

rundent

Picking a cabin on Insignia on  deck 7 near the laundry room and would like to be on the other side of the ship to avoid possible noise but still be as close to the middle of the ship as my category cabin will permit. Now you know my criteria. Not sure she's the same as the other R ships.

Twice in Renaissance days we were opposite the laundry room and only heard noise when we opened our door one time to find a "cocktail party" of laundry-waiters in the hallway.  It's really not a problem.

37 minutes ago, rundent said:

To be clearer, I am referring to the passenger's self use laundry room.

Thanks guys. I thought that I'd remembered it on the stbd side on the other Rs, memory fails.

Just did some wash/dry on Sirena yesterday. The room stretches across the center between port and starboard on 7 forward. But, the door is definitely on the port.

BTW: Sirena uses a larger sized token than on the other R ships.

• Like 1

FWIW.....now we always get the same mid-deck cabin on 7 (Rclass ships) port side and have never had a problem with the laundry noise. 

Historically we had reserved a mid-deck cabin on 7starboard and got a lot of cigarette smoke wafting from the smoking section by the pool....only happens when the wind is just wrong but ruins the veranda sitting for us

Not trying to hijack this thread, but we are new to O and trying not to open too many new threads.

We will be on this ship in November and we're planning on doing laundry. What are the laundry room hours? And can you buy tokens there or do you go to the front desk?

Thanks, we now return you to the original topic :classic_smile:

You buy the tokens at reception.  I had thought that tokens left over from one cruise could be used on another ... not necessarily so!

The hours as I recall are pretty generous but I don't remember exactly.  Closing time might be 10pm?  Soap is provided by the machines, no charge for that.  They do not want you using your own detergent because ships use detergents specifically designed to help the environment.

We usually go in during cocktail hour and never have had a problem with operating yours.  But if you want to do your laundry early in the morning or late at night, yes, that might be a problem.

It's a good idea to make sure to come back when your load is just about done (assuming you don't just stay there for the duration) because on some rare cruises "dragon ladies" have been reported who made big fusses.  Personally, on many cruises where we did our own laundry we never encountered such!

Mura

Just now, NoWhiners said:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but we are new to O and trying not to open too many new threads.

We will be on this ship in November and we're planning on doing laundry. What are the laundry room hours? And can you buy tokens there or do you go to the front desk?

Thanks, we now return you to the original topic :classic_smile:

We buy the tokens at reception to use our OBC  I think some ships now have machines in the laundry room that dispense tokens for USD

It is $2 per machine

I think they open at 7:30 am until 10 pm   last load  by 9pm or they will be in the machine overnight

24 minutes ago, Mura said:

You buy the tokens at reception.  I had thought that tokens left over from one cruise could be used on another ... not necessarily so!

The hours as I recall are pretty generous but I don't remember exactly.  Closing time might be 10pm?  Soap is provided by the machines, no charge for that.  They do not want you using your own detergent because ships use detergents specifically designed to help the environment.

We usually go in during cocktail hour and never have had a problem with operating yours.  But if you want to do your laundry early in the morning or late at night, yes, that might be a problem.

It's a good idea to make sure to come back when your load is just about done (assuming you don't just stay there for the duration) because on some rare cruises "dragon ladies" have been reported who made big fusses.  Personally, on many cruises where we did our own laundry we never encountered such!

Mura

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We buy the tokens at reception to use our OBC  I think some ships now have machines in the laundry room that dispense tokens for USD

It is $2 per machine

I think they open at 7:30 am until 10 pm   last load  by 9pm or they will be in the machine overnight

Thanks to both of you for this info, very helpful. We usually do laundry during dinner. DH does it and doesn't mind.

You are 2 of the best resources on this thread--and you're both always nice!

Thank you so much.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
  • Thanks 1

How sweet of you, ML.  We both try! Have a wonderful cruise.  The laundry rooms do have sitting around space if you want to wait for the wash to finish, and also ironing boards and irons.  I prefer to dump in my wash/dry and come back to collect them.

Mura

10 minutes ago, Mura said:

How sweet of you, ML.  We both try! Have a wonderful cruise.  The laundry rooms do have sitting around space if you want to wait for the wash to finish, and also ironing boards and irons.  I prefer to dump in my wash/dry and come back to collect them.

Mura

You and LHT do a great job (unlike some others, who are not helpful but at least they're snarky :classic_biggrin:).  We usually do the same as you--wash, then dump stuff in the dryer and come back promptly to collect them. Good to know there is room to sit, often there isn't.

Really looking forward to Oceania Insignia and trying the specialty restaurants.

I won't guarantee that you will love your cruise just because we do.  It always bothers me when I see others who say something to that effect.  Just because we love O, and our cruises have suited us, doesn't mean everyone else will feel that way!  But given your attitude as shown here, I do think you will!  Have a great trip.

I won't say there is room for 20 people to sit (!) given the number of machines on the "R" ships, but it's enough for 3-4, I think.  There's a bit more room on the "O" ship laundry rooms, but then these ships are larger to begin with!

As to specialty restaurants, our preference was always Polo over Toscana.  We very much disliked the change over to Tuscan Steak on Sirena.  On the "O" ships our fave is Jacques.  We are NOT fans of Red Ginger although we go there occasionally.

But you can't judge cuisines by what we like ...

Mura

35 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

We usually do the same as you--wash, then dump stuff in the dryer and come back promptly to collect them. Good to know there is room to sit, often there isn't.

Really looking forward to Oceania Insignia and trying the specialty restaurants.

Mura & I are oldtimers here  LOL

I usually dump the stuff..  check my watch & off I go

there is  a TV/Sofa/chairs  incase  you do want to sit & wait 😉

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Mura & I are oldtimers here  LOL

I usually dump the stuff..  check my watch & off I go

there is  a TV/Sofa/chairs  incase  you do want to sit & wait 😉

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

That explains a lot, but you still both help people, which is most important. Thanks for the note about watching TV. That could be a good way to wait out the last few minutes of washing or drying. I usually just watch people fight out the machines :classic_dry:

18 hours ago, rundent said:

Picking a cabin on Insignia on  deck 7 near the laundry room and would like to be on the other side of the ship to avoid possible noise but still be as close to the middle of the ship as my category cabin will permit. Now you know my criteria. Not sure she's the same as the other R ships.

If you are in Concierge, you will get ( as one of the perks?) three free wash and folds.  Great when you are only a couple of days from disembarkation.........take them out of the laundry bag and place directly into your suitcase!

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I think 3 days before disembarkation is the cutoff time for sending the laundry in on the Concierge & up benefit. 

This is correct. We were just on Concierge level on Insignia and the “free” laundry takes 3 days to be returned whenever you send it out during your cruise. Hence the cutoff of 3 days before disembarkation for sending laundry. Also be aware that there are two different forms for laundry in the closet-one for regular laundry at the per-item price (returned in 24 hours) and one for the free laundry. Check before you send.

Hello, Mura, et al. Unless I am mistaken, the R ships have one laundry room. Once, when we were on Insignia, two women behaved so badly there, the captain removed them at the next port. The O ships have several laundries, and the only time I've found a crowd is prior to disembarkation. Even that may have changed with the free laundry perk. 

Mary            

1 hour ago, warburg said:

Once, when we were on Insignia, two women behaved so badly there, the captain removed them at the next port.

Yes, the laundry room has the potential to be a war zone :classic_biggrin:

We too have witnessed such an occurrence, albeit it was a man vs a woman and on a different line (a “luxury” line at that).

Let’s behave like the civilized people that we are (at least we should be 🙂)