Laundry room on Insignia, port or stbd?

rundent

we often live close to the laundry room on deck 7 of R ships and the only problem I've had is the decision by the laundry users to prop open the door. 

I'd shut it quietly, and they would reopen it.  I once pointed out the open door to a staff person walking by who muttered "that's not good" and shortly after there was a sign on the outside and inside of the door that said "door to remain closed at all times." 

I agree with Lyn and Paul -- I heard about such occasions, never experienced them myself, thank goodness.

I don't know about the psychology of people who decide they can govern who gets to use the equipment in the laundry room -- and when.  I've NEVER sat and waited for my wash or dry to be completed but I DO make sure to come back BEFORE they will be done.  The story as I recall it was that these "dragon ladies" decided to prevent removal of wet (or dry, I guess) clothing from the machines if people weren't there precisely at the moment.  I'm not sure they really helped anyone at all with that attitude!  It would just seem to insure further delay.

Most passengers are polite and amenable ... but not all are, obviously.

Mura

45 minutes ago, cbb said:

we often live close to the laundry room on deck 7 of R ships and the only problem I've had is the decision by the laundry users to prop open the door.

I noted the following paragraph that commented on the sign saying "leave the door open".  Not direct quotes, of course.

I'm wondering if people have propped open the door because they were waiting for laundry and the room got warm?  That might be more of a problem on the "R" ships because as I recall (incorrectly?) the door opens out to the hallway.  Whereas on the "O" ships it opens to a hallway leading to the main corridor.  So if that door were propped open, it wouldn't affect the sound levels outside.

Just a curiosity for me.  Not something I've ever done ... perhaps because I very rarely wait for my laundry to be done before collecting it!

Mura

3 hours ago, Mura said:

I noted the following paragraph that commented on the sign saying "leave the door open".  Not direct quotes, of course.

I'm wondering if people have propped open the door because they were waiting for laundry and the room got warm?  That might be more of a problem on the "R" ships because as I recall (incorrectly?) the door opens out to the hallway.  Whereas on the "O" ships it opens to a hallway leading to the main corridor.  So if that door were propped open, it wouldn't affect the sound levels outside.

Just a curiosity for me.  Not something I've ever done ... perhaps because I very rarely wait for my laundry to be done before collecting it!

Mura

Not all of the Laundry rooms on the O ships open into a hallway. I explored this myself and here are the findings, at least on the Riviera. 

Just a odd note on the laundry locations as we've discussed this before. I checked this out and decks 11 & 7 have entrances on the port side that open directly into the laundry room. Decks 10 & 8 have entrances from the port side that opens into a little hallway with crew area on one side and the entrance to the laundry on the other. It does not go to the starboard side. Deck 9 has a hallway that connects from the port to starboard side with the laundry through an entrance in the middle."

Interesting.  On the "O" ships I've only used the Deck 11 and Deck 10 laundry rooms.  And it has been a couple of years since I did so.

Always good to relearn what you used to know!

Mura

On 2/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, rundent said:

To be clearer, I am referring to the passenger's self use laundry room.

Thanks guys. I thought that I'd remembered it on the stbd side on the other Rs, memory fails.

BREAKING NEWS!

No charge for self-service laundry on Sirena.

(At least for now).

We're on Sirena right now. Previous segment- we needed tokens. This segment - free! Don't know why or if it's a new policy or if it relates to any or all of the rest of the fleet.

BTW, as with the other R ships, Sirena's laundry room stretches across the center between port and starboard on 7 forward. But, the door is definitely on the port.