RCI orders, yes, a 6th Oasis class ship!

JAMESCC

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

MB stated in a recent interview that she would be homeported in Barcelona and Florida.  Then again they also said that Anthem would be home ported in Southhampton amd Florida.

Well that changed because they sent Quantum to China. The plan was to split Anthem's time between Fort Lauderdale and Southampton. 

The Grand Cayman port schedules would seem to indicate Odyssey doing the 6/8 night rotation, but who knows at this point. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 4:12 PM, Pratique said:

Royal has a long history of building the largest ships, and multiples of each at that. Proof is in the pudding I suppose.

I hope you saw that I was mocking them, not agreeing with them.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, Biker19 said:

Unless that chart showing Icon at 232K GT is accurate.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

Very true on that. RCI has not really shared any details about Icon class. As they've done in the past, they may just surprise us all. 

According to Hotel Manager of Oasis, Icon will be 7,000 passengers.  Tonnage over 250. Just what I heard at lunch.

Sorry I missed the request for a funnel picture

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

According to Hotel Manager of Oasis, Icon will be 7,000 passengers.  Tonnage over 250. Just what I heard at lunch.

5650 double, 7000 max 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

27 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Tonnage over 250? Wow! That going to be something. I guess they are pushing to top Oasis class and anything else from other competitors. Since these are being built in Findland, I guess they can't make them too tall due to the bridge, just like Oasis and Allure had to go through. 

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Tonnage over 250? Wow! That going to be something. I guess they are pushing to top Oasis class and anything else from other competitors. Since these are being built in Findland, I guess they can't make them too tall due to the bridge, just like Oasis and Allure had to go through. 

Im not sure I would take anything said by a hotel director as gospel.  I would be more inclined to go with the number of 232,000 posted in a picture from the shipyard.

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

They like to be Top Dog. Except for a short period Royal has had largest Cruise Ship/Ships for over 30 years. Seem small now but Sovereign/Majesty were Worlds first Mega Ships

Edited by ONECRUISER

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Im not sure I would take anything said by a hotel director as gospel.  I would be more inclined to go with the number of 232,000 posted in a picture from the shipyard.

I tend to agree, though I wouldn't be surprised if the final number hasn't been arrived at yet.  I would imagine the design continues to evolve as features are added or removed up until substantial construction begins. 

With MSC entering the 200+ GT club, they are dramatically closing the gap between the Oasis class and the "next biggest" ship.  It doesn't surprise me that RCI wants to make sure their flagship class remains well beyond the competition in terms of size and amenities.  

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Seem small now but Sovereign/Majesty were Worlds first Mega Ships

First purpose built cruise ships to have that status, at least, and they seem to have marked the start of the big ship era.  The pace since Sovereign launched is crazy.  Carnival Destiny was actually the first cruise ship to supplant all the the Atlantic Liners and earn the title of the biggest passenger ship ever.

2 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

I tend to agree, though I wouldn't be surprised if the final number hasn't been arrived at yet.  I would imagine the design continues to evolve as features are added or removed up until substantial construction begins. 

With MSC entering the 200+ GT club, they are dramatically closing the gap between the Oasis class and the "next biggest" ship.  It doesn't surprise me that RCI wants to make sure their flagship class remains well beyond the competition in terms of size and amenities.  

First purpose built cruise ships to have that status, at least, and they seem to have marked the start of the big ship era.  The pace since Sovereign launched is crazy.  Carnival Destiny was actually the first cruise ship to supplant all the the Atlantic Liners and earn the title of the biggest passenger ship ever.

Yes always the discussion of an true Ocean Liner compared to a purpose built Cruise Ship. When I first boarded the Brand New Sovereign looking down on the tiny Love Boat size Princess, Carnival and NCL size ships was pretty awesome 

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 2/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, mafig said:

I remember reading the other boards saying how this will ruin cruising.  There was one poster (among many) who predicted Royal's upcoming bankruptcy. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:58 PM, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

This will be 14 years after the first of the class debuted- that is unheard of. Really proves the success of the design.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:57 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I said the same thing when Disney was planning a 3rd/4th ship.

The jokes on me as the prices more than doubled

I've seen comments in the Celebrity forum saying how Edge is the worst thing ever and will be Celebrity's downfall.  Can't help but chuckle when I remember all the comments about Oasis, and later Quantum, eliciting the same kind of talk.  Granted, the big gripe with Quantum was dynamic dining which Royal ultimately scrapped, but I guess some figure it was all or nothing.  Either way, clearly neither has been the downfall of Royal, and I suspect these won't either.   Of course, when we have the next recession and prices drop those comments will flare up again, but the cruise industry will likely weather future economic downturns the same way they have in the past...lower prices to increase demand until things turn around and you can raise prices again.

10 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Keep in mind, for her width, Oasis has a lot of wasted space in the CP and BW areas.  Enclose it, and the tonnage should skyrocket.

That's a lot of inside cabins, though.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was a Hotel Manager. HD was at another table. And yes, it's not gospel, just sharing.  Should I not be doing that. 🤔

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

It was a Hotel Manager. HD was at another table. And yes, it's not gospel, just sharing.  Should I not be doing that. 🤔

Absolutely share.  I just find it humorous all the misinformation that comes from the ships including senior officers.  

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

. And yes, it's not gospel, just sharing.  Should I not be doing that. 🤔

Sharing is good, but context is even better - the info passed out by staff on ships doesn't always pan out, which the casual CC reader may not know.

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Keep in mind, for her width, Oasis has a lot of wasted space in the CP and BW areas.  Enclose it, and the tonnage should skyrocket.

You could put a Solarium style roof over CP and still have balconies.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You could put a Solarium style roof over CP and still have balconies.

Tonnage just for the sake of tonnage may not be a great idea. Probably raise insurance rates or staffing requirements.  Just guessing, though.

The key to Icon will be to capitalize on the width of Oasis and add different neighborhoods.  Some creativity could give us a new Royal flagship.

Carnival Mardi Gras is going to be interesting 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Sharing is good, but context is even better - the info passed out by staff on ships doesn't always pan out, which the casual CC reader may not know.

It's not like I said it was my cabin steward. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Tonnage just for the sake of tonnage may not be a great idea. Probably raise insurance rates or staffing requirements.  Just guessing, though.

The key to Icon will be to capitalize on the width of Oasis and add different neighborhoods.  Some creativity could give us a new Royal flagship.

Carnival Mardi Gras is going to be interesting 

I'm really really looking forward to some information about Icon class. I don't care about itineraries, I just care about design, layout, and features. The suspense is killing me.. and I bet I have to wait at least another year to hear about any of those things. UGH

I too think that Carnival Mardi Gras will be interesting. 

On 2/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, bigeck said:

I'll give it a miss. Couldn't be bothered to pronounce it 

You must be either really old or really young:classic_biggrin:  Did you never watch Disney?  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't think it is wasted space. That space serves several purposes. One, it lowers the center of gravity of the ship, and two, it provides common areas for 6,000+ people. I seem to recall on one of the Impossible Engineering episodes about Oasis class, the engineers discussed the difficulty in pushing the tall superstructure out to the edge of the hull while preventing the ship from becoming too top heavy.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You mean in most cases don't you!  The only true scuttlebutt we've ever heard was from the Captain and it never panned out either.

Texas is supposed to get an Oasis class and we just assumed it would be the oldest vessel, but if Lady O goes to NJ then it has to be Allure.  That leaves Harmony and Symphony for Fl.  Then this new ship to the MED.  We're also supposed to get Adventure for 4/5day sailings

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I've seen comments in the Celebrity forum saying how Edge is the worst thing ever and will be Celebrity's downfall.  Can't help but chuckle when I remember all the comments about Oasis, and later Quantum, eliciting the same kind of talk.  Granted, the big gripe with Quantum was dynamic dining which Royal ultimately scrapped, but I guess some figure it was all or nothing.  Either way, clearly neither has been the downfall of Royal, and I suspect these won't either.   Of course, when we have the next recession and prices drop those comments will flare up again, but the cruise industry will likely weather future economic downturns the same way they have in the past...lower prices to increase demand until things turn around and you can raise prices again.

I'll let you know, we booked her! Not for the elevator thingy,  But we've still never done Quantum class dang it