Booking Insignia Specialty Restaurants

cruzemaven

It's also a question of your cabin category.  We have mostly been in suites for a long time (sometimes top suites, sometimes "only" a PH).  But given that advantage, we've never felt the need to log on at the precise time the reservations open.  We've always gotten the time we wanted (usually 7:30), whether we wanted to dine alone or with others.  When we share a table, sometimes it has been pre-arranged with others on our Roll Call but just as often it's been with total strangers.

Were we in a lower cabin, we probably would try to log on asap.  We were in a B1 a couple of years ago as the result of a downsell, but we'd already booked our reservations because our original cabin was a PH.  They let us keep them ...

It's quite clear that MANY passengers value specialty reservations more than we do ... we rarely use the number of reservations we are entitled to.  Perhaps if the specialty menus changed more often we would feel differently.  But we do love Jacques and whenever on an "O" ship we make sure to have at least one dinner there.

We DO like Terrace for the wide variety of choices (especially on the "O" ships) and the fact that many of the dishes offered in the GDR are up there as well.  And of course dinner is finished more quickly!  If we've had a long day, we go to Terrace.  If we haven't had a long day, we will go to the GDR (assuming no other reservations) UNLESS we aren't interested in the menu that day.

It's nice to have choices ... And of course in a butler-suite, you can just order from anywhere and have it served in your room.  This is an advantage not everyone appreciates, BUT WE DO.

Mura

5 minutes ago, Mura said:

Were we in a lower cabin, we probably would try to log on asap.

Agree.

Especially if one is very specific about their preferences - i.e. if one wants a table for 2 at 6 or 6:30 and has specific days in mind (with tours in mind, sea days, etc) then one must act ASAP. If one is more flexible - willing to share and dine late on any day, that is more readily available.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Agree.

Especially if one is very specific about their preferences - i.e. if one wants a table for 2 at 6 or 6:30 and has specific days in mind (with tours in mind, sea days, etc) then one must act ASAP. If one is more flexible - willing to share and dine late on any day, that is more readily available.

I was under the impression that dinner started at 6:30. Do some of the restaurants open earlier at 6??

Just wondering?

56 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I was under the impression that dinner started at 6:30. Do some of the restaurants open earlier at 6??

Just wondering?

I have see 6PM listed on some cruises  when choosing the Specialties  

I do not think it is on every cruise

I just did my res & no 6pm opening listed

Just now, Tillylovesseabourn said:

May I ask, could one theoretically dine in a speciality restaurant every night if in a minimum ph grade or is there a limit? Also can you make a weeks worth of reservations in advance online? Thanks 

Theoretically yes - practically very unlikely.

Everyone is guaranteed a certain number of reservations in specialties. The number depends on your category and the length of your cruise.

You can obtain additional reservations provided there is availability (not likely for every night).

That said, if you are in a PH or above, you can dine in your suite from the specialties as often as you please.

5 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

May I ask, could one theoretically dine in a speciality restaurant every night if in a minimum ph grade or is there a limit? Also can you make a weeks worth of reservations in advance online? Thanks 

You can only book 1 or 2  depending on your allotment ahead of time

Why would  you want to limit  eating in just the specialties ?

Oceania  is not like the mass market lines  in the GDR

6 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Thanks, how many initial bookings online are allowed on a seven day cruise for a ph for eg? 

you can check the FAQ

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant-

it also depends on the ship whether  an R ship or  an O class ship

but for a 7a day it would be 1 res in each  Specialty Restaurant

Lht, Thankyou for your reply, I am not used to the mass market lines and I have heard from many O passengers that in order to get a closer experience to that of Seabourn, silversea or regent the speciality restaurants are more akin to what we have been used to. Of course i will partake in the mdr, but am doing my research as to my options should i go the O route.

The GDR on O  has  the same quality food  as served in the Specialties

unlike on mass market lines where they people pay more  for quality dishes

You can even get lobster tails nightly (if you like ) in the buffet  ..not sure what mass market lines  do that

In addition to what Lyn and Paul have said, the specialty restaurants have set menus.  The GDR and Terrace do not.

While I could manage with several dinners in the specialties, I wouldn't want to be there every night.  MAYBE on a 7 day cruise ... but as they also said, it's not likely you'll be able to get a reservation each night ... especially not if lots of your fellow passengers have the same desire as you do.

Mura

Regarding opening time for the restaurants - on a recent 10 day Med cruise on Marina that was fully booked, all the specialty restaurants opened at 6 in order to get everyone in (remember the guarantees!)   I didn't realize it until after arriving for a 6:30 reservation, so many tables were seated and they already had food!

Edited by newbie60
wrong number of days quoted

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Having met you both I think you're about the same age, but she is probably faster. 

ORV - have we met? I would be very embarrassed if I hadn't remembered our meeting, especially as I enjoy your posts and thus should remember meeting you.

OTOH, I wouldn't be totally shocked as some days I am lucky if I remember my name and find my way home :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

ORV - have we met? I would be very embarrassed if I hadn't remembered our meeting, especially as I enjoy your posts and thus should remember meeting you.

OTOH, I wouldn't be totally shocked as some days I am lucky if I remember my name and find my way home :classic_biggrin:

We were both on a TA a few years ago. Riviera I think. We were at a meeting that Sedona Joel put on concerning credit card points etc. I don't think we introduced ourselves. 

30 minutes ago, ORV said:

We were both on a TA a few years ago. Riviera I think. We were at a meeting that Sedona Joel put on concerning credit card points etc. I don't think we introduced ourselves. 

I do remember that meeting but I regret that we did not actually meet - maybe next time. I also spoke a little at that meeting about my experiences with miles/points - perhaps that is why you remember me?

Edited by Paulchili