Puntarenas, Costa Rica with wheelchair

onelegcraig

We are starting to research ports for our February 2020 Panama Canal transit.  Any one have experience with Puntarenas Costa Rica.  I can use crutches for short distances and stairs, but being a one-leg amputee a manual wheelchair is used for distances.  (Other ports of concern are Corinto Nicaragua and Puerto Quetzel Guatemala.)  Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Oceania?   We have been to all 3 ports multiple times with DH on oxygen.  In Puntarenas, it is a long walk or roll down the pier. There is a tram supplied by the local Govt, and it may take a chair, but better ask.      The town is small, so unless you are taking a tour of the rainforest or other areas, there is not much to see, but there is a great small restaurant at the end of the pier.   In Corinto, long way out the dock area, and town not much to see,  again unless you are taking a tour, which should be able to take a manual chair on Van.   We used Julio Tours (highly rated on Trip Advisor), and if you email him, he may have room.   In Puerto Quezal, you can roll right off the ship to  a small tourist area, complete with coconut drinks and food.   However, a lot of folks went to Antiqua by bus, but it is a long dusty ride (and I don’t know how wheelchair friendly it is).   What type of info are you looking for?  Wheel friendly tours?    

Long ride to shore in Puntarenas.  When you get there, straw market to the left.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Shuttle tram

enhance

enhance

enhance

Puerto Quetzal...the 1.5 hr bus ride to Antigua would be the easy part.  The streets in Antigua are cobblestone, uneven, etc.

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures (they really are worth a thousand words).  The streets remind me of Havana and Puerto Rico, not too wheelchair friendly.  Wife really wants to see Monkeys and Sloths on this trip.

• 6 months later...

Are these pictures of Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera as from what I can tell ships dock at both locations? I'm in a power wheelchair and I can't seem to find w/c transportation so I'm exploring the port areas. Puerto Quetzal is also on my list. 

On 2/18/2019 at 11:14 AM, Cruseforme said:

In Puerto Quezal, you can roll right off the ship to  a small tourist area, complete with coconut drinks and food.   

That is IF there is not another ship using the dock space.  The last time we were able to do that, but the time before we had to dock a distance away and take an old school bus to that tourist area and back to the ship.  Do check to see if any other ships will be in Puerto Quetzal when you are there.

19 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

As labeled above the pictures, they are of Puntarenas.  EM

We want to note that the two times we have docked at Puntarenas (last summer and this past March), there was no tram.  We were on the Regent Navigator the first time (540 passengers) and the Regent Explorer the second time (750 passengers), and we were the only ship there each time, so perhaps the tram is only used when the ships are larger and/or the port is busy.