Leaving cruise early in Europe

Tracyjj0

We’re going on N905 Portugal, Spain & Gibraltar. Our son is coming on the Cruise with us, but will have to fly home from the last port (La Coruna), due to having to get back to Uni for an exam (which annoyingly is on the day we get back to Southampton, but his Uni is too far away for him to get back in time :classic_sad:). Anyone know of any reason why he wouldn’t be allowed  to disembark from there? I know in America it can be a problem for US citizens to cut a cruise short due to immigration issues, but as we’re EU citizens I’m assuming it will be ok? Anyone had any experience of this? Thanks in advance :classic_biggrin:

As long as you explain that he needs to leave at your last port there will be no issue. People have to fly home early for various reasons (family emergency etc). 

Where is he at Uni? If he self disembarked, he could be off the ship in Southampton at 0730 and it’s only 15 mins to the station or motorway. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As long as you explain that he needs to leave at your last port there will be no issue. People have to fly home early for various reasons (family emergency etc). 

Where is he at Uni? If he self disembarked, he could be off the ship in Southampton at 0730 and it’s only 15 mins to the station or motorway. 

Unfortunately his exam is at 10am, he goes to University of Kent in Canterbury and he’d have to get there by public transport! 

1 hour ago, kerryincork said:

There are many cruise lines who board and disembark passengers at every port, so there doesn't seem to be the same rules they have in the US.

Best thing to do is call and ask.

I will be letting them know once we’re on the ship, but just wanted to be aware of anyone’s experience, just in case I needed fore-warning of any legislation. Thanks for your reply:classic_biggrin:

From my recent conversation with Celebrity, they will charge you for any nights you do not "fulfil" on any itinerary. It's common practice in the U.S. and it's called 'down-lining' (IIRC). I was dumb-founded but they were insistent. Thankfully, this shouldn't affect you as you're on P&O - they never charge my in-laws such fees, and they embark late and/or debark early at least once a year.   

We have had this situation several times ( at both ends of a cruise). Inform the company as soon aaa possible and remind the on board team soon after you board. You will not get any reduction for unused nights but (if appropriate) gratuities are charged at the going rate but only for nights on board, so there would be a reduction here. 

Our daughter had to hand her passport in to the bureau as we left her penultimate port. It was returned to her after we had docked in Gibraltar ( presumably so local passport control could be carried out. 

It works fine. 

I don't want to bring Brexit in to this but mid way through your cruise the UK may no longer be part of the E.U. so I suppose we won't technically be E.U. citizens. If I were you I would phone P&O re this one or e-mail and keep a copy of their answer to cover yourselves.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:43 PM, Tracyjj0 said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, some great advice given. I did read recently that our EU passports won’t suddenly become obsolete- gosh can you imagine! I’ll phone P&O and let them know our plans

True but there is a very small chance that anyone with a UK passport will require 6  months to be left on their passport to enter any EU country.   Its very unlikely but is being talked about.  All up in the air at the moment.

12 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

True but there is a very small chance that anyone with a UK passport will require 6  months to be left on their passport to enter any EU country.   Its very unlikely but is being talked about.  All up in the air at the moment.

9 hours ago, BrianI said:

It is already a requirement to have six months validity after your date of return

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/passport_validity

Brian

Fortunately he has 3 years left on his passport:classic_biggrin: