Identification Question using b/c and d/l

I have a friend who booked and she just realized she may not have the proper documentation.  The cruise leaves Friday.

Anyone have experience with the following scenario?

She has a drivers license in her married name with Jane Doe Smith.

Her birth certificate says Jane Doe.

Does she still need her marriage certificate since her middle name is her married name?  Both she and I have called Royal and gotten 2 different answers.

8 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

I have a friend who booked and she just realized she may not have the proper documentation.  The cruise leaves Friday.

Anyone have experience with the following scenario?

She has a drivers license in her married name with Jane Doe Smith.

Her birth certificate says Jane Doe.

Does she still need her marriage certificate since her middle name is her married name?  Both she and I have called Royal and gotten 2 different answers.

She will need her marriage certificate.  They asked for my wife's after we got married, before we updated her passport.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

You never know what situation you could run into dealing with boarding or Customs.

Better be safe than sorry and take birth certificate and marriage license to support the driver's license.  I wouldn't risk a delay in line and higher stress levels.

1 hour ago, sixesandeights said:

She will need her marriage certificate.  They asked for my wife's after we got married, before we updated her passport.

6&8

Was it because your wife's name on license and name on reservation were not the same? Otherwise she would have made it on fine without marriage license

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Was it because your wife's name on license and name on reservation were not the same? Otherwise she would have made it on fine without marriage license

We made the reservation under her married name.  Her passport had her maiden name.  Her DL was her married name, but her birth certificate was obviously her maiden name.  Basically nothing matched so they asked for our marriage certificate.  We planned on this and had it with us, so it was not a big deal.

6&8

If she is cruising with her husband..likely won't be asked for Marriage certificate. I assume she made reservation under married name. Have taken over 20 caribbean cruises with my wife... Always used DL and BC....Never have been asked to show Marriage Certificate for my wife.  However....I have always taken it (just in case)

On 2/18/2019 at 5:39 PM, sixesandeights said:

We made the reservation under her married name.  Her passport had her maiden name.  Her DL was her married name, but her birth certificate was obviously her maiden name.  Basically nothing matched so they asked for our marriage certificate.  We planned on this and had it with us, so it was not a big deal.

6&8

Sometimes it's asked for, but as long as license and cruise docs have same name with BC in maiden name, not a problem. That's why the marriage license is not always asked for.

The real reason a women would need the marriage license is if she booked the cruise in newly married name and had no picture ID in that name.

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Sometimes it's asked for, but as long as license and cruise docs have same name with BC in maiden name, not a problem. That's why the marriage license is not always asked for.

The real reason a women would need the marriage license is if she booked the cruise in newly married name and had no picture ID in that name.

Again, ours WAS asked for and her DL had her married name.  It did not match her BC nor did it match her Passport so they required the marriage certificate.  If you are traveling with mismatched documentation it is 100% recommended to bring the marriage certificate.  There is absolutely zero downside for having an additional document that you are not asked for.  If you find yourself in this situation you absolutely should bring the marriage certificate to prevent any possible issues.

6&8

21 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

Again, ours WAS asked for and her DL had her married name.  It did not match her BC nor did it match her Passport so they required the marriage certificate.  If you are traveling with mismatched documentation it is 100% recommended to bring the marriage certificate.  There is absolutely zero downside for having an additional document that you are not asked for.  If you find yourself in this situation you absolutely should bring the marriage certificate to prevent any possible issues.

6&8

But if you didn't have it, it still would have been no problem. Never heard of anyone ever being denied boarding because of no marriage license as long as they had picture ID that matched name on cruise documents and correct BC even though name is in maiden name.

You could have booked the cruise in the name on the passport too

Edited by cruisinfanatic

5 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

But if you didn't have it, it still would have been no problem. Never heard of anyone ever being denied boarding because of no marriage license as long as they had picture ID that matched name on cruise documents and correct BC even though name is in maiden name.

You could have booked the cruise in the name on the passport too

So you are recommending that people NOT bring it?  As you never heard of a problem?

REALLY?

I agree with the other posters, best to carry it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SRF said:

So you are recommending that people NOT bring it?  As you never heard of a problem?

REALLY?

I agree with the other posters, best to carry it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I didn't recommend anything!!!!

If it was needed, it would be always asked for.

Like I said. No one that I have ever heard has been turned away for not having their marriage license as long as their photo ID matches their cruise docs even though BC has maiden name

While you may not be denied boarding for lack of a marriage license (as this is a cruise line decision), CBP "recommends" that if the passenger documentation does not all match, then the agent may request "bridging documentation", and if this is not available, then there could be delays in processing you through customs and immigration upon return to the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take the Marriage Certificate.   Don't chance it.  I was a pilot for a major airlines.  In 1989 we laid over in Calgary, Alberta.  In those days you didn't need a passport to go to Canada.  I was working the outbound flight as a cockpit crew member.  The U.S. Customs officer in Calgary  asked me for my Passport.  I replied I didn't have one.  I showed him my Airline ID, I was in uniform, I was listed on the manifest as the Flight Engineer, I had a California Drivers License with California address, a US Military Reserve Officer's ID card, an FAA Issued Flight Engineer and an FAA Issued Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, BOTH showing "U.S." as country of Citizenship.  Then he asked me the fatal question "Where were you born."  I told him "Victoria, British Columbia, Canada" but that I had Naturalized in 1970.  He said "I bet the FAA didn't ask for your Naturalization Certificate, did they? And they let Citizens of the  Philippines in the Military."   About this time, the Captain of my flight said "No problem sir, we'll just go back to the hotel until we can get satisfactory ID for the Engineer.  Oh yeah, could you please announce that YOU'RE cancelling the flight to these 175 passengers?  Thank you."  The Customs Officer had a "breakthrough" and let me pass.  😂

Bottom line....TAKE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. You never know where that Customs Officer is working now.  😜

Take the marriage certificate.  We were taking our first foreign vacation and were flying in to Jamaica before 9/11.  I had my birth certificate and DL to go through Customs  in Jamaica.  I had been married for 30 some years and he wanted my marriage certificate to bridge the name difference.  I did not have them as after all those years never even thought of taking it.  It took a little while longer to get through and that was the last time we traveled without a passport.

The marriage certificate.  How much space and weight can piece of paper take?

Our honeymoon was a cruise right after our wedding.  Wife had a passport (interesting story about that part) and DL but both were still in her maiden name since the cruise was the day after our wedding.  I made sure I had the marriage certificate with me.  I can't remember if we were asked for it, but knowing me I probably just placed on the counter along with our other forms of ID.

Edited by gatour

8 minutes ago, gatour said:

Our honeymoon was a cruise right after our wedding.  Wife had a passport (interesting story about that part) and DL but both were still in her maiden name since the cruise was the day after our wedding.  I made sure I had the marriage certificate with me.  I can't remember if we were asked for it, but knowing me I probably just placed on the counter along with our other forms of ID.

If space is that much of an issue just snap a picture of it.😉

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Take the Marriage Certificate.   Don't chance it.  I was a pilot for a major airlines.  In 1989 we laid over in Calgary, Alberta.  In those days you didn't need a passport to go to Canada.  I was working the outbound flight as a cockpit crew member.  The U.S. Customs officer in Calgary  asked me for my Passport.  I replied I didn't have one.  I showed him my Airline ID, I was in uniform, I was listed on the manifest as the Flight Engineer, I had a California Drivers License with California address, a US Military Reserve Officer's ID card, an FAA Issued Flight Engineer and an FAA Issued Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, BOTH showing "U.S." as country of Citizenship.  Then he asked me the fatal question "Where were you born."  I told him "Victoria, British Columbia, Canada" but that I had Naturalized in 1970.  He said "I bet the FAA didn't ask for your Naturalization Certificate, did they? And they let Citizens of the  Philippines in the Military."   About this time, the Captain of my flight said "No problem sir, we'll just go back to the hotel until we can get satisfactory ID for the Engineer.  Oh yeah, could you please announce that YOU'RE cancelling the flight to these 175 passengers?  Thank you."  The Customs Officer had a "breakthrough" and let me pass.  😂

Bottom line....TAKE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. You never know where that Customs Officer is working now.  😜

FYI, in 1989 it was an IMMIGRATION office.

That part of INS became part of Customs and Border Protection in 2002 when DHS was formed.  But the checking of passports is an IMMIGRATION function.  Checking of your bags for contraband is a CUSTOMS function.

And I am pretty sure you knew this. 😄

On 2/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, lcpagejr said:

If she is cruising with her husband..likely won't be asked for Marriage certificate. I assume she made reservation under married name. Have taken over 20 caribbean cruises with my wife... Always used DL and BC....Never have been asked to show Marriage Certificate for my wife.  However....I have always taken it (just in case)

I changed my name when I got married, have never cruised without my spouse, and I was asked for my bridging document (marriage license) for the first three cruises, until we got passports.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

image.thumb.png.a641cf573b7eec6cd881979b23027e45.png

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Just the passport would have been fine if she booked in the name on passport. If not, that's the sure reason that you would need the marriage license

1 hour ago, SRF said:

FYI, in 1989 it was an IMMIGRATION office.

That part of INS became part of Customs and Border Protection in 2002 when DHS was formed.  But the checking of passports is an IMMIGRATION function.  Checking of your bags for contraband is a CUSTOMS function.

And I am pretty sure you knew this. 😄

CBP was always tasked with a double duty at ports of entry. They checked for contraband and collected duty and they also checked passports. If they had any questions then they would call an on duty Immigration Inspector who would do further checks before the traveler was cleared. 

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

CBP was always tasked with a double duty at ports of entry. They checked for contraband and collected duty and they also checked passports. If they had any questions then they would call an on duty Immigration Inspector who would do further checks before the traveler was cleared. 

CBP did not exist before 2002, so they could not be tasked with anything.

Immigration checks were handled by agents of INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service).

Material checks were handled by US Customs officers.  The dogs looking for contraband food were US Department of Agriculture.  And the drug dogs were DEA, and they still are.

Each group wore different uniforms, with different uniform ID.

When DHS was formed, in putting it together, parts of INS, all of customs, part of Ag, and the Border Patrol were merged into Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Now, when you arrive at an international airport, everyone you deal with is CBP and wears the blue CBP uniform and patches.  Border Patrol handles the land based entries.  And maintain a separate (green) uniform.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Just the passport would have been fine if she booked in the name on passport. If not, that's the sure reason that you would need the marriage license

I booked the cruise using her married name that she would have post marriage.  This was the custom at the time (20 years ago).  People get married.  Wife assumes husband's last name.  My wife planned the wedding nupitials with some input from me. I planned the honeymoon while knowing her likes and dislikes.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

CBP did not exist before 2002, so they could not be tasked with anything.

Immigration checks were handled by agents of INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service).

Material checks were handled by US Customs officers.  The dogs looking for contraband food were US Department of Agriculture.  And the drug dogs were DEA, and they still are.

Each group wore different uniforms, with different uniform ID.

When DHS was formed, in putting it together, parts of INS, all of customs, part of Ag, and the Border Patrol were merged into Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Now, when you arrive at an international airport, everyone you deal with is CBP and wears the blue CBP uniform and patches.  Border Patrol handles the land based entries.  And maintain a separate (green) uniform.

That is correct, I meant to say "Customs Officer". My bad.