Southampton transfers.

punkybett

Alas - it is somewhat easier to find a needle in a haystack than find much information of use on the "new and improved" Cunard website.... a call to your travel agent or to Cunard might be your best bet. Otherwise, try one of the many car recommendations so often given by other forum members...

A lot of cruise lines arriving at Southampton do Airport Transfer Coaches to London Airports often bookable on board.  In the disembarkation schedule they usually have Heathrow and Gatwick coaches and early and late flight times for different coaches with evening flight times transfer coaches doing a Windsor or Stonehenge tour to fill in the time. Early flights people are top priority first disembarkation colour group.  Gatwick has just two terminals North and South which works more in your favour than Heathrow's five numbered terminals.  Gatwick is a lot nearer to Southampton than Heathrow is based on travel time. A pre-arranged car will be about £150 - £200 per car and take an hour and a half to get from Southampton to Gatwick.  Trains are around £30 - £70 per person and take two and a half hours.  A pre-arranged car or transfer bus will need to leave the quayside by 9.00 to get to Gatwick by 10.30 (three hours ahead of flight time).  I think they would be getting coaches away from Southampton quayside well before 9.00.  To me the timing is good enough, normally cruise lines have a noon flight deadline.  If coaches are available or you pre-book a car you will be fine in my opinion. The internet on board is your fall back option for late booking with people like Westquay cars etc.

Sometimes these transfer coaches are listed as "excursions" for the port of Southampton in your cruise personaliser facility which is only available to view 90 days ahead of sailing with some cruise lines. Have you looked there?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On 2/18/2019 at 2:35 PM, zider said:
  • 13.30 is to early for a International Flight you have to be at the Airport 3 hours before flight other flights 2 hours before flights 

I agree. 1:30 P.M. is way to early. Travel time by bus directly is nearly 3 hours. There is a direct bus that leaves the Southampton Bus terminal Harbor Parade, near the terminals at 9:10 am and arrives at Gatwick at 12 Noon. You would need the best luck in the world to make a 1:30 flight even if the airline accepted you with in a hour or so before flight.

This is a National Bus service. If you use a Cunard provided service the travel time might be slightly shorter, but I think you need to look at a 3:00 pm (15:00) or later flight. You would also have to self disembark with your bags, go to the bus station by taxi, it is not walking distance from the Ocean Terminal, The QE terminal or the Mayflower terminal.

Best bet flight after three, non stop Cunard bus from the ship to Gatwick. 

37 minutes ago, punkybett said:

Thank you. I will prebook a private car, as early as possible and do the self disembark option. My only other flight option was 10:30 AM. It is a Sunday morning so I'm hoping the traffic will be lighter.

Sunday will be a lot less busy on the M25.  This is a big help.

Regards John

9 hours ago, punkybett said:

Thank you. I will prebook a private car, as early as possible and do the self disembark option. My only other flight option was 10:30 AM. It is a Sunday morning so I'm hoping the traffic will be lighter.

Yes you will be fine
A pre-booked car from the ship to LGW is probably best for a 13.30 flight - Sunday morning traffic should be fine but if the M25 is dodgy your driver will check his sat-nav traffic app and re-route as there are a few options to go off the freeway

dont' worry you can still be at the check-in at -90 mins before departure (in fact -60 mins is close-out)

If you self disembark you can be off the ship by around 8am give or take 
If you book a car to pick you up between 08.00 and 08.30 you will be fine

If it helps, I was off the QE on walk off service before 8 a.m. after a 6:30 (ish) docking.  Sounds like it is feasible enough with a private car.

Does your schedule allow you to do your 24 hour prior online check in?  That may help speed things up a bit for the airport. 

Book a private car with Smiths For Airports.  I've used them and they are very reliable and dependable.  This way you won't waste your time with transfers and baggage.  They will pick you up out front as you exit the Terminal.   Their cars have wifi hotspots, too.  You can set it up using email. 

A hire car is always a possibility. Hertz and Europcar are both on the Westquay Industrial Estate which is very close to the port and have branches at Gatwick Airport.

I noticed that the other day that Hertz will let you hire a car one-way on certain routes (mostly airports) for only £1. There seems to be availability at Southampton Westquay to Gatwick or Heathrow, however it seems you have to book at short notice. Just search for 'Hertz One'. Presumably you would have to pay petrol as well.