Mariner - Bangkok to Hong Kong, 2/19 -3/19/19

forgap

Our bags are packed and we're in the last minute frenzy of trying to remember details that we most likely will forget and wake up with a start in the middle of the night!  This will be our first time on Mariner and our 8th Regent cruise.  Our itinerary takes us from Bangkok to Ko Samui, Sihanoukville, Maura, Kota Kinablu, HoChi Minh City, Hue (Da Nang), and Hanoi with debarkation in Hong Kong.  We will also do a pre-cruise in Bangkok and a post-cruise to Xi'an in China.  

We cashed in Frequent Flyer miles and we are routed on Delta from Atlanta to Detroit to Beijing to Bangkok.  I obsessed over the 1.25 hour layover in Detroit, but Delta assured me that this was an adequate amount of time and, if I was really anxious, I could fork over another $300 to change the flight to Detroit.   Actually, the agent I spoke with was charming and she assured me that they had plenty of flights to Asia and Delta would take good care of us.  (Famous last words....)  The weather gods are smiling and the torrential rain expected in Atlanta will hold off until the afternoon and Detroit is cold but clear - no ice or snow is expected until Wednesday.  

I hope to keep a running blog of the trip.  I always appreciate these efforts from fellow cruisers.   I like to write as it helps me remember the trip details.  My intentions are always to put it in an internet blog with photos, maps, etc..  But, we are a year past the last cruise (Singapore to Sydney) and I am only 3/4's of the way done!  I invite any lurking passengers to sign on and give their impressions of the trip.  Last year, Mr. Rumor and I, had a grand time with our blog!   

Wish us a bon voyage!

Jennifer

• Like 2

Wishing you safe traveling and a wonderful cruise! Of the Regent ships we have spent the most time on Mariner, most recently 36 days around Australia. We like the size of the public spaces, never feels crowded. Hope you enjoy Mariner as much as we do. Looking forward to your reports!

• Like 1

Bon Voyage & Fair Winds and Following seas Jennifer and Georges.  Ida and I sincerely wish you a fabulous Asia voyage that will leave your both with with wonderful life time memories.

Look forward to vicariously following along and visiting our fav Asia spots again through your eyes.

• Like 1

Wishing you good travels, and may the airline gods smile on you!  I must say on our recent trips all flights were perfectly on time.  Hope you are so lucky.

we have been to some of the ports, but not all.  I am anxious to hear your impressions.

Jennifer, thanks for taking us along to one of my favourite parts of the world!  On this dreary February morning, I'm very happy to have a lovely cruise to follow.  Travel safely and know that we're all willing those flights to be in the right place at the right time!

• Like 2

Looking forward to reading whatever you're willing and able to post!  I, too, love tagging along on other people's cruises.  Not quite the same as being on board but a heckuva lot cheaper.    :classic_tongue:

Here's hoping the stars all align for your flights - looks like a lot of air time (of course it is).  Enjoy!!!

RUNNING THE GAUNTLET - PHASE ONE

Our flight from Atlanta was a bit late taking off but on time landing in Detroit.   We had 1 hour and 15 minutes in theory for the transition but the flight to Beijing was 5 minutes from boarding as we approached the gate.   We were on board and ensconced in our “suites” before we could catch our collective breath.  

The suites are a bit square...a bit industrial, but good enough for a long flight.  I have definitely seen worse (I’m talking to you British Airways, and you, United let’s fly backwards, and you Delta old claustrophobic diagonal seating).    However, we are drinking champagne already.  I’ve been up since 2am so I anticipate a nice sleep.  I think my body knows it has to contend with jet lag!   

Pictures of the Delta suite and frozen Lake Erie which I think is exceptionally beautiful!   and 

F0664911-62B6-474A-92DB-7E1BD2B0E3E5.jpeg

449C1F83-1AEA-4E67-8F7E-CAF14B7D44D8.jpeg

Looking forward to your cruise blog, @forgap.

We are on Navigator in March visiting many of the same ports, but in reverse order.

Plenty of excellent food to be had in Bangkok but if you want a traditional Thai restaurant then try Harmonique. Delicious Thai dishes at very reasonable prices, albeit the restaurant and the staff are somewhat quirky.

Is that Business class?  Hopefully not First with such small space!  Totally agree about BA.   But that said their 1st class is OK.  You do not fly backwards.  That is reserved for Business!,  Whatever I hope your flight is smooth, on time and comfortable!  AND am looking forward to hearing lots more from you.  have fun!

10 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

...You do not fly backwards...

I know - I HATE it when my head arrives before my feet.    :classic_biggrin:

Just kidding - I'm not a fan of flying backwards, either.  The flight itself isn't so bad, it's the odd feeling while taking off and landing...

RUNNING THE GAUNTLET - PHASE TWO

We arrived in Beijing without a hitch.  It was a very smooth flight and the “suites” (which were more like cocoons) were very comfortable.   As we exited the plane, a young man was waiting for us with a sign with our names on it.   His job was to help us transfer to the flight to Bangkok and get our boarding passes.  His English was very murky so we were not very clear on the procedure.  He told us to sit and wait for a half hour and he would be back.  An hour later, i found someone at the transfer desk who told me to be patient that it was always like this for the Delta flights.  So, an hour and 20 minutes into it, a woman arrived with our boarding passes and directed us to a security checkpoint.   Security required us to practically empty our carryon bags ( iPad separate, camera separate, no batteries, umbrellas unearthed and separated, no cough medicine, etc., etc.).  We finally got through that and I kept tripping the metal detector so a got a pat down that was more thorough than my yearly skin check by my dermatologist.  We then sprinted to the gate to board a rather ratty VIP bus for business class passengers to go to the China Eastern plane.  Once at the plane it was a free for all climbing the stairs to board the aircraft.  I had lived  in Japan as a teenager so crowding, pushing, and shoving is something I’ve been exposed to on the trains.  The Chinese, though, take it to a new level!   

We flew four hours to Bangkok, and business class was almost empty.  Our bags arrived and our car service was waiting.  All is good! 

• Like 4

Well done Jennifer and Georges you intrepid air travelers you; hope your embarkation on Saturday goes well.  Look forward to more and hearing your impressions of the Mariner.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, forgap said:

The Chinese, though, take it to a new level!

I recall a guide in Taiwan telling us that Chinese people are taught to "swim" through crowds and sure enough, at the National Museum in Taipei, that was exactly what was happening. 

So glad you've landed safely and are "there".  I too will be glad to hear how Mariner is - take good care of her for us please!

• Like 2

Jennifer, it's hard to believe that it was a year ago today that our Singapore-Sydney cruise aboard the Voyager came to an end!   Hope you and Georges have the time of your lives on this one.  I'll be relishing your words and pics while daydreaming of another Jennifer, Georges, Ginny, Rumor cruise some day.

Rich

• Like 1

Thank you all for your well wishes!   It is only 11am Bangkok time and we have hit the wall!  We finally went to bed at 2 am but slept very fitfully until 6:30.  We are at the Royal Orchid Sheraton which is the Regent pre cruise hotel.  We booked another two nights (thank you , Wes, i used points from my credit card stash!) so we could explore on our own and try to get over jet lag.  

After unpacking, we noticed some items missing from one suitcase....all of our vitamins and melatonin as well as a small backpack.   The suitcase was locked and there was no notice in it that it had been searched. There was better stuff in the suitcase too (portable speakers, an Apple keyboard) but that was all intact.   We suspect Beijing, but who knows.   Anyway, we stopped at a pharmacy this morning and we are now re-supplied.  

The hotel is beautifully situated on the river, very close to Chinatown.   There is an interesting antique mall next door and lovely little restaurants on the riverfront.  We opted out of the hotel breakfast and went to a little place called The Coffee Club which was right next door.   I tried the stir fried veggies with quinoa, a creamy sauce, and two poached eggs which was really delicious!   Georges had poached eggs and smoked salmon plus a lemon tart and ice cream.  All this plus hazelnut milk cold brew coffee and water for about $30.   Not bad at all!    This is our view:

image.jpg

• Like 3