Influenza A

We disembarked from the Majestic Princess on the 6th Oct. My mum has has been in hospital for 4 days. Yesterday she tested positive for Influenza A. I contacted NSW Health but they don’t act on it unless the patient is in a nursing home. 

I am sorry to hear that your Mum has been so ill. There is a lot of flu around at the moment, not only on cruise ships. Unfortunately, it is easy to catch all sorts of viruses on a ship because people are close together all day every day. My brother is recovering from a bout. He didn't catch it on a cruise. He was away from home only one day in the preceding week and that included a visit to his GP. Maybe he got it in the waiting room, or somewhere else that day.

Best solution is to get vaccinated for it. It does work and offers some protection. With the amount of anti vaccination nutters out there infesting the world with their dumbness people tend to get more sick with viruses and diseases spreading on the rise again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Best solution is to get vaccinated for it. It does work and offers some protection. With the amount of anti vaccination nutters out there infesting the world with their dumbness people tend to get more sick with viruses and diseases spreading on the rise again.

She was vaccinated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I think you mean Sometimes works. It doesn't always work as seen with this case and many other cases of influenza.

• Like 1

I go a bit crazy with the hand sanitizer when going into new hotel room or cabin.

I think  we need more public announcements on tv in general not just on cruise ships about preventing illness.

The amount of people who don't cover their nose or mouth when coughing or sneezing is shocking. I dont think its an age specific or upbringing thing. My 5 year old niece told off my 66 year old mum as she didn't wash her hands. I think people need reminders and also a what can happen to you or others if you don't. Common sense isn't so common anymore 

Edited by Nelie

5 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

A lot of people weren’t using the sanitiser at the dining room and many weren’t using the the wash stations at the buffet.

Nearly washed the skin off my hands the last 2 weeks on Sea Princess,,,I did see people go from being seated in Lido go in and get desserts without re sanitising but it would have been hard to get in to the first section without washing.

I wonder how often the salt and pepper pots get sanitised or the under part of the chairs where your hands reach to pull in your chair.?

we used wipes again once we had all that done.

Cheers Carole

Just some notes on flu vaccinations (which I get every year).

They provide good, but not perfect protection. It can provide lower symptoms even if not preventing getting the flu.

Each year, the health department recommends a mix of the , usually 4, most common strains of flu. There are many variations but they cover the most likely.

The flu virus mutates, so even if included it may change.

The vaccination “wears off”. One of the pieces of advice given in recent years is people get it too early and the effectiveness declines as the peak flu season hits and continues.

Older folk have a lower body take up of the vaccination, so not as well protected. Over the last couple of years a new form of vaccination has been developed with more stuff in it. Most states make it available free to those 65+. Make sure you ask for super, not unleaded.

Real flu can occur at any time of the year, and outside times of full vaccination efficacy. 

• Like 1

Re flu that is why I included the word "some" with protection.

It will not protect you from the common cold and other random viruses.

The idea is if more people get vaccinated then there could be less people carrying the virus and less chance of it spreading.

• Like 1