Huge price difference on cabins

Werangels

Hi

I think we have decided on the intensive Croatia itinerary for this September.  It will be our first cruise and cruising is not something we ever imagined doing as we both couldn’t imagine being on one of the huge ships and have always found something else we wanted to do more.  Health more than anything else has made us re-look at holidays and here we are!   Anyway, the price difference on this cruise between a balcony cabin and inside cabin is massive, £3429 versus £1668 and we are thinking of booking the inside as a result.  Our thinking being that if we don’t get on with cruising, having spent less is a less bitter pill!  We really want to like and enjoy it.  So, just looking for thoughts and advice on this and also whether it is likely the price differential will change when this latest offer finishes ie, should we wait to book to see what is offered next?  We would really like a balcony but......

Thanks for your help.

I would go for an outside.  The price difference between an outside and an inside is much smaller and in my experience of port intensive cruises you spend little time in the room and may not get the full benefit from a balcony on such a cruise. However I do like waking up to see daylight.

When we started cruising we did Insides and had a great time.  The Azamara ships have lots of public spaces for lounging, and it will help you meet other passengers and learn about small-ship cruising and why they love it.  OTOH, if an ocean view cabin doesn't cost much more there's no problem with that – but I would advise against the 06 and 04 categories as they are located at the front of the ship and you will feel more movement there.  08s are midship but with partially blocked views [still a lot more view than an Inside!].  05s are midship and low for a very smooth ride.

We prefer an oceanview stateroom. I like to see daylight in the morning.

We have had a balcony on a few cruises, but rarely used it.

There is plenty of outside public space on decks 5, 9, 10 & 11, as well as indoor space with views to the outside world.

If you are really set on a balcony, it may (and I stress may or may not) be worth waiting for a double upgrade promotion instead of a 50% off the second person promotion. Base prices do not remain the same.

Insurance all sorted, thank you.

I will check out the cabin positions.  The forward ones still have some available that are more toward midship.  I imagine we would be ok with the movement as we had our own small boat for years and are very used to constant movement. 

I have met many people who do not mind the inside cabins at all, and think they would rather spend their money on their experiences than on their in-room time, which others have said is somewhat limited in these port-intensive trips. Personally I feel a little closed in and, like Bayanno1, feel much better if I can see daylight. Many folks use their balconies a lot (breakfast, afternoon relaxation, etc), and it is nice to go out on them occasionally, but if you are happy enough to walk to the decks, you can certainly get by without one. 

Edited by debcip
Spelling errors

I’d agree with those who vote for an outside view stateroom. The price is not much more than an inside and it is nice to wake up and see daylight. We really like stateroom on Deck 4 - 4040-4056 (cat 5) as these are in a great position. Very close to the stairs to Deck 5 for Mosaic coffee bar, Discoveries Bar and dining-room (main dining room).

2 hours ago, Werangels said:

Some great points thank you.  So, now to ponder on whether to wait and see if there is a double promotion to get a balcony.  Thank you all so much.

You would probably find that the inside prices will increase considerably if a double upgrade offer does become available.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a booking for 2019 on the Croatia trip which is a popular itinerary you may find very few additional promotions now.  It is a gamble but Bloodaxe is right they will adjust the inside cost upwards to almost the same as the cost of the balcony before the promotion

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’d agree with those who vote for an outside view stateroom. The price is not much more than an inside and it is nice to wake up and see daylight. We really like stateroom on Deck 4 - 4040-4056 (cat 5) as these are in a great position. Very close to the stairs to Deck 5 for Mosaic coffee bar, Discoveries Bar and dining-room (main dining room).

I’d agree with this. It’s a good spot to be.  If it’s the 21st September cruise, go for 4048 or 4046.  With the views, a large picture window is nice to have and these cabins are in a good location.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

On 2/19/2019 at 2:16 AM, Bloodaxe said:

You would probably find that the inside prices will increase considerably if a double upgrade offer does become available.

Could OP not upgrade to the balcony without cancelling and rebooking or would that also be considered a cancel and rebook situation in the UK? In the US it would be allowed without penalty, except that we may lose perks such as the Early Booking OBC if the change is made within a year of sailing. But OBC for booking onboard would remain intact (with the caveat that I haven’t made any changes to a booking since last summer and things may have changed).

• 4 weeks later...

We always take an inside cabin. I could never understand why people would spend thousands to upgrade when you only spend a limited time in your cabin. I prefer spending my money on more important things.

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We always take an inside cabin. I could never understand why people would spend thousands to upgrade when you only spend a limited time in your cabin. I prefer spending my money on more important things.

Some of us appreciate having breakfast or late afternoon cocktail on the balcony as well as seeing daylight when we wake up. we all have relative values. In addition, some itineraries have many days at sea. Looking out at the sea is wonderful.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Choice is a wonderful thing, each to their own.

• Like 2

Exactly.  We are all different.  We booked a balcony in the end and the family standing joke at the moment is ‘No, Mum can’t buy that, she’s got a mortgage on a balcony to pay for’ 😂😂.  We are not party animals, big drinkers ie sitting in bars, etc.  We like to have a lovely meal, then in a warm climate, sit on our balcony and read.  Also, for us, to hear the water is everything.