Land Visibility

robcruz

I have a son-in-law who has a phobia for being on a ship where he cannot see land. So my question is that on a Seattle to Seattle Alaskan cruise, is land visible at all times during daylight hours? Thanks in advance for your help. 

No chance - Seattle itineraries go far out west of Vancouver Island, so once you get out of port and lose sight of land you won't see it again at all during Day Two, and depending which port and arrival time it might still not be in sight when you wake up on Day Three. Vancouver RTs would be your only hope of a mainstream cruise that has land close enough to see - as the one-ways cut across the Gulf they won't work either.

I'd advise against ocean cruising entirely if this is a genuine phobia and not just some sort of strong preference for seeing land. River cruising would definitely be what I'd start off with - or if you have the budget, one of the US-flagged small-ship cruises that hug the coast.

Haven't done R/T from Seattle, but have worked on this coast for many years. On departure, you will have land on both sides until clearing Juan de Fuca. Day 2 you head up the Pacific Ocean to the West of Vancouver Island. The ships normally head far enough off-shore that you do not see land.

On returning to Seattle, you retrace the same courses, so will not see land for at least 2 days.

23 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

But if you choose to sail Alaska, Vancouver to Vancouver, you will be sailing the inside passage most of the time - where the nearest land is just a few yards away.

Yes, Vancouver R/T has more proximity to land but day 2 from mid-morning is heading up Hecate Strait and across Dixon Entrance, with no land in sight.