Upgrade and Upsell Question

CruiseMob

4 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

Are upgrades and upsell deals only offered after PIF? 

I’m not sure what PIF is but they are normally offered after final payment - usually a few weeks away (at the earliest) of when you sail.

Upgrades are automatic - there is no offer it just happens.  Upsell which cost $ are offered and optional.

13 hours ago, CruiseMob said:

Thanks. I thought even upgrades were offered and you could refuse them. I've never had one, so I really have no idea.

Paid In Full (PIF), sorry I should have been clearer, another term for final payment.

When you book a cruise you can have it noted on your account that you do not want any automatic up grades. 

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

When you book a cruise you can have it noted on your account that you do not want any automatic up grades. 

Which is exactly what I do whenever I pick my cabin, as HAL's idea of an upgrade is not always the same as mine AND most cabins in the same category (where you are most likely to get a free upgrade to) are very similar in size.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I was just teasing at the abbreviations.       Now  here is a thought  that has worked for me.    When I book I inform my agent  to tell the cruise line sales reps  that I am open to an up-sell  .   I do this since my agent is in daily contact with the company and if there are going to be any up-sells most frequently they are given out to  productive  agents  to reward their patronage. 

When the up-sells come out they are time sensitive,, minutes count and you could loose if  you can  not give an answer yes or no right now.     So, I give my agent a budget and empower him to make decisions for me based on his evaluation.   

You have to have a good volume agent that you trust.   I have had numerous opportunities  for both up-sell and Down-sell      Down sells can be VERY good.  You can  by moving down a class  of cabin or 2,  get a free cruise  or huge OBC ot both.    

Good luck  its time to  get a good agent who books a lot of HAL cruises......................

We got a email from our agent 9 days prior to departure. They had a upsell for a signature suite or Neptune suite. We had booked a balcony guarantee a couple of months prior but still did not have a cabin assignment yet 10 days prior to the departure date.  We paid for the upgrade to the Neptune suite. Still thousands of dollars less then the asking retail price.  Good thing we saw the email soon after receiving it. They only had one Neptune suite left when our agent called Holland for us to accept the offer. It was for a lower deck aft wrap around balcony.  We were happy to have got that even if we might not have picked that location if we had had the choice.  Been in that location on other Holland American ships and you can get some vibration in that location with the ship at full speed.  We ended up having our agent call two days prior to the cruise leaving just to see if by chance any other location had become available. Sure enough there was a port side Neptune available and we were able to switch.   Do not exactly know how Holland picked us for the chance to get a discounted upgrade but we did tell our agent when we booked that we would consider a paid discounted upgrade if there were any available.

50 minutes ago, movie buff said:

We got a email from our agent 9 days prior to departure. They had a upsell for a signature suite or Neptune suite. We had booked a balcony guarantee a couple of months prior but still did not have a cabin assignment yet 10 days prior to the departure date.  We paid for the upgrade to the Neptune suite. Still thousands of dollars less then the asking retail price.  Good thing we saw the email soon after receiving it. They only had one Neptune suite left when our agent called Holland for us to accept the offer. It was for a lower deck aft wrap around balcony.  We were happy to have got that even if we might not have picked that location if we had had the choice.  Been in that location on other Holland American ships and you can get some vibration in that location with the ship at full speed.  We ended up having our agent call two days prior to the cruise leaving just to see if by chance any other location had become available. Sure enough there was a port side Neptune available and we were able to switch.   Do not exactly know how Holland picked us for the chance to get a discounted upgrade but we did tell our agent when we booked that we would consider a paid discounted upgrade if there were any available.

HAL offers "paid upgrades" or as we call them upsells on many of their sailings and it generally is 1-4 weeks prior to sailing.   What happens is that a mass mailing goes out to most people in the lower category (that HAL is trying to fill).   Then, first come, first served on the deal.  You do need to move quickly on the real good deals, but sometimes will come out early with a "weak" upsell about 4 weeks out and hope that someone will "bite".  If not, they lower the price a week later and try again.

2 hours ago, movie buff said:

Been in that location on other Holland American ships and you can get some vibration in that location with the ship at full speed.

On our first and last RCCL cruise 12 years ago we had a very nice midships balcony cabin and the week before we sailed we got the email that we were getting a free upgrade to a Junior or Mini suite. Well it wasn't even close to a suite, just barely larger than a standard balcony cabin and we were the second cabin from the stern of the ship with half our "Suite" balcony blocked by the stairwell from the Lido deck above us.  Every time the thrusters were used while docking out cabin shook terribly at 5 to 6am every morning. That's why we are so dubious about free upgrades. However on our upcoming Alaska Noordam cruise we have a great SS cabin midships and the only upgrade would be a NS which we would take since there are not really any NS locations on the Noordam.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

On our first and last RCCL cruise 12 years ago we had a very nice midships balcony cabin and the week before we sailed we got the email that we were getting a free upgrade to a Junior or Mini suite. Well it wasn't even close to a suite, just barely larger than a standard balcony cabin and we were the second cabin from the stern of the ship with half our "Suite" balcony blocked by the stairwell from the Lido deck above us.  Every time the thrusters were used while docking out cabin shook terribly at 5 to 6am every morning. That's why we are so dubious about free upgrades. However on our upcoming Alaska Noordam cruise we have a great SS cabin midships and the only upgrade would be a NS which we would take since there are not really any NS locations on the Noordam.

Agree with your logic.  If you are going to allow for a free upgrade, you should be fine with any cabin "ranked" higher than yours, otherwise do not do it (IMO).  Most times when I have received a paid upgrade I get to pick my cabin - this has worked out well and I have scored some very nice cabins in great locations.

We are sailing in 2 weeks and bought a guaranteed inside cabin during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.  Didn't have a cabin assignment yet and 2 weeks ago I asked our TA to call about an upgrade due to the price going down 50%.  HAL upgraded us to a verandah cabin and it came with the cabin assignment.  I was afraid it would be under the pool deck but it isn't.  It is nicely sandwiched between two decks of cabins.  The only negative (if there is even one) is that we are just above the life boats.  Still I'm a very happy camper.  Never done a balcony before and worried that I will be spoiled for any future cruises.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

Never done a balcony before and worried that I will be spoiled for any future cruises.

That is a possibility, last year we flew to Rome Italy in the new American Airlines Premium Economy class and now my wife says we are never flying internationally in coach again. LOL  

You will love your first Verandah cabin and the great price you paid for it.

• Like 1

That is a possibility, last year we flew to Rome Italy in the new American Airlines Premium Economy class and now my wife says we are never flying internationally in coach again. LOL  

You will love your first Verandah cabin and the great price you paid for it.

Air Canada sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that I could "bid" on an upgrade to Premium Economy.  The lowest bid accepted was $800 and "poor chance".  The most was $1500.  Wow.  That's for only one way.  Too rich for my blood.

17 hours ago, terrydtx said:

. However on our upcoming Alaska Noordam cruise we have a great SS cabin midships and the only upgrade would be a NS which we would take since there are not really any NS locations on the Noordam.

What do you mean that there are "not really any NS locations on the Noordam?  We were in an NS on that ship and loved it.  

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

What do you mean that there are "not really any NS locations on the Noordam?  We were in an NS on that ship and loved it.  

I meant to say "there are not  any BAD NS locations on the Noordam and I cant go back and edit the post on CC. I would love any NS upgrade on the Noordam.

I meant to say "there are not  any BAD NS locations on the Noordam and I cant go back and edit the post on CC. I would love any NS upgrade on the Noordam.

Thanks for clarifying.  Figured you had left out a word,  Just wasn't sure which word!

Thanks everyone! I actually don't know if I have "no upgrade" on this upcoming cruise. I've done that in the past, but a personal cruise consultant booked these, and I don't know where to see this in the new website. I'll go poke around to see if I can find it. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

We were just offered an up sell to a balcony for $2800CA pp, way too rich for us, I'll save the money for our next cruise.

I bet that price will come down as you get closer to departure, but I agree that is not any kind of a deal.

You have to know the price points and what HAL is usually willing to discount for upsell.  In the case for the 17 night cruise I just started, a balcony cabin was selling for around $2200 a person retail. I found a travel agency selling it for $1499 but that was for a balcony guarantee. Quite a savings but of course you have to be happy with what you get assigned. 9 days prior to leaving HAL contacted my agent to offer me a upsell. A Neptune was going to cost a additional $1000 a person which would make the final total cost at $2499 per person. Only a couple of hundred more than many people had paid for a standard balcony cabin.   The retail price for that Neptune was $5999 per person. So we actually got the Neptune suite for half the retail selling price.  That was worth it.  It is a very nice spacious cabin with a huge balcony with a few perks. I would never have paid the retail price they were asking. On HAL even when you have a expensive suite they nickel and dime you to death. All they offer you is two bottle waters, a coffee machine, and comp free laundry. You want a Coke or anything else it will cost you.  Even in the Neptune lounge that is for the suite guests they charge for all drinks except coffee drinks. Not to impressive if you ask me.  So if you get a great discounted deal for a suite it may be worth it for the space alone, but only if you get a deep discount with a upsell in my opinion.

Edited by movie buff

2 hours ago, movie buff said:

On HAL even when you have a expensive suite they nickel and dime you to death. All they offer you is two bottle waters, a coffee machine, and comp free laundry. You want a Coke or anything else it will cost you.  Even in the Neptune lounge that is for the suite guests they charge for all drinks except coffee drinks. Not to impressive if you ask me. 

We are booked on a Viking Ocean Venice to Athens Cruise in 2020 in a Penthouse Verandah PV1 cabin. We looked at a similar itinerary on the HAL Veendam in both a Vista and Neptune suite. The per day cost on HAL's NS was a lot more than VO and even more when you look at what HAL will nickel and dime their suites guests. Almost everything except gratuities are included in VO cruises, free beer and wine with meals, free beer and alcohol in the cabin mini bar, no corkage fees for any wine brought on board, free unlimited water and soft drinks, no upcharges  for specialty restaurants, free in room WIFI and even one shore excursion in every port is included with VO. VO even threw in their Silver Spirit Beverage package which covers unlimited spirits and wine by the glass under $15 in cost, on a 10 day cruise this package only costs $179pp vs over $650pp on HAL. VO also allows you to bring onboard your own liquor and they will use it to mix drinks at any bar on the ship at no charge.  So before I would ever consider a VS or NS on a HAL cruise I will book on VO if they have a similar itinerary.

• Like 1

As a person who has cruised over the past 25 years more than 80 times I have found sometimes you get what you pay for. It is all good on one level or another if your expectations are in check. I can travel in a suite on most mass market cruise lines for about the same price as a 200 sq ft window cabin on Crystal. The cabin experience might not be as nice as a suite on HAL or Celebrity but the all inclusive experience makes up for it. Also nice to be on a midsize ship like the Crystal Symphony with only 800 passengers compared to a HAL same size ship with 1500 passengers. If I could afford to sail Crystal every time I would. But I can find great times on other lines for much less so I mix it up.  One thing that can attract you more to a certain cruise line is the loyalty program. Celebrity has the best in my opinion. I am a elite plus member. I get a happy hour every night for at least 2 hours with unlimited well drinks, beer, wine soft drinks. Free coffee drinks at their coffe bar all day and night. 250 free internet or a credit of 35% off a unlimited package, at least 2 bags of laundry per person in the cabin and other nice perks no matter what kind of cabin I book.  It is also a very good product and nice ships.  They are smart doing this since I book with them more than other lines.   What HAL is great for is some fantastic longer itineraries that you can not get with Celebrity.