How are the DV rooms on the Sky?

OnTheJourney

We're booked in a DV2 on Deck 5. Looks like there is very limited cabinet / drawer and storage space in general judging from the virtual tour. I expected a bit more. A rep told me there is 18" clearance under the bed, so we'll need that for suitcases. Half the closet is taken up by drawers and so can't hang anything long. Should have gone for a PV room instead. Guess I'm spoiled by some of the "grand suites" I've been in with RCCL!  

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

49 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

We're booked in a DV2 on Deck 5. Looks like there is very limited cabinet / drawer and storage space in general judging from the virtual tour. I expected a bit more. A rep told me there is 18" clearance under the bed, so we'll need that for suitcases. Half the closet is taken up by drawers and so can't hang anything long. Should have gone for a PV room instead. Guess I'm spoiled by some of the "grand suites" I've been in with RCCL!  

So you have a newly revamped DV cabin from the original design, with more storage than before and you're whining.  If you are that spoiled by Grand suites on RCCL why aren't you on that ship now?  You know, they do have larger cabins on the ship.  Why didn't you book one of those?  Now I don't know which cruise you are on or how long it lasts, but I have been on 2 cruises with Viking(15 and 13 days) on the original ship, without the extra drawers and have never been lacking for space  Each time we both took 50 pound bags and a carry on.  Maybe you pack more than you need to and would rather spend that extra money for overweight bag charges.

27 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

So for an extra drawer or two, you would spend thousands more?

You go girl!

Suggestion-Have the coffee maker (that does not brew well) removed from your cabin.  That extra drawer space will, no doubt, overwhelm you!

With all due respect, it appears that a PV has alot more than "an extra drawer or two". This room has very little storage space. Most reviewers of Viking Sky cabins here on CC have said the same thing. 

Dauntless....."more storage than before" means nothing to me having never sailed with Viking. I'm not on a RCCL ship cause I wanted to try this Northern Lights excursion with Viking. You're right...could have booked a PV but wanted a mid-ships location. Also, at the time I booked, I had not explored the room in any detail. Just assumed there would be more drawer / cabinet / storage space. We're not talking about a Caribbean cruise here where it's a smaller suitcase full of some shorts and t-shirts. Talking about heavier winter wear for possible temps down to -25, along with boots, etc. Probably most luggage ever used on a cruise with the least amount of storage out of any room we've ever had.  Not the best combination. Sorry you seem so offended by my post. 

Well, they look fine but, yeah, it limits that half of the closet to less than full hanging space. Many people have said they take along adhesive Command hooks for extra hanging space. Again, we're talking about winter clothing here. My fault for not researching and considering all this further before choosing the room category. I just assumed the room would have similar storage capabilities that I've experienced with other cruise lines. 

Well, in the first place you are comparing apples and oranges.  You compare a RCCL Grand Suite (which I have sailed in) to a Viking veranda cabin.  They are not comparable.  If you want to compare RCCL to Viking you need to consider that a RCCL veranda cabin ranges 192 to 264 square ft, where as Viking's are 270 square ft. minimum.

22 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Dauntless....."more storage than before" means nothing to me having never sailed with Viking. I'm not on a RCCL ship cause I wanted to try this Northern Lights excursion with Viking. You're right...could have booked a PV but wanted a mid-ships location. Also, at the time I booked, I had not explored the room in any detail.  Talking about heavier winter wear for possible temps down to -25, along with boots, etc. Probably most luggage ever used on a cruise with the least amount of storage out of any room we've ever had.  Not the best combination. Sorry you seem so offended by my post. 

I'm not offended.  I did not have your experience when I booked so I had nothing to compare it to.  I just knew this was in my price range and on the 2 cruises (VH ans MO-with a week extension in Switzerland) I know what you mean about having to take a lot of clothes for the weather but I just started packing the layers to make things work.  I don't like to do laundry on vacation but it was a necessary evil on these extended trips and relatively painless since I do mine at home.  I see from your post that you now have done more reading and research and have begun to see what you have booked.  It is all spelled out in their literature so I am surprised when people have that eye opening experience.  You should have a great time on the cruise though and I'm sure by the time you have to pack you will have it all worked out.

21 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Well, they look fine but, yeah, it limits that half of the closet to less than full hanging space. Many people have said they take along adhesive Command hooks for extra hanging space. Again, we're talking about winter clothing here. My fault for not researching and considering all this further before choosing the room category. I just assumed the room would have similar storage capabilities that I've experienced with other cruise lines. 

I can't compare to RCCL, but we did a 15 day cruise with weather ranging from Caribbean to 40's-50's in Spain.

We each brought one 24" suitcase, which fit under the bed. We were in a DV so the same size that you have.

Yes--drawer space is limited but there is a long shelf above the closet rod in the closet and we simply had stacks of pants and tops up there. Small things in the drawers. You could leave bulky items in the suitcases under the beds for easy access.

There is plenty of storage. But if you want more than 270 square feet then you should consider moving up to a Penthouse Veranda. That has an extra dresser type unit opposite the bed.

1 minute ago, Dauntless said:

I'm not offended.  I did not have your experience when I booked so I had nothing to compare it to.  I just knew this was in my price range and on the 2 cruises (VH ans MO-with a week extension in Switzerland) I know what you mean about having to take a lot of clothes for the weather but I just started packing the layers to make things work.  I don't like to do laundry on vacation but it was a necessary evil on these extended trips and relatively painless since I do mine at home.  I see from your post that you now have done more reading and research and have begun to see what you have booked.  It is all spelled out in their literature so I am surprised when people have that eye opening experience.  You should have a great time on the cruise though and I'm sure by the time you have to pack you will have it all worked out.

Will manage the best we can!! Thanks for being understanding and, you're right, I know I should have put more thought into the room choice...was too anxious to get the trip booked I guess and just assumed the DV category would be sufficient...and it may well be...but a bit more room for this particular trip probably would be greatly appreciated. 

1 minute ago, broker1217 said:

I can't compare to RCCL, but we did a 15 day cruise with weather ranging from Caribbean to 40's-50's in Spain.

We each brought one 24" suitcase, which fit under the bed. We were in a DV so the same size that you have.

Yes--drawer space is limited but there is a long shelf above the closet rod in the closet and we simply had stacks of pants and tops up there. Small things in the drawers. You could leave bulky items in the suitcases under the beds for easy access.

There is plenty of storage. But if you want more than 270 square feet then you should consider moving up to a Penthouse Veranda. That has an extra dresser type unit opposite the bed.

Did a virtual tour of the DV and saw that extra dresser. Oh well, guess at this point I'm better off with a room that experiences less motion in case things get rough in the North Sea. 

I think you will be fine! The ship is lovely and I found the storage to be ample. But we are not evening gown and tux type people so the lack of full length closet storage did not impact us.

The self-serve laundry is free and if you send out laundry or dry-cleaning it is really reasonable. So pack light.

Maybe stuff bulky coats under the bed or on closet top shelf when you return from excursions? 

When we were on the Sky (for 3 weeks) we did not have the drawers in the closet. We are excited to have those for our Orion cruise on Friday. We did take the coffeemaker out and used the shelf for more storage. Not having long hanging space in the closet on one side I don't think will bother us...and I'm 6 feet tall so my stuff is long. Husband shorter. If I had the money I'd do the PV...our friends had it and it was great! Lots more storage. Plus the closet in the DV is very inconvenient being next to the bed. But we were fine for 3 weeks with the coffeemaker out.

If there'd be a PV more midships I'd probably consider it. Some rooms must have opened up the past few weeks cause I know nearly the whole ship was sold out for our sailing. 270 sq feet overall (incl. balcony) really is not a bad-sized room. I've been in Celebrity jr. suites that were 170 with another 40 or so for the balcony, so this is larger. Don't think I'll go back in one of those jr suites again though. In those (2A and 2B veranda) rooms, if someone opens the closet and bathroom doors at the same time there is a mild collision since they are directly opposite each other. 

2 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Wait a minute!  I was on the Sky in January, in a DV cabin (4060). There were no storage drawers in the closet. We had the full length of the closet (about 5 feet) for hanging our clothing. The drawers are a new edition starting with the ship after the Sky. There has been some talk of retrofitting the older ships but if the job has begun, it hasn't been finished. There is a shelf above the hanging rod that can be used for storage.

This trip we brought suction cup hooks to use in the bathroom (for hanging our hand laundry). They only work on the glass of the shower enclosure but that was enough to be be very helpful.

I would contact Viking directly (tellus@vikingcruises.com, not the phone number). Give them your cabin number (and ship name) and ask if the closet has been retrofitted with drawers in the closet. That way you will  know for sure and not stay up all night fretting about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

On the Star.  I don't think it has been renovated with the cabinet in the closet.

In Apr/May last year it hadn't been.  I always take my stuff that needs to be hung already on hangers when I pack.  Not the fanciest way to go but the wire hangers take up less room in the closet and really weigh nothing compared to convenience of shaking them out, spraying them with wrinkle release and putting them in the closet.  For me the shelf works for sweaters and such.  last cruise I was on the side with the closet and I used the nightstand cubbie for socks and underwear.  In V cabins there is no coffee maker so I  have that space as well  (although that does seem a shame for those that drink coffee as that seems to be the main reason for the price increase)  Day bags under the coffee table as it is tucked in the corner and out of the way so you still have use of the top.  Anything else can  go in the suitcase, easily accessible if needed.  There's drawers in the bath on each side for each passenger to have their stuff for in there neatly tucked away.  with the drawers on the side of the closet and that cubbie above them also available, there is more than enough room----------unless you're doing a fashion show from the steamer trunk you brought on board!

Peregrina...how very interesting!! Glad you mentioned this. I saw a virtual tour of DV cabin, but that is no guarantee of what will be in mine! Will check it out. Drawers in a closet are better than no drawers at all. Thanks!

Just sent the email to that address now...I'll post back as to what I find out. 

26 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

In Apr/May last year it hadn't been.  I always take my stuff that needs to be hung already on hangers when I pack.  Not the fanciest way to go but the wire hangers take up less room in the closet and really weigh nothing compared to convenience of shaking them out, spraying them with wrinkle release and putting them in the closet.  For me the shelf works for sweaters and such.  last cruise I was on the side with the closet and I used the nightstand cubbie for socks and underwear.  In V cabins there is no coffee maker so I  have that space as well  (although that does seem a shame for those that drink coffee as that seems to be the main reason for the price increase)  Day bags under the coffee table as it is tucked in the corner and out of the way so you still have use of the top.  Anything else can  go in the suitcase, easily accessible if needed.  There's drawers in the bath on each side for each passenger to have their stuff for in there neatly tucked away.  with the drawers on the side of the closet and that cubbie above them also available, there is more than enough room----------unless you're doing a fashion show from the steamer trunk you brought on board!

Where are the drawers on the side of the closet?  Don't recall seeing that....

5 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Where are the drawers on the side of the closet?  Don't recall seeing that....

As you enter the cabin and just past the bathroom door, they are right there.  If you have seen the coffee maker, they are directly below that.  There appear to be 4 but the top one is really a door for the cabinet for the safe.  The next three down are drawers.  The are as wide as the closet is deep.  If you look at the closet, the doors come from the wall and then stop but the frame keeps on going so this will give you an idea of how deep the drawers are.