How are the DV rooms on the Sky?

OnTheJourney

Above the coffee maker are two more shelves. As mentioned, the drawer below the coffee maker is where the safe is. There is additional storage in the two night stands plus two drawers in the bathroom to tame the counter clutter. Note shelf above hanging rod and the red Viking umbrella in the corner of the closet. There won't be enough hangers in the closet when you get there but you steward will bring you more upon request.

enhanceenhance

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Above the coffee maker are two more shelves. As mentioned, the drawer below the coffee maker is where the safe is. There is additional storage in the two night stands plus two drawers in the bathroom to tame the counter clutter. Note shelf above hanging rod and the red Viking umbrella in the corner of the closet. There won't be enough hangers in the closet when you get there but you steward will bring you more upon request.

Thanks for the pictures Peregrina,

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

enhanceenhance

Dauntless...thanks...I'll have another look at the virtual tour and see if I can spot this. I emailed the one Viking rep that I was corresponding with about all this and specifically asked if she can tell me whether or not my room has been "retrofitted" with that closet drawer cabinet. Not quite sure why they put it in there. Wouldn't there have been a place for it somewhere other than taking up closet space? I mean, 270 sq feet is really a decent-sized room. Can't imagine that there wouldn't have been some floor space where it could have gone, but perhaps not. 

1 minute ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Dauntless...thanks...I'll have another look at the virtual tour and see if I can spot this. I emailed the one Viking rep that I was corresponding with about all this and specifically asked if she can tell me whether or not my room has been "retrofitted" with that closet drawer cabinet. Not quite sure why they put it in there. Wouldn't there have been a place for it somewhere other than taking up closet space? I mean, 270 sq feet is really a decent-sized room. Can't imagine that there wouldn't have been some floor space where it could have gone, but perhaps not. 

There really isn't any floor space, not without giving up other features.

When they put the drawers in the closet, they do put a hanging rod above them so that you can still hang shirts and other short items. You lose the shelf space but you still have five feet of hanging space. To gain hanging space, if you don't use the terry cloth robes provided, you can ask that they be removed.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

These are from your cabin?  So you found the storage enough for two people?  Looks tight.

It is tight, probably, compared to you bedroom at home.  I don't know what you're bringing but we found room for 100 lbs of stuff in our bags and that doesn't count our carry ons that we also both had.  Peregrina bag is om the coffee table in the sitting area and if you move that to the corner you will have more floor area in the middle and the impression of more room.

1 hour ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

People said they needed more storage space and the floor real estate pretty full. they only had a few places to take it from without upset the flow in the cabin.  Now for a world cruise, this might present a problem but for a 10-30 day cruise you can adapt.  Also, if you are comparing this to to other cabins in the industry, from what I have heard, you do have some more space and the common areas provide so many places to serve as your spot.  This is your bedroom and the rest of of the ship is your "house".

7 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

It is tight, probably, compared to you bedroom at home.  I don't know what you're bringing but we found room for 100 lbs of stuff in our bags and that doesn't count our carry ons that we also both had.  Peregrina bag is om the coffee table in the sitting area and if you move that to the corner you will have more floor area in the middle and the impression of more room.

LOL, that is exactly what we do--bag and all!  I read about it after our first Viking cruise and have been doing it ever since. One chair moved up against the night stand, one chair turned 90° in front of the slider and the table tucked back along the party wall. Careful, though, the table is heavy.

• Like 1

I cannot understand how such an insignificant topic as this has reached 34 posts, despite detailed information from Peregrina and Dauntless of what there is and how to go about it, having been there, done that and got the tee-shirt (to be put in a drawer).  And it has cropped up before, to be found using "Search".  Why does each item brought on board have to be removed from a suitcase and stored in a drawer?  Discuss!  Or maybe not.  Or perhaps rent a bit of the hold from the Captain?

For what it's worth, the "new" drawers in the wardrobe on Orion measure 49x38x16cm and the drop from the hanging rail above this chest of drawers is 98cm.  There is thus ~50cm "short" hanging width (suitable for men's shirts and the like),  and over 50cm full length hanging.  If he's lucky and really quick off the mark, the man could grab a wee bit of the short hanging for a few of his shirts, and then store next day's and next week's clothes in his case under the bed.  His socks won't crease!  This method maximises domestic harmony and avoids "his" clothes encroaching on "her" space.  Somewhere on this message board I believe I have seen a photograph of these drawers in the wardrobe, but can't remember where.

We have always found ample room in DV cabins on VO for 20kg of luggage each plus carry-ons.  VR is tighter, but as river cruises are often shorter, with a bit of organisation there has been little problem.

Thanks for more info. I agree...probably time to put this to rest, but will just add that I heard from another passenger who was just on the Sky and said in his DV3 there were no drawers in the closet, so not sure what's going on with this? Do some rooms have it and others don't? 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Do we know what ships have it and what don't.  Maybe we can put a list together.

Star, Sea and Sky were not built with drawers in the closet; it is unclear if there has been any retrofitting of the cabins. The drawers in the closet started with the Sun and continues with Orion and Jupiter.

As a reminder to folks who are new here, this conversation applies only to DV and V cabins. The other cabin categories already have additional drawer space.

3 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Awaiting a reply from Viking as to whether or not my room on the Sky has the closet drawers or not. As of now it remains a mystery ;0)

Probably not if you read Peregrina's post right above yours.

10 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

If so then I was mislead by the Viking agent, who is the one that sent me a picture of a closet with the drawers in it - knowing that I was specifically inquiring about DV rooms on the Sky. 

The Viking agents don't know everything. They haven't sailed on these ships and they don't have the time to keep up on the ever-changing details. They do their best, especially when it comes to the minute details. They answer your questions and then move on to the next phone call. I wouldn't want the job.

The Viking agents don't know everything. They haven't sailed on these ships and they don't have the time to keep up on the ever-changing details. They do their best, especially when it comes to the minute details. They answer your questions and then move on to the next phone call. I wouldn't want the job.

We are booked in a PV cabin on an upcoming cruise on the Jupiter. While our TA was on the phone with a Viking agent during the booking process, we had her ask the agent whether the cabin we'd selected would have a slider or a door. The agent's reply was that "all PV cabins on the Jupiter would have sliders." While I suppose anything is possible, and no one has reported specifically about the Jupiter yet, I seriously doubt the agent had any clue what she was talking about.  

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk