Balcony camera??

TriumphGuy

Saw this device on the Crown, one for every two balconies. It had what appeared to be three very small lenses in it. Is this a camera? Is the camera actively monitored or is it only viewed if there is a problem? Can the camera see inside the cabin, especially at night? 

Not paranoid, just curious.

P2130169.JPG

7 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

Saw this device on the Crown, one for every two balconies. It had what appeared to be three very small lenses in it. Is this a camera? Is the camera actively monitored or is it only viewed if there is a problem? Can the camera see inside the cabin, especially at night? 

Not paranoid, just curious.

P2130169.JPG

No camera.......

Fire/Heat/smoke sensor. These were added after the Star Princess fire.

Sprinklers were added as well.

12 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I know that's off topic but that rust is all I can see in that picture.  Time for a much needed paint job to go with those pristine looking smoke sensors.    

Thank the wonderful world of plastics. I just find it interesting the smoke sensor is made out of a flammable material.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Thank the wonderful world of plastics. I just find it interesting the smoke sensor is made out of a flammable material.

So are the covers on the ones in your homes. If the sensor catches fire it will have already been sounding the alarm for some time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I know that on aft suite balcony on the Golden Princess there is a camera on the balcony

See attached photo the thing in red circle looking at it closed it looks alike a camera to me.

camera.thumb.jpg.ea95bed77e34a5fc64634d0543cfd541.jpg

After looking through a few found this one

Cheers Don

They have a few aft cameras.

Used for safety and security reasons.

Not meant to view balconies.

18 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Just because its plastic doesn't mean its flammable.  There are lots of items we use on ships that are made of phenolic plastic that only smolder when subjected to direct flame.

20 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Rust Never Sleeps.

Our cabin was R743, the last starboard standard balcony cabin on Rivera deck. There was quite a bit of surface rust on the balcony. I think the Crown is due for a drydock soon, hopefully they'll address it. Did not detract from the enjoyment of our cruise though.

I realize that but Princess must be the worst at maintaining their ships.  We've cruised over 50 times and I have seen all different ships of the same age as those in the Princess fleet.  I always have a great time, so don't get me wrong ... but I've never seen such a lack of overall maintenance and upkeep as I have on Princess.  The winner ... Royal Caribbean, by a mile.  Not even my favorite cruiseline but they sure have beautiful ships ... and they know how to keep them beautiful.  

18 hours ago, Kenswing said:

Looks like that unit has either been tampered with or someone forgot to tighten a screw after installation/servicing. 

Yep. One of the screws was totally loose and the cover was not flush. Had I known it was a fire/smoke sensor I would have mentioned it to someone. Sure looked like a camera to me.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just because its plastic doesn't mean its flammable.  There are lots of items we use on ships that are made of phenolic plastic that only smolder when subjected to direct flame.

The problem is, balcony plastics ARE flammable. Deck mats, furniture and see through panels. And when they burn, they burn hot. 

image1439165.jpg

3 hours ago, jlp20 said:

The problem is, balcony plastics ARE flammable. Deck mats, furniture and see through panels. And when they burn, they burn hot. 

image1439165.jpg

Just as an FYI- As chengkp75 has stated multiple times, the cause of that fire has not been 100% determined.

5 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Just as an FYI- As chengkp75 has stated multiple times, the cause of that fire has not been 100% determined.

While the last I heard, cigarette blown back onto balcony where towels were left was the cause, I didn't make any statement about it nor do I care. Instead of widely spaced teak flooring, aluminum furniture and glass barriers, Princess has gone the cheap route and used potential hazardous material due to low maintenance costs.Just waiting for the wooden rails to vanish

4 hours ago, jlp20 said:

While the last I heard, cigarette blown back onto balcony where towels were left was the cause, I didn't make any statement about it nor do I care. Instead of widely spaced teak flooring, aluminum furniture and glass barriers, Princess has gone the cheap route and used potential hazardous material due to low maintenance costs.Just waiting for the wooden rails to vanish

It was assumed that a cigarette was blown back onto the balcony, since no definitive cause was determined.  And since the Star Princess fire, SOLAS has required that cruise ship balconies provide one of two methods of fire prevention/suppression:  either all materials are non-flammable (the phenolics I mention), or that a fire detector and sprinkler be installed.  Princess has gone the detector and sprinkler method, other lines have gone the non-flammable route.  Is one method cheaper than the other?  Doubtful, since heat/smoke detectors have a limited life span in an open marine environment, and require regular replacement, and the capital expense of piping sprinklers and renewing the sprinkler heads due to damage or salt water every few years is not inconsiderable.  And, the sprinkler method will suppress a fire long enough for the alarm to bring a fire team to extinguish the fire easily.

And one of the reasons the Star Princess fire burned so hot is that the fire teams could not access a burning balcony from the next one, which is why all newer balcony dividers are able to be opened (not for passenger convenience).

Edited by chengkp75

On 2/19/2019 at 12:04 AM, Pam in CA said:

Just FYI, the bridge officers use binoculars to constantly monitor the seas... and balconies. 

1 minute ago, TracieABD said:

Ruh roh!

The camera under the bridge wing, used to scan the entire side of the ship (including for overboard incidents), is steerable and zoom-able from several control stations, so if you can see this camera from where you are doing whatever on your balcony, it can see you, and bored officers frequently take control of these cameras.

• Haha 1

Just now, chengkp75 said:

The camera under the bridge wing, used to scan the entire side of the ship (including for overboard incidents), is steerable and zoom-able from several control stations, so if you can see this camera from where you are doing whatever on your balcony, it can see you, and bored officers frequently take control of these cameras.

I am extremely well-behaved on cruises. Just saying. 

Though this stands as a warning for those who may have more adventurous proclivities...

2 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

I am extremely well-behaved on cruises. Just saying. 

Though this stands as a warning for those who may have more adventurous proclivities...

Judging from the average age of the pax on our last cruise, I'd say those cameras didn't get a lot of attention from the bridge officers.:classic_blink:

• Like 1