Your Fav Tips You Learned Here

MsSoCalCruiser

8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it was much longer than that....

I just looked back at the complaint thread about it. It started on April 25, with a poster saying that he/she had seen the price jump the night before (so April 24).  By a couple of thread pages later, but still April 25, a poster reported that Princess had thrown in the towel. The poster had received an email from Princess that read:

"We apologize for the pricing error. We are in the process of refunding the price difference from guests who purchased the water bottle package over the past day. The price will be fixed in Cruise Personalizer shortly."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

Regarding the volcano- I can see it's made with soft serve ice cream. Do they have hard ice cream in the MDR? I love banana splits but hate soft serve.

We get them in the MDR, and they're always made with hard ice cream. Are you maybe looking at the whipped cream and thinking it's soft serve ice cream.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coopco said:

Sorry to hear this one. I learned so much about tipping from Cruise Critic. The latest I learned from our last cruise was if you put the tip on the bill, it goes to corporate to be divided with everyone. I specifically asked a bar tender on the cruise prior and he said he would get the tip. But I'm pretty sure it goes into a pool from our last waitress from the Crown Grill. So from now on, we will bring cash and hand it to the waitstaff we want to get the extra tip. Now I've opened myself up to ridicule but that was what I was told on our last cruise (after leaving lots of tips by adding it to the receipt total!)

No ridicule for you since you are not out here with some weak, lame excuses to justify not tipping; sometimes I read those just for sport! 😂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it USED to be a great price. Not anymore.

On my cruise personalizer a case (12) of bottled water (500 ml) is $8.97 cad. Sonunds pretty reasonable to me. 

Glenn

To edit this... sorry for the post. I didn’t read further along the thread before I responded. My bad!

Edited by Grburkart

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

Regarding the volcano- I can see it's made with soft serve ice cream. Do they have hard ice cream in the MDR? I love banana splits but hate soft serve.

Cyn87,

Every time I ordered a Volcano it was NOT made with soft serve ice cream in the MDR. I don’t ever remember  having soft serve ice cream in the MDR.

Tony

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it USED to be a great price. Not anymore.

$6.90 for 12 bottles of water is a great price.  I went in to do for our first (and probably only) Disney cruise and you could pre-purchase 6 bottles of water for $10 PLUS tax, PLUS gratuity.  So a flat $6.90 for 12 bottles is a good price in my opinion!  Has it been less in the past?

Sorry didn't read all the way either!  But with the Disney info. at least I know I am getting a good deal so to speak with Princess!

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands

One other thing.... I have learnt....     Princess is the line for us... after reading hundreds of posts... Princess fit us to a glove....

Also go with the flow... make the best of your cruise..... and OMG some of the people you run into.....  on our late cruise in November 18.... last full day going into the lift to go to our cabin and the older than us couple...   and we smiled and asked if they have enjoyed their cruise......

( well great weather, smooth seas,  go into every port ).... the reply was priceless

This has been the worst cruise ever.. the ship and everything on it is third rate.. we are never sailing on princess again.... ( note they did have one of those black card round their necks )

we just smiled and got in lift.... trying not to laugh.... the other half thought they  maybe there in tender class.....

Cheers Don and only 5 sleeps to go

• Like 2

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

One other thing.... I have learnt....     Princess is the line for us... after reading hundreds of posts... Princess fit us to a glove....

Also go with the flow... make the best of your cruise..... and OMG some of the people you run into.....  on our late cruise in November 18.... last full day going into the lift to go to our cabin and the older than us couple...   and we smiled and asked if they have enjoyed their cruise......

( well great weather, smooth seas,  go into every port ).... the reply was priceless

This has been the worst cruise ever.. the ship and everything on it is third rate.. we are never sailing on princess again.... ( note they did have one of those black card round their necks )

we just smiled and got in lift.... trying not to laugh.... the other half thought they  maybe there in tender class.....

Cheers Don and only 5 sleeps to go

That’s hilarious! When my wife starts to hear about other people’s complaints she usually cuts them off and says how she loves the cruise and her only complaint is all the complainers. It Always shuts them up!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, southerngoose said:

Mine is a travel model with no water needed.    Still needs a plug though and my life will be happier with an extension cord.  

Off the subject (sorry, mea culpa)...BUT water isn't needed for any CPAP. Originally CPAPs didn't have a way to add water and compliance was low due to discomfort. Fisher & Paykel came out with a universal add-on humidifier. It was so beneficial, all the manufacturers added humidifiers.

If you don't dry out using your CPAP, you don't need the humidifier.

I've learned that we who always find joy & happiness on a Princess cruise will never change the attitudes of the complainers. They will always find fault. And the complainers will never change our love for cruising with Princess.  Hello. My name is Shirley. And I am a Princess addict. And I am not ashamed. ♡😁

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Off the subject (sorry, mea culpa)...BUT water isn't needed for any CPAP. Originally CPAPs didn't have a way to add water and compliance was low due to discomfort. Fisher & Paykel came out with a universal add-on humidifier. It was so beneficial, all the manufacturers added humidifiers.

If you don't dry out using your CPAP, you don't need the humidifier.

If you do use a humidifier, just ask your steward and he will bring you distilled water. My son uses a CPAP and the first day we asked and he promptly brought a big enough bottle for the whole trip.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:16 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how interesting - thanks for letting me know! I looked it up and sure enough - $6.90. Princess must have reduced the price after raising it. Maybe, due to low demand after making the price unreasonable. I am going to purchase it now!

Yes, they  did.  It was quite a kerfuffle here on these boards and boom, the price went back down.   

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 7:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I'd be happy to:

Luggage Valet (or whatever it is called on Princess)

In a few ports (Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Seattle ... there may be more), you pay to have your luggage taken directly from your room to the airport and you don't see it again until your home airport.  There are a few restrictions (flight times, airlines, disembarkation ports, etc) and the cost is approx $25 pp.  They also check you in for your flight, print out your boarding passes for you and they are available for you in your cabin.  The best part is not having to weigh your luggage to make sure it is under that 50 lbs mark.  In Seattle, the port was picking up the fee for anyone that used this a couple of years back.  Not sure if they are still doing this but we were able to take advantage of it twice.  Also, this comes right off your OBC if you have any left over.  One more thing, you don't both have to sign up for it ... one charge covers two pieces of checked luggage so you can always just print out the other person's boarding pass at the airport or internet cafe.  The real value lies in them handling your luggage from door to home airport.  

Price drop announcements

More than once, someone on my roll call has announced the pricing on our cruise has dropped and I call in to get the lower price.  Sometimes, I am the one to post it if I notice my costs have gone way down.  

Better options at the Trident Grill at dinnertime 

At dinnertime, the Trident Grill has a different menu ... not just hamburgers, hot dogs and fries.  They were offering crab cakes and onion rings up in Alaska.  I've also seen chicken wings, ribs, etc offered on different occasions.  I think they offer something every night that is above and beyond the normal.  The wings were fantastic, btw ...as were the crab cakes.  Last time, during the nighttime movie, they had a special buffet table set up (manned table) where you could just grab what you wanted.  At least once time during each cruise, we skip the MDR and head to the trident grill instead (and a salad from the buffet).  

Thank you for letting me know about the chicken wings at the Trident Grill at dinner time. I’m a huge fan of wings. I wonder if there are any other places to order wings onboard? 

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for letting me know about the chicken wings at the Trident Grill at dinner time. I’m a huge fan of wings. I wonder if there are any other places to order wings onboard? 

I've seen them before in the buffet but just as at the Trident Grill, only once or maybe twice per cruise.  

I've not seen them elsewhere, though.  I haven't been on a ship that had Share ... maybe there, maybe not.  

I try to scope them out as I, too, am a big fan of wings.  

• Like 1

Wow it’s so good to know that dinner on a cruise ship has come a long way. Now that you can actually have a Hamburger 🍔 and Chicken Wings 🍗 in one of the Specialty Dining rooms.  Dining on a cruise ship has come a long way. 👎 

Tony

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Wow it’s so good to know that dinner on a cruise ship has come a long way. Now that you can actually have a Hamburger 🍔 and Chicken Wings 🍗 in one of the Specialty Dining rooms.  Dining on a cruise ship has come a long way. 👎 

Tony

Tony… We were talking about the Trident Grill and the buffet.

• Like 1