Best Cabin/Balcony Location On Carnival Legend Alaskan Cruise

arewethereyet615

This is an easy one to answer for us! Deck 4 Vista View cabin aft. You’ll have the greatest balcony in the fleet, a 180 degree view, a huge cabin with separate bedroom, 2 televisions, walk in closet, separate vanity area, and oodles of floor to ceiling windows. The overhang on deck 4 is greater than the other decks- if it is raining or sunny, you have more protection. The balcony railing isn’t as great of a slant as the decks further up, so you have more usable space. We’ve sailed in 2 vista views on the Spirit and have another one booked on the Miracle this fall. Good luck choosing your favorite balcony!

Edited by Linsuesue

I think as the above post says, an aft view is probably going to be the best of both worlds, but if you can't secure one then I wouldn't worry too much. We had a port side cabin on Legend (I can't remember which deck) and saw the most amazing things. I don't think there is a bad view of Alaska! Our cabin was near the midship stairs so if there were any announcements about things on the other side we could quickly run up to the Lido deck in time to see. (This only happened once or twice during the week) When viewing glaciers the ship does a complete 360 so everyone gets lots of time to view. 

Been to Alaska 3 times.  Had a mini-suite with a huge balcony on the first one.  Barely used it at all.  

Next 2 cruises to Alaska, we booked an Oceanview cabin and loved it.

Unlike going to a tropical area, it's often cold and rainy in Alaska.  Everyone thinks that a balcony cabin is a must-have for Alaska so they sell out quickly and at a premium.  Our first cruise was only 7 days.  Our next two cruises were 14 days each.  The only time there is truly anything to see, is while you are sailing into one of the Fjords or to a glacier.  Until you get really close to seeing the glacier, it's more comfortable to be sitting near a window on the Lido deck enjoying a snack.  When the ship gets near the glacier, it will slowly rotate the ship.  If you're sitting on your own balcony, you will only be seeing the glacier for about half the time.  Most ships will bring a Naturalist onboard to point out different things along the way.  We prefer to be on an outside public deck to have the best view at this point.  When the ship starts to rotate, we just move to the other side of the ship.

To give you an idea on the price difference, we paid $1999 for the 7 day mini-suite cruise in 2005.  Five years later, we paid about $800 for a 14 day cruise with 8 ports in an oceanview room.

If your dates are flexible, wait until about 6 weeks out to book your cabin.  The cruiselines start to heavily discount Alaskan cruises by then.

• Like 1

I did like having a balcony on my alaska cruises.  It isn't a sunning yourself type of cruise, but I liked being able to pop outside, hear the cracking of the glacier ice or have a chance to see what was being announced by the naturalist even if I was in my cabin.   Also, on Glacier bay day, it was hard  to get a table anywhere in the lido for a meal.  People were camped out all day long at the window tables just playing cards and watching the view.  So in that case a cabin with a balcony or a window at least can come in handy.   We finally found a seat on a different deck by a window to take our lunch to, but wish I would have thought to just dine in the cabin or order room service.  

• Like 1

I agree about enjoying the balcony, even though it can be cold by the glaciers it's wonderful to by out there by yourself hearing the ice crack, without lots of other people talking nearby. It feels like you're at the end of the earth. (Depending on the time of year it can be quite warm in some areas too, not sun-bathing weather but pleasant to sit out and view the scenery) 

Also, if an announcement is made when you're in bed it's easier to nip out in your pyjamas than rush to get dressed. Windows will give similarly amazing views, but you won't be able to stick your head out and see absolutely everything. (I can't argue with the price though, i'd happily do a window cabin if I was on a budget) 

• Like 1

If you must limit yourself to a single cabin balcony then an aft cabin will be most enjoyable. But! (there is always a but with me). The best view of Alaska from a ship will not be from a balcony cabin. Get out, move around the deck, relax and enjoy all the services the ship offers along with multiple public viewing areas. All while relaxing and sipping [via cocktail service] on your favorite warm drink with your feet up on on the railing wrapped in a supplied blanket. When that view begins to bore you, simply get up and find the next hot spot. This is how I have enjoyed AK the last couple times. Going back via a window suite this May [Princess]. 

Completely agree with Linsuesue. We have 4237 on the Legend in August for our Alaska cruise coming up and we have 4237 on the Pride out of Baltimore in a couple weeks. Great having two rooms, especially when snoring is an issue and the balcony is amazing. The balcony is much deeper on the lower levels, you can put a lounger out from the outside cabin wall to the railing on 4, higher up we couldn't do that and  had to run the lounger alongside the railing. This is our favorite room on these ships. We like it better than a Grand Suite. 

Edited by libbyonthelabel

Hate giving away secrets.  Top deck for Alaska sightseeing.  An OV is just fine for sleeping.  It is sooooooooooo much cheaper.  Not kidding at all.  While others paid many thousands, we paid $349pp and had our gratuities comped.  Felt like we were stealing. 

Edited by jsglow