Drinks packages

fatbellybinky

Normally drink packages are discounted prior to the scheduled sailing. In some rare cases the drink packages price will change numerous times. What many people do is purchase the package and if the price goes down cancel the existing package and repurchase at the cheaper price.The only thing I would personally add is if you don’t intend to have more than six to eight alcoholic drinks within a twenty four hour period then in my estimation the drink package isn’t worth it.

1 hour ago, Corby114 said:

Normally drink packages are discounted prior to the scheduled sailing. In some rare cases the drink packages price will change numerous times. What many people do is purchase the package and if the price goes down cancel the existing package and repurchase at the cheaper price.The only thing I would personally add is if you don’t intend to have more than six to eight alcoholic drinks within a twenty four hour period then in my estimation the drink package isn’t worth it.

Remember, they cover more than just alcoholic drinks, e.g., soda, bottled water, fresh squeezed oj, specialty coffee, smoothies and the like. That should all be factored in. Prices precruise are usually less than onboard. 

2 hours ago, Corby114 said:

Depending on what you drink and how much you pay for the drink package, way less than 6 to 8 drinks is needed to break even.

We have gotten the package as low as $39.  It seems most sailing precruise are in the mid 40s lately.  Say it is $45 a day, at that price 3 drinks at $12 each, a coffee and a few bottles of water and your about even.  Yes you can get drinks for less which is why I say depends what you drink, personally our wines and martinis are at that $12 mark with some of the newer ships pushing up to $14 where fortunately the max included drink price is higher.

Almost always $58 - $62  pp pd onboard.  Keep checking your cruise planner, depending on the ship the prices go as low as $40 + 18% pp pd. Everyone over 21 in the cabin must also get the package, if there is a over 21  non drinker in the cabin you may be allowed to buy the refreshment package instead by calling Royal direct  

I've been cruising on Royal exclusively since 2013, and I've never seen it cheaper on board--always in advance purchased online.  It's always been available online up to three days in advance of the cruise.

If it's at a price you can handle, go ahead and buy it.  If it drops lower during a sale, you can cancel and repurchase at the lower price with no penalty.

And yes, definitely check out the Royal Caribbean forum -- lots of great info there.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It was actually my wife that posted the question and should have specified that we're only really interested in the Refreshment Package, not the alcoholic beverage ones. We've had those included on some previous cruises so have taken advantage but we're not heavy drinkers and only really want the stuff covered by the Refreshment Package. I can understand the rule where all over 21's in the same stateroom must have a beverage package (to avoid sharing) but I'm not sure if the same applies for the Refreshment Package. I'll look over on the Royal Caribbean forum to see what I can find out. I know that some ships  including Explorer of the Seas have soda dispensing machines that detect the chipped mugs so what's to stop one person filling up their mug and then sharing it around?    

5 hours ago, fatbellybinky said:

Thanks for all the replies so far. It was actually my wife that posted the question and should have specified that we're only really interested in the Refreshment Package, not the alcoholic beverage ones. We've had those included on some previous cruises so have taken advantage but we're not heavy drinkers and only really want the stuff covered by the Refreshment Package. I can understand the rule where all over 21's in the same stateroom must have a beverage package (to avoid sharing) but I'm not sure if the same applies for the Refreshment Package. I'll look over on the Royal Caribbean forum to see what I can find out. I know that some ships  including Explorer of the Seas have soda dispensing machines that detect the chipped mugs so what's to stop one person filling up their mug and then sharing it around?    

Nobody is stopping you from sharing that soda you get from the machine but your own conscience.  However, the rule which you state you understand about the alcoholic package was put in place because of people sharing their package.  Yes a soda is probably only a few cents but sharing is sharing and the package descriptions say per person.  They have also said they can revoke a package if they find you sharing, again not sure they would for a soda, but had heard of them revoking a package when alcohol was being shared.

As for the original question packages are rarely if ever less onboard.  While the refreshment package is not discounted as often it us sometimes pre cruise.

No requirement for both to get the soda or Refreshment package -- just the alcohol package.

I often see Refreshment for $20/day "on sale" in the Cruise Planner, and I actually snagged mine at $17/day during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

As mentioned, if you get it now and later there's a price drop, you can cancel and reorder easily.  

I've never seen it cheaper on board.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, akcruz said:

Nobody is stopping you from sharing that soda you get from the machine but your own conscience.  However, the rule which you state you understand about the alcoholic package was put in place because of people sharing their package.  Yes a soda is probably only a few cents but sharing is sharing and the package descriptions say per person.  They have also said they can revoke a package if they find you sharing, again not sure they would for a soda, but had heard of them revoking a package when alcohol was being shared.

As for the original question packages are rarely if ever less onboard.  While the refreshment package is not discounted as often it us sometimes pre cruise.

My 30 year old son bought the alcohol package from a table set up in the promenade on Oasis.  The person selling the package handed the coke cup to his 12 year old daughter and told her to fill it up at the freestyle machine 20 feet away a Sorrentos.  They really don't seem to  care about sharing soft drinks. The Coke cup itself has  *Share a Coke*  printed in bold letters.  Yes sharing is not allowed, but..