Emeralds

SimplyMarvie

I spent way too many hours as a kid watching "Romancing the Stone", and my husband fell in love with it early on in our courtship, so it's kind of become a family favorite. So now we're doing a Panama Canal Itinerary Cruise this winter, and he really wants to buy me my very own "El Corazon" while we're in Cartagena. 

How crazy/stupid/expensive a proposition is this exactly? My jewelry style tends to be rough and a little boho, and I like big statement necklaces with rough stones. I was thinking something funky and interesting made out of an un-cut or un-polished stone, and was considering the "make your own jewelry" classes that are offered at some of the museums (although, I'm not entirely sure that'd pass muster with Mr. Marvie). Most of what I'm seeing online tends toward the petite and traditional, which isn't really my bag. Any ideas of what we should consider as far as shopping or price points?

• 2 weeks later...

Your proposition is not stupid.   Jewelry in Colombia is not cheap.  You could purchase an unpolished or rough Emerald ( cheaper than polished) and bring it back with you for future design.  Most jewelry stores carry both.     I found my ring at Mr. Emerald.      Several of the stores have websites where you  can look at their inventory and prices.  The Emerald museum is attached to a jewelry store and its hard sell all the way.  They have classes here and  It was so pushy that I could not wait to leave.  Cartagena is such a beautiful city. So much to see and do.  Hope this helps.  

• 2 weeks later...

SimplyMarvie ~ Just wondering how expensive rings are as I am thinking of purchasing an emerald ring on our trip in October.  Is the price for a decent ring in the $1000 range, or would I need to think more in the $3000 range?  Also, did you feel that Mr. Emerald was more reputable than the Emerald Museum, or was it just the hard sell that helped you decide?  Is the selection pretty good at both places?  I have also read about Lucy Jewelry, but their merchandise looks pretty upscale and maybe out of my price range?  Thanks for any info.  Linda

5 hours ago, cruznduo said:

SimplyMarvie ~ Just wondering how expensive rings are as I am thinking of purchasing an emerald ring on our trip in October.  Is the price for a decent ring in the $1000 range, or would I need to think more in the $3000 range?  Also, did you feel that Mr. Emerald was more reputable than the Emerald Museum, or was it just the hard sell that helped you decide?  Is the selection pretty good at both places?  I have also read about Lucy Jewelry, but their merchandise looks pretty upscale and maybe out of my price range?  Thanks for any info.  Linda

Cruznduo: I don't know, because I haven't been yet, but maybe Cruisefan123 does? 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, cruznduo said:

Crznduo - they come in all sizes and price points. I had a really good idea of what I was looking for before I cruised as I didn't want to be overwhelmed.   Do you want a solitary Emerald or with diamonds? Light green or blue green?  I chose a solitary Emerald that was blue green in a bezel setting ( emeralds are softer than diamonds so I wanted to protect it).  I paid $3000 for it.   I think it was close to 1 carat and in a 14 k setting.   I had a tough decision as I really liked another ring that had a smaller light green Emerald with diamonds that was $1400.  I liked Mr. Emerald for its reputation and service.   Not pushy and they answered all my questions.  They have a website that might give you an idea of style and price.   What  I didn't like about the other stores is that it was a hard sell without giving me time to look without interruption - constant barrage of "you like" "buy now" etc.  Hope this helps.  Happy to answer any more questions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:39 AM, cruisefan123 said:

Crznduo - they come in all sizes and price points. I had a really good idea of what I was looking for before I cruised as I didn't want to be overwhelmed.   Do you want a solitary Emerald or with diamonds? Light green or blue green?  I chose a solitary Emerald that was blue green in a bezel setting ( emeralds are softer than diamonds so I wanted to protect it).  I paid $3000 for it.   I think it was close to 1 carat and in a 14 k setting.   I had a tough decision as I really liked another ring that had a smaller light green Emerald with diamonds that was $1400.  I liked Mr. Emerald for its reputation and service.   Not pushy and they answered all my questions.  They have a website that might give you an idea of style and price.   What  I didn't like about the other stores is that it was a hard sell without giving me time to look without interruption - constant barrage of "you like" "buy now" etc.  Hope this helps.  Happy to answer any more questions.  

Cruisefan123 ~ Thanks for your reply.  I have always thought of an emerald as darker green, but are those more expensive and more rare than the blue green ones?  I actually would be fine with either, as my favorite color is more blue than green.  Sorry if that is confusing, but I guess I am confused.  I would not want to spend more than what you did for sure, and would be happy if I found something I liked in a lower price range!  From your input I do know that I can afford to buy something nice and not break the bank. We like to travel, so I would not want to put a ton of money into a piece of jewelry at this point.  I would rather upgrade my diamond another time...lol!  I have looked on the Mr. Emerald site at their designs and have seen some very nice ring styles. Sorry, but another question.  Is Mr. Emerald located in the old, walled city?  I was just looking at ways to get around in Cartagena to do our shopping. We are considering the hop on, hop off trolley.  Did you do a land vacation?  We are doing a Panama Canal cruise at the end of September.  It's my husband's bucket list trip...mine was the Mediterranean, totally different, but I think I will end up liking mine better!!!  Except for maybe buying an emerald ring that is!

On 3/24/2019 at 11:08 PM, cruznduo said:

Cruisefan123 ~ Thanks for your reply.  I have always thought of an emerald as darker green, but are those more expensive and more rare than the blue green ones?  I actually would be fine with either, as my favorite color is more blue than green.  Sorry if that is confusing, but I guess I am confused.  I would not want to spend more than what you did for sure, and would be happy if I found something I liked in a lower price range!  From your input I do know that I can afford to buy something nice and not break the bank. We like to travel, so I would not want to put a ton of money into a piece of jewelry at this point.  I would rather upgrade my diamond another time...lol!  I have looked on the Mr. Emerald site at their designs and have seen some very nice ring styles. Sorry, but another question.  Is Mr. Emerald located in the old, walled city?  I was just looking at ways to get around in Cartagena to do our shopping. We are considering the hop on, hop off trolley.  Did you do a land vacation?  We are doing a Panama Canal cruise at the end of September.  It's my husband's bucket list trip...mine was the Mediterranean, totally different, but I think I will end up liking mine better!!!  Except for maybe buying an emerald ring that is!

We were on Celebrity Reflection twice In the past year that had a port stop in Cartagena.   Mr. Emerald is in the old walled city.  It is just off the main square.  If you are going to San Pedro Claver church it's a short walk from there.  The hop on hop off trolley would certainly take you there.   Wishing you luck in your search and please let me know how you make out!  Bon Voyage!

• 1 month later...