Earliest Return Flight Time in Seattle

turquoisesea

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As discussed on the West Coast Departures board frequently,  you can make a 11:30 flight. Walk off and catch a cab, or have private transportation arranged. 

I second what Cruiser Bob said.  Be ready to walk off the ship by 7 AM.  If you are traveling thru Seattle's Pier 91 make sure you have your passport ready (or whatever ID documents you used  to show  passport control as you exit the building).  If you are flying out of SeaTac airport, there are reader board signs indicating the check point wait time at each of the 5 check points (although Check Point 1 & 4 are pre check only). 

I say this all the time for this Q.  Don't look at the time of your flight.  Look at what time you have to be at the AP.  For an 11:30 flight I'd say no later then 10 a.m.  It's about 30-45 minutes to the AP so you best be on your way around 9.  Doable, probably.  But do you want to be that rushed/ stressed?  What if you dock late? 

There is a reason the cruise line recommends a flight after 1 p.m.  

Remember if you miss your flight, you get the next available flight not necessary the next flight which is probably already full.  

SeaTac airport is crazy busy in the summer.  For example, on any given day in August there are 150K people passing through that airport.  If I had a 11:30am flight, I would arrive no later than 9 am, and even earlier would be a good idea. 

While ships can be late, all these Alaskan ships are just arriving from Victoria BC.  I live just north of Seattle with a view of Puget Sound, and all the ships arriving (three on each weekend day) will sail by my house in a line between 4:20 - 4:45 am.  They are usually docked by 6 am, or earlier.  The shore side staff (pier employees, longshoremen and US gov't border control folks) are all in place by 7am.  The ships usually allow the 'walk off' passengers to disembark by 7:15 am.  The last thing passengers do before leaving the building is to show their passport (or other accepted travel ID) to the US Border folks  and then head outside to whatever ground transportation they have arranged.  There were no late ships at Pier 91 during the 2018 season ( but I do understand that sometimes things can go wrong).

I think it is prudent to be wary of cutting it to close on timing, especially catching a flight.  I do think (in this disembark scenario) that if the OP does 'walk off' carrying their own their luggage shortly after 7 am, catches a cab, that they should be fine making their flight.  Ideally, if they do all this they may even have time to have something to eat at one of SeaTac's many restaurants!

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

SeaTac airport is crazy busy in the summer.  For example, on any given day in August there are 150K people passing through that airport.  If I had a 11:30am flight, I would arrive no later than 9 am, and even earlier would be a good idea. 

While ships can be late, all these Alaskan ships are just arriving from Victoria BC.  I live just north of Seattle with a view of Puget Sound, and all the ships arriving (three on each weekend day) will sail by my house in a line between 4:20 - 4:45 am.  They are usually docked by 6 am, or earlier.  The shore side staff (pier employees, longshoremen and US gov't border control folks) are all in place by 7am.  The ships usually allow the 'walk off' passengers to disembark by 7:15 am.  The last thing passengers do before leaving the building is to show their passport (or other accepted travel ID) to the US Border folks  and then head outside to whatever ground transportation they have arranged.  There were no late ships at Pier 91 during the 2018 season ( but I do understand that sometimes things can go wrong).

I think it is prudent to be wary of cutting it to close on timing, especially catching a flight.  I do think (in this disembark scenario) that if the OP does 'walk off' carrying their own their luggage shortly after 7 am, catches a cab, that they should be fine making their flight.  Ideally, if they do all this they may even have time to have something to eat at one of SeaTac's many restaurants!

Thank you everyone. I am a traveler who always wants to be early.  Our problem was the next non-stop flight after 11:30 is 9:00pm.  Up until now our trickiest airport was Rome. But we made it through Rome traffic, the VAT line and the rediculous AA  checkin in much less time then suggested.  We’ll definitely walk off with luggage and grab a taxing or arrange for a private car. Thank you all for your advice.