Rum & Revolution-live from the Spirit, February 22, San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale

spinnaker2

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I did take a lot of photos, but i can not post them. I give up.

On my cruise last week, I found that I was unable to post full size photos from my phone, but I did find a workaround.  If you are interested, you can email me at boblerm108 at gmail dot com, I'd be happy to help.

Bob

and onward we go to Georgetown, Grand Cayman... speed 15.4 knots likely slower as we have some fairly large waves but the wind is only 3 knots. looking out my verandah i see deep blue seas with lots of strands of yellowy gold sargassum floating by...

i am very disappointed i am completely unable to post any photographs, no way no how.  

our day in santiago de cuba consisted of a bus tour with very politically orchestrated stops. the tour guide was a young man who was also an english teacher.  we had the mandatory cultural exchange stop at a theater where we watched dancers perform.  all of it seemed artificial.

the tender to Santiago de cuba took about 40 minutes time, not including loading and unloading. a long ride in the heat!

the most genuine moment happened for me when we were on the ship and  a small boat chock full of people passed us. the people were waving madly and yelling bienvenidos, bienvenidos! they were happy to see us...i waved madly back yelling thank you!!!!

• Like 1

arrived at grand cayman. 

4 cruise ships total, including the MSC seaside. A GIANT FLOATING apartment building.

all pax from all 4 ships had to tender in, but its quite a bit closer to shore than in Santiago.

DH and i did take the tender into port, went to the town, walked for about 5 minutes and came back to the ship on the next tender.

all sorts of shops and tshirt vendors and candy stores and perfume stores and jewelry stores and crystal and there were mobs of people.

at this time in our lives we have little need for stuff, so the port held nothing of interest for us.

the rest of the afternoon we read, spent some time in the arts cafe and relaxed.

tonight is dinner at the Grill and Liars Club!

and tomorrow is another sea day.

Edited by spinnaker2

Hi Spins, Grand Caymen has always been a Tender port and it can be VERY crowded.   Sounds like it was for ya'll.  I have been there many times over the years.  I remember many, many moons ago I went on a Golf Excursion (I didn't play) but I had become friends with the Golf Pro on board (this was on Celebrity). Anyway, I went with him to ride in the cart:classic_biggrin:.....I think there were 2 or 3 couples who played a round at one of the local courses.  It was a nice afternoon.

i am very disappointed i am completely unable to post any photographs, no way no how.   our day in santiago de cuba consisted of a bus tour with very politically orchestrated stops. the tour guide was a young man who was also an english teacher.  we had the mandatory cultural exchange stop at a theater where we watched dancers perform.  all of it seemed artificial.  the most genuine moment happened for me when we were on the ship and  a small boat chock full of people passed us. the people were waving madly and yelling bienvenidos, bienvenidos! they were happy to see us...i waved madly back yelling thank you!!!!

Too bad you and we are missing being able to see the photographs.  Hopefully at some point you will find why the Silversea Internet is not working properly.  Inquiring minds want to know!!  Especially as we prepared in the less than five months to sail to Alaska on the Silver Muse.  

Fascinating details about both your first stop in Cuba and the crowding in the Grand Caymen Islands.  Keep up the wonderful sharing, Spins!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

the ship sounds her horn as we traverse a circuitous path on a quiet body of water. the sound of the horn echos off the land and water with no response except for some birds.  it is a cool morning, slightly humid, with a clear pink and blue sky as dawn breaks. ahhhh, now the roosters. and of course the sounds of pax on their vernadahs breakfasting.

we have arrived at cienfuegos and it is another tender port. it is the first time for the spirit to visit cuba. every port presents new challenges. we are close, very close to the land on the starboard side,

once we anchor, we are promised a short ride to land.

a 7 hour excursion awaits us which includes a cultural exchange.

Yesterday was Cienfuegos. Our tour was very long and after awhile I grew tired of hearing the same information presented by our tour guide that we had heard on our tour in Santiago. Apparently we are to get lo mismo ( the same) information over and over. If we hear it enough will we believe it? Is this a pattern with a purpose? I believe it is. 

We were obviously shepherded and sheltered by our tour guide.

We drove an hour to see a fortress.  The bus was air conditioned and of Chinese manufacture. There wasn't much traffic on the major highway, and once we turned off we drove along a rough pot holed and patched road. We encountered a few horse drawn vehicles and one or two trucks. Of note was a partially built nuclear power plant from the Soviet era. A giant concrete dome on the coast and we were told, its really wonderful that it was not completed, BECAUSE it is of the same plans as that of Chernobyl.

We finally arrived at the fortress of la Nuestra Jagua. Quite a lovely view out over the channel. The in house docents took over for our tour guides, a strange dance here because they spoke spanish and our tour guides then translated, seemingly not having heard this before.

A 45 minute stop and back on the bus. Our tour guide told us that the little village where the fort was located has everything and is self sufficient. A doctor is on duty all the time and lives in a house int he village where he or she can really learn and attend to all of the health problems of the citizens.

Another hour and now to the square where we saw the theatre (damaged in the hurricane and being repaired) and stood in a revolutionary square to listen to our tour guide and look at the surroundings.  We were shown a balcony from whch Fidel gave a 5 hour speech. Similar to the balcony in Santiago de Cuba where Fidel also gave a speech of great length. And we are told, people still remember this, it was a marvel.

Note that just recently, free wifi is available in public parks.  We observed many citizens on their cell phones.

Edited by spinnaker2

The buildings surrounding the square are lovely. We walk around and all the while our tour guide is talking. I did take many photos.

Back on the bus and time for our cultural exchange activity before lunch. We are taken to a location and seated in an old building by the sea. No screens on the windows or glass. The only climate control came from the cross ventilation, which was enough. We were treated to an extraordinary perfomance by a group of young musicians!  I believe this may be the high point so far of this voyage. They were terrific and enthusiastic. 

Then off to lunch at a melia hotel. A buffet. Ok. 

By this time many of us had our fill of the tour, especially since the next event was shopping and to see a street we hadn't seen before.

I asked the tour guide how much more time for the tour, and he woudn't answer me.

I asked the tour guide  the distance to the pier to pick up the tender. 

At that point, we saw a dramatic change in our guide. In the blink of an eye, and in the asking of the question, his expression totally changed. He said, "I really want you to stay until the end of the tour", in fact, he said, "I prefer that you do so." His formally warm smile became in my opinion, a little menacing. 

Now I was sure I wanted to leave. I told the guide I was tired and did not want to shop, and said I would stay on the bus while he took others to shop. He told me I could not do so, because the bus would not be air conditioned in order to save fuel. By this time another couple also told the tour guide they wanted to return to the ship. He was  most unhappy.  Nevertheless, he offered to have the bus driver drop us at the square where we should wait for him.

Edited by spinnaker2

I am not sure why our tour guide was not receptive to our leaving the tour. Was he worried he would not get a tip, was he told to keep us chaperoned, I haven't a clue and I will never know.

I just wanted to get back on board. 

The bus driver left us at the square, the same one we had been to before.   We were with the other couple and we walked about a bit, looking for a taxi.  There were none to be had. A young woman directed us to walk 4 blocks to a hotel where we might find a taxi.

Then DH saw a taxi at the far end of the square. He walked there, and found no driver. Just in front of the taxi there was a open air mini bus. We asked the driver to take us to the pier and negotiated a price.

In ten minutes time the four of us were on the pier awaiting the tender.

Thank you very much for your posts, especially about tours in Cuba.

Did many people stay on the ship during these port calls? Do you know about the possibility of doing independent tours (not through Silversea)?  

If you were somewhat elderly and not very tolerant of heat and humidity, would you take these tours?

Thanks again. 

hello obs. having not stayed on the ship during the port calls i can not speak to how many pax stayed aboard. but i know that pax do stay aboard and i am sure its delightful and quiet. 

we have been on silversea before and have often stayed aboard while other pax went on tour. 

the ports  in cuba were tender calls but that did not seem to preclude many pax with obvious need of  canes,  walkers and wheelchairs from going onshore.

silversea does try and advise pax about the physical challenges involved.

i did see some tour guides who seemed to be independent. keep in mind this is the VERY FIRST time the Spirit has been in Cuba. there will be lessons to be learned.

silversea does try and advise pax about the physical challenges involved.

Thanks for your response.  I know that Silversea is good about this.  In addition to heat, humidity, what gives me pause is what I fear to be the significant regimentation of time in ports and the intense propagandizing.  I know there are some beautiful buildings, but at what cost to see them?  🙂

On a related matter, do you know if crew were permitted to go ashore?  I was on Spirit a bit ago and crew were looking forward to these new stops (but were uncertain whether they would be permitted to go ashore.)

hmmm Obs. Crew wanted to go onshore but the tender time was prohibitive. 

we saw buildings from the outside, except for the theater in Cienfuegos.

The Captain announced we will overnight in Havana and some new evening tours were added. We have been told we will be docked, and this will make it so much easier for crew and pax to go ashore.

Thanks.  Look forward to hearing about experiences in Havana.   

I know of one Spirit crew member who extended her contract in order to visit Cuba.  I really hope that company policy or immigration regulations do not prevent the wonderful Silversea crew from enjoying this experience.

Spinnaker2 -- Sorry DonnaR and I missed you at the Meet & Mingle.  It was last minute and only arranged because I pressed the issue with the Future Sales Lady.  Not sure if we will be able to meet unless you slip a note under our cabin door or call 664.  We may have already met and just don't know it. -- D&C

Edited by We4lv2trvl

I haven't been on CC during the cruise because WiFi is somewhat slow and unreliable--not unusual for many cruise ships, but at least it's free.  And that's the point--you get what you pay for.  There is a higher level of access that would theoretically allow us to post pictures and stream video, but you have to have high club status, a high end suite, or pay extra.  With a little patience this basic level works fine for email.  It works even better when everybody is asleep but me and the cleaning staff!

• Like 1

Dawn breaks and the sky is a beautful dark blue, just above the coastline there are ribbons of colors, a light purple, pink and golden yellow. Now I can see one of the reasons for the dark ribbons is a large chimney belching smoke into the sky.

Havana awaits! 

we4, sorry we missed the m and m.