Packing for a 19 day trip/cruise

erby2283

I suggest you think of packing as a puzzle to be solved. I can travel for 3-4 weeks (combination cruise/land travel) in Europe with one 24" to 25" inch suitcase and one small carry-on (not a suitcase sized carry on either but a small roller bag that can fit under the seat if necessary).  It's all a matter of smart planning and editing. 

Mix and match works wonders. Plan one (or at most two) base colors. I usually take black (if one color) or black and navy (if two colors) and almost all my options will work with one (or ideally both) colors. I tend to go with tops and bottoms rather than dresses as I feel you get more mileage. So bottoms in the neutrals, tops to mix and match.  

It will be very hot when you are traveling. Look for items in lightweight tech fabrics that breathe and also dry fast when washed. Columbia has a nice range of these in pants, capris, skirts. (I tend to prefer natural fibers for tops, like a lightweight slub cotton). These items are lightweight, so you can fit quite a few into your suitcase. I usually aim for four pairs of long capris or ankle pants (these are my staple, but you may prefer skirts) plus one skirt.  These are for everyday use.  My rule of thumb is two tops for every bottom, so 8-10 lightweight shirts.

REMEMBER:  In churches in Italy, Greece and Spain there is often a requirement to have your knees and your shoulders covered. So keep that in mind when choosing a skirt vs. capris and pack short-sleeve or cap-sleeve t-shirts rather than sleeveless or tank tops. Sundresses require some kind of cover-up like a shawl or shrug.

For evenings, everything has to coordinate with one color (for me, black). I generally bring a pair of black silk pants and a black silk knit skirt. If there is room I may bring a pair of black/white print wide-leg pants, or similar, for variety. I then pack maybe 6 different tops that can mix/match, plus scarves/wraps/jewelry to create different looks.

I generally bring three pairs of shoes. Two for walking/touring/daily on board use and 1 pair for evenings. I highly recommend at least two pairs of well-broken in comfortable shoes for walking. Cobblestones in Europe are very rough on the feet. Also keep in mind that feet tend to swell in the heat and humidity when you're out all day in it.  (I also stick in a lightweight pair of flip-flops!)

If you have to bring a lot of "stuff" for your hair, at least decant it into smaller (lighter) bottles, or bring a smaller-sized travel hair dryer (be sure it is dual voltage) rather than a large one!

• Like 1

Everyone seems to have their own ideas about what to pack.  We know folks that can do a 2 month cruise with just a single back pack.  And there is DW and myself who would likely have 3-4 large bags plus 2 carry-ons.  To us, airline and laundry fees are just part of the cost of travel.  As to packing a single overweight bag vs 2 regular bags, you would need to look at your particular airline's rules for your flights.   Rules and price structures vary between airlines and can even be dependent on the itinerary.

A few years ago we discovered our perfect solution.  It is called Business Class :).  You pay a fortune for a nice lay flat seat but at least your luggage is free.

On your cruise we would probably send out some laundry one time during the cruise.  Many lines will have some kind of laundry promotion such as a full bag for $25.   We do know some cruisers that will spend a port day at a local laundromat (on some ships they have laundromats aboard) but that is not our idea of a vacation.  

Hank

I don't know if all airlines do it for international flights, but I usually fly with Delta when heading to Europe for a cruise, and they allow one checked bag per passenger. We always take a carry-on and check one bag apiece, in addition to a tote-bag each with items that we need for the flight(s). If we are spending a day or two in the port city, along with necessities like meds and toiletries, we always include sleepwear and enough clothing changes in our carry-ons so we don't need to even open our larger suitcases until we are on the ship. Just that really simplifies things!

Besides,  I don't really trust airlines to get our checked bag to our destination on time, even though they have (so far), so having a few changes of clothes in that carry-on is really important to us, in case our checked bags are delayed.

A good thing to have is your own travel luggage scale. If you ever have to pay the inflated price of an overweight bag even once, you'll travel with one from then on! I did, and I do!!

One more thing to add ---- if you thing you might do some hand laundry, throw some pinch-type clothespins in your suitcase. There's a pull-out clothesline in the shower stall, and things will dry quicker if pinned to the line instead of just flopping them over the line!! No need to bring detergent …  you can just use a few drops of the shampoo that's in the pump dispenser in the shower.

Edited by flamomo

20 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Hoping to get some tips from those of you who frequently take longer cruises.

I'll be on a 12 days cruise in August but will be gone for a total of 19 days (with days pre-cruise in hotel in Barcelona and post-cruise in Portugal at a VRBO but no laundry). I don't think my baggage fees are included in the airfare my TA booked (it just says economy but I'll call the airlines to confirm) so I'm worried about trying to fit all my items in one suitcase.  Also, if I do have to pay for my 1st checked bag (say $60) , isn't it better just to pay for an overweight bag and pack more stuff in one bag than to pay for a second checked bag (if I go that route)?

I've scoured these boards and read posts about some packing tips and also the option to send things out for washing on the ship; although I am worried they will ruin my clothes. I have naturally curly hair so I end up having to take a lot of products with me or my hair will end up looking like Monica from Friends in the episode where they all went to Barbados. :classic_biggrin: 

Other than doing your own laundry in the sink or sending stuff off (and praying it comes back undamaged), how would you all pack for this cruise? If you do your own laundry in the sink what tips do you have on that? Would you try to bring sundresses that could easily be rolled? I know a lot of people wear things more than once but Italy in August - and sweating - gonna be tough. I know many of you could probably get away with a carry-on but I can't even do a carry-on for a long weekend. :classic_wink:

I'll probably think of more questions to ask but wanted to get the ball rolling to see what advice you all have.

Most ships have laundry rooms....pick a sea day and do your washing then.....last trip my wife washed EVERYTHING day before arriving home...just folded it all then ironed when we arrived home

I rarely travel with anything bigger than a 20 inch roll-aboard and a purse, even for long trips. It makes me overjoyed when I get home and everything I brought with was used or worn on the trip with no extras. My secret is plain basics in wrinkle-free synthetic breathable fabrics and basic colors. I love ponte and stretch knit and microfiber because they wash well in sinks and dry quickly. I pack basic colors that coordinate with one another -- lots of navy, black, gray, khaki and maroon -- and then have a stash of scarves and costume jewelry to dress things up. 

For 19 days on a cruise and on land, I'd probably pack something like the following: 

2 pairs narrow ponte capris/ankle pants in navy and khaki

1 pair shorts

1 pair loose black linen pants

5-7 basic t-shirts, probably in white, black, and a couple of brights (Kelly green, red, etc.)

3 pairs microfiber quick dry underwear

2 microfiber quick dry bras

1 cardigan sweater, navy

1 pashmina, black

1 pair sports sandals or light athletic shoes

1 pair rothys (everyday flats, suitable for all-day walking)

1 knee-length black knit dress

a pair of light boxers and a tank to sleep in

Then I'd bring 3-4 light cotton scarves, some funky earrings and a few statement necklaces, a foldable hat and 2 pairs funky sunglasses to play with so I don't get bored. Add the camera, iPad/Kindle, cords, water bottle and a packable rainjacket and we're off!

Some of this, to be honest, is a long-term investment in one-bag travel. I have a decent collection of travel-sized makeup samples and always decant my skincare stuff into purchased smaller sized containers, and have spent a reasonable amount of money on travel clothing and accessories. But after one terrible trip where I ended up crying on a pile of baggage in the Miami airport with three kids under 5, knowing I can schlep everything I need without getting winded or worried? PRICELESS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slug33ukuk said:

Most ships have laundry rooms....pick a sea day and do your washing then.....last trip my wife washed EVERYTHING day before arriving home...just folded it all then ironed when we arrived home

Maybe most ships you sail on have self service laundry facilities but that is not true of all cruise lines.  Royal Caribbean for one doesn't have self serve laundry on any ship.  Cruise Critic was kind enough to list the service by cruise line. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Shak

5 hours ago, slug33ukuk said:

Once upon a time this was true, but now its only on a few cruise lines and often not on all the ships of those lines.  You would have to drag DW into any laundry room when she is on a trip as the last thing she wants to do is laundry.  And there is no way DW would want to wash anything before going home because she would just wash everything again as soon as we are unpacked.   When its our last day of a trip we just toss everything into our bags (which takes no more then 30 min).  We know some cruisers that tell us they spend 2 days packing to go home since they launder everything and carefully fold and pack.  While they are doing this, we are usually out and about and enjoying every minute of the cruise.

Hank

I go by the Rick Steve's rule of thumb, plan for the best case scenario, not the worst.  You can always buy anything you need.

For me carry on only has nothing to do with the $ but the ease of travel.  We will be doing an 11 night cruise with 8 more nights on land.  Our apartments on land will have washer and dryer so we will just do laundry one night.

Everyone needs to find what works for them.  You really can fit a lot in one carry on bag if you have the right bag and pack accordingly.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:47 PM, erby2283 said:

Hoping to get some tips from those of you who frequently take longer cruises.

I'll be on a 12 days cruise in August but will be gone for a total of 19 days (with days pre-cruise in hotel in Barcelona and post-cruise in Portugal at a VRBO but no laundry). I don't think my baggage fees are included in the airfare my TA booked (it just says economy but I'll call the airlines to confirm) so I'm worried about trying to fit all my items in one suitcase.  Also, if I do have to pay for my 1st checked bag (say $60) , isn't it better just to pay for an overweight bag and pack more stuff in one bag than to pay for a second checked bag (if I go that route)?

I've scoured these boards and read posts about some packing tips and also the option to send things out for washing on the ship; although I am worried they will ruin my clothes. I have naturally curly hair so I end up having to take a lot of products with me or my hair will end up looking like Monica from Friends in the episode where they all went to Barbados. :classic_biggrin: 

Other than doing your own laundry in the sink or sending stuff off (and praying it comes back undamaged), how would you all pack for this cruise? If you do your own laundry in the sink what tips do you have on that? Would you try to bring sundresses that could easily be rolled? I know a lot of people wear things more than once but Italy in August - and sweating - gonna be tough. I know many of you could probably get away with a carry-on but I can't even do a carry-on for a long weekend. :classic_wink:

I'll probably think of more questions to ask but wanted to get the ball rolling to see what advice you all have.

Two things. One, as far as taking a lot of stuff... Do some searches on packing tips on youtube. A few excellent items out there from flight attendants etc on what to pack and how to pack it neatly. Second, we do a lot of sink washes on a 28 day cruise.  No big deal. Take packets of liquid soap (each good for a sinkful or two). Or use the ship’s shampoo. Rinse well, roll in a bath towel and wringe to remove excess moisture,  hang to finish drying. Our clothes typically dry in about 4 hours, heavy socks or sweaters take a bit longer. We ask our stateroom attendant on the first day to provide us an extra set of towels, but not to take any away unless we have put them on the floor to indicate our intent to have replacements. 

We travel lightly, don’t want the hassle of large suitcases to schlep  though airports and train stations. My suitcase is usually about 28-29 pounds, hers is 24-25 pounds. With the caveat that I do carry my camera gear separately in a backpack weighing upwards of another 20 pounds.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 1