Book Recommendations

jlnprt

I will post this on the northern Europe board as well, but thought I'd ask here, too, since there are so many of you that are so well traveled. Dh and I are going on the Jewels of the Baltic cruise this summer. Does anyone have recommendations for books about the area? Not sightseeing books, but historical books or fiction about the area. Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure if this is what you're after . . . Ruta Sepetys  Link to her web site has written  two that might be of interest to you.   They cover the time period around WW II.  Both are historical fiction, set  in Lithuania (Between Shades of Gray) and East Prussia (Salt to the Sea).  Very well written and educational as well.  

I have heard good things about Out of the Easy, so it is on my TBR list in the future.

Edited by Walfam
  • Like 1

History, biography and non-fiction:

I would explore Peter the Great and Catherine the Great of Russia and anything you can find about about the Hanseatic League.

Very good for this area: The Edge of the World: A Cultural History of the North Sea and the Transformation of Europe by Michael Pye

Edited by OlsSalt

I enjoyed The Winter Palace and Empress of the nIght by Eva Stachniak.  They both are about Catherine the Great and are easy reads.  I too love reading about an area we are visiting.   The Amber room by Steve Berry is another novel of interest.   Enjoy one of my favourite cruises.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

History, biography and non-fiction:

I would explore Peter the Great and Catherine the Great of Russia and anything you can find about about the Hanseatic League.

There are three books by Robert K. Massie that are very good.  They are about Peter, Catherine, and Nicholas and Alexandra.  Huge books, start reading them well in advance of your cruise!  When we were in St Petersburg, the scenes were really brought to life.

Enjoy your cruise!

Maybe it is a little bit dated - but I really liked "Desiree" from Annemarie Selinko

https://www.amazon.com/Désirée-Bestselling-Story-Napoleons-First/dp/1402244029

You learn a lot about swedish history (and french history too)

or

The Man From St. Petersburg from  Ken Follett

or

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Yes, books about the Siege of Leningrad. That was a theme that came up over and over again - how much the Russians (Soviets at the time) sacrificed and how they felt indeed it was their valor that had really won the war in Europe during WWII (true), yet the Americans seemed to garner all the VE credit.

The younger Russians are still very affected by that horrific time their city had to face siege and starvation and how much they wished Americans tourists would just say "thank you".  You will  touch your Russian guides almost more than a generous tip, if you have genuine interest and appreciation for  that harrowing time. There are several movies about this time as well - Netflix.

For a rollicking romp across the decades of the Soviet Union as seen through food, recipes, traditions and longing this is a wonderful book and memoir -" Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking" :     

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17262126-mastering-the-art-of-soviet-cooking

Edited by OlsSalt