anybody back from the Gem Panama Canal Cruise?

bonvoyagie

We are going to do this next year and I am looking to see what tours were available as well as any recommendations on ports to avoid.

We are more destination cruisers so the big draw for us on this cruise will be the Canal itself - that said we also like seeing and learning about cultures and other countries.

We also want to do it safely so that is our #1 concern in this part of the world.

What would interest us would things like Aztec or Mayan ruins, interesting and different animals and plants, natural phenomena etc.

If anyone has a copy of the excursion package I would love a copy.

Thanks in advance

12 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

We are going to do this next year and I am looking to see what tours were available as well as any recommendations on ports to avoid.

We are more destination cruisers so the big draw for us on this cruise will be the Canal itself - that said we also like seeing and learning about cultures and other countries.

We also want to do it safely so that is our #1 concern in this part of the world.

What would interest us would things like Aztec or Mayan ruins, interesting and different animals and plants, natural phenomena etc.

If anyone has a copy of the excursion package I would love a copy.

Thanks in advance

We were on the Gem's full 44 day round trip NY to NY with two Panama Canal transits. Sorry, I didn't keep any of the shore excursion material. There were any number of tours that focused on flora and fauna, particularly in Costa Rica, but also as I recall in Guatemala. I don't recall anything much involving ruins, although I wasn't particularly looking for any tours of that type.

If you go on the NCL website you'll find shore excursions that may be offered on Panama Canal cruises here : https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?destination=Panama+Canal+Cruises although not everything listed will be offered on every Panama Canal cruise, and some cruises might offer additional tours.

Edited by njhorseman

We did a full transit of the Canal two years ago on the NCL Jewel.  I have a review at the link below, including details on the excursions that we took (some private, some with NCL), including seeing the Mayan ruins near Puerto Chiapas and beautiful wildlife in Costa Rica; you may find this helpful if any of your ports overlap.

And in terms of the Canal itself, please do read David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas."  You will appreciate the Canal even more.

• Like 1

Hello,

I was on this cruise and kept all shore excursion material (as well as the freestyle dailies)! I’m planning on scanning it all and posting a review with photos on here next week.

We did four ship excursions and two pre-arranged private excursions. At the other five ports we arranged everything on the day (taxis, local buses, walking, local boats in Cabo, a scooter in Bonaire...). I didn’t feel unsafe at any time.

It was a wonderful cruise - you’re going to have a great time.

• Like 1