Goodwill Guide in Japan

BassettMom

My SIL and I have a Goodwill Guide booked in Tokyo during our stay post-cruise.  The ETGG website says there is a fee of ¥3,000 (to cover the guide's transportation to/from the meeting point, which is our hotel) as well as the transportation (train travel) for the guide, entrance fees, and lunch.  I have no problem with this and have been in touch via email with my assigned guide.  I'm just not sure how to approach the payment issue.  Do I pay her the ¥3,000 cash when we meet her in the morning, or afterward when she delivers us back at our hotel?  I can put it in an envelope so it's not quite so "obvious" that I'm giving her cash.  As we make our way around Tokyo via train, we plan to use PASMO cards (used them during my last visit a few years ago and it worked great).  Should I just get another PASMO card for the guide so we can easily travel by train together without having to buy individual tickets? 

Interested to know what others did when they used a Goodwill Guide--how did you handle the payments for travel, entrance fees, and lunch; I'm assuming we just pick up the bill and pay it for lunch, just not sure how to handle the train travel and fee, as I don't want to cause any embarrassment. 

We also plan to bring a small gift for our guide as well.  My SIL quilts (she owns a quilt store), and has made a quilted shopping bag for our guide (I have one and they are beautiful).  Do you think this would be an appropriate gift?

As I said, I don't want to cause her any embarrassment, and I know giving money to someone can be a bit awkward for some cultures.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by BassettMom
  • Thanks 1

We have used many goodwill guides over the years and have never had a specified amount stated.   During our email  discussions of where we would go and what we would see I asked the guide how I should approach the transport as we were to use the one day bus tickets.   I asked would they like me to buy a one day ticket for them when I purchased ours prior to the day we had the guide which the gude said would be the best.  

In Tokyo it was mostly walking and just a few trains and I just bought their tickets at the machine with the guides help when I purchased ours.

Entry - purchase their ticket along with ours but some guides actually had free passes for some places, so would tell me if they didn't need a ticket.   Meals yes I just paid for their meal along with ours.

The gift is a great idea and what you suggest is good.  Their homes are so very small so nothing big but a small bag is useful. 

I expect as it is a set amount that the guide may ask for the 3000 yen when you first  meet, if not I would offer it at the beginning as the guide might be reluctant to ask.   I would not buy another card as chances are your guide already has one, its what the Japanese use to get around.  

Have a wonderful day,  the hardest part for us is keeping up with the guide, don't be afraid to ask to slow down if you find they are walking too fast.   They are super excited to show you their city and are so much healthier than many westerners and walking is no issue even to the elderly Japanese.

Edited by Tara Jane
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, BassettMom said:

Interested to know what others did when they used a Goodwill Guide--how did you handle the payments for travel, entrance fees, and lunch; I'm assuming we just pick up the bill and pay it for lunch, just not sure how to handle the train travel and fee, as I don't want to cause any embarrassment. 

It is expected that you will pay for lunch, admission fees and all transportation costs.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, BassettMom said:

We also plan to bring a small gift for our guide as well.  My SIL quilts (she owns a quilt store), and has made a quilted shopping bag for our guide (I have one and they are beautiful).  Do you think this would be an appropriate gift?

I think that would be very appropriate & easy to carry with you.