Diamond Princess-is she looking tired?

trvlwrld

We have booked a summer 2020 cruise around Japan on the Diamond, but are getting a little worried about comments that she is looking a little rough around the edges (especially the staterooms)....can anyone who has sailed on her recently give me some feedback please?

I can’t give you any feedback as I have never sailed on the Diamond or any other ship for that matter. I just want to say that I’m booked on the Diamond for Dec. 2020. 

I would be curious as to the comments as well but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock into the negativity of some. I would think princess will hold up their standards and give us stetrooms they’d be proud of. It is there business, after all. 

I am confident with my booking choices. 

Glenn

I was on Diamond last year and she seemed fine to me.

Although maybe that's because I'm a little rough around the edges too!

If Diamond is tired, I'd hate to see what people would say about most of the cruise ships in Australian waters, e.g. Sea and Sun Princess.

The cabin was good, the public areas very nice.

Seriously, I thought she was fine.

16 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Diamond just left a 14 day dry dock in early February for some upgrades and refurbishment - 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20326-diamond-princess-debuts-after-drydock-updates.html

I’ve tried our link & get the message “The server can’t be found”

Tom🤔

18 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

also wondering about the Japan being hot and humid and rainy in July

As with any locale, the weather will vary. Summer in Japan is typically hot and humid. The rainy season ends in late June.We were last in Japan in August 2016. Hot and humid pretty much describes the weather. But A/C is everywhere inside and after a couple days, you adjust. Plan to wear light clothing and start your day trips early. Whatever the weather, a trip to Japan is worth it.

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got off the Diamond on Jan 19th, and she went into dry-dock the same day... All I can tell you is the Diamond REALLY needed a dry-dock, as IMO she was in the worst shape I've ever seen a Princess ship in.. This was my 58th Princess cruise, and I was SHOCKED at the condition of some areas of the ship, we were on the Sapphire her sister ship this June (2018) in Europe and the difference in the condition between  the two could not have been greater.

I'm sincerely hoping the dry-dock was aimed at addressing some of the glaring maintenance issues that were clear and obvious and there for all to see

Fingers crossed

Srpilo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 3:37 AM, trvlwrld said:

Has anyone been on her since dry dock...???

Yes, me. From Feb 02 to Feb 14 2019, Singapore to Tokyo, right after the dry dock.

Diamond Princess was in very good shape.

A lot of new paint, carpets, furniture, etc. everywhere.

New mattress in the stateroom, brand new large TV (now at the wall where the picture was) with new entertainment system.

New routers over the balconies, very stable and improved internet throughout the ship.

New large digital signs at the stairways.

New MUTS sound system.
New sauna interior.

Some contractors were still on board during the cruise for additional work.

A very nice ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, me. From Feb 02 to Feb 14 2019, Singapore to Tokyo, right after the dry dock.

Diamond Princess was in very good shape.

A lot of new paint, carpets, furniture, etc. everywhere.

New mattress in the stateroom, brand new large TV (now at the wall where the picture was) with new entertainment system.

New routers over the balconies, very stable and improved internet throughout the ship.

New large digital signs at the stairways.

New MUTS sound system.
New sauna interior.

Some contractors were still on board during the cruise for additional work.

A very nice ship.

Thanks very much for your reply! How was the food?

5 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

How was the food?

The MDR food was nice.

The Diamond has the "new" menus now. For example - the lobster comes with the risotto and no more prawns, vegetables and no more butter sauce. The old lobster dish was much better. Beef Wellington was very nice. The coldwater lobster from Sterling Steakhouse was also very good.

Horizon Court lunch buffet was surprisingly rich in variety. Nice pastas.

The breakfast buffet was disappointing, but that became a fleetwide problem with Princess Cruises in the last years imho.

The only thing missing on this ship is the International Cafe in the atrium. 

Edited by EDVM96

Thank you for this updated info on the Diamond, I am considering booking a cruise on her next summer.  Since it doesn't have the International Café, do they still have a specialty coffee bar?  And do they have the breakfast donuts, maybe up in the buffet instead?

On 3/4/2019 at 4:18 PM, EDVM96 said:

The MDR food was nice.

The Diamond has the "new" menus now. For example - the lobster comes with the risotto and no more prawns, vegetables and no more butter sauce. The old lobster dish was much better. Beef Wellington was very nice. The coldwater lobster from Sterling Steakhouse was also very good.

Horizon Court lunch buffet was surprisingly rich in variety. Nice pastas.

The breakfast buffet was disappointing, but that became a fleetwide problem with Princess Cruises in the last years imho.

The only thing missing on this ship is the International Cafe in the atrium. 

So Sterling is still on the ship? It doesn't show up on the latest deck plan.

Edited by Aloha 1

Yes, there is definitely the Sterling Steak House. Just behind the Horizon Court.
There was an option every night in the MDRs to order food from Sterling. 19 USD then instead of 29 at Sterling.

Edited by EDVM96

7 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, there is definitely the Sterling Steak House. Just behind the Horizon Court.
There was an option every night in the MDRs to order food from Sterling. 19 USD then instead of 29 at Sterling.

Vielen dank mein freund. Das ist gut!