Walk around Castries

bluehawks47

Is there much to do in town?  We are looking to get off the ship, walk to town and just explore.  I assume there are some restaurants, shops, etc.  We are doing beach days at our other stops, so we are looking for a day to explore.  Are there any museums worth checking out?  Is there enough to do in town to cover a few hours?  Are there any Rum factory tours nearby or any other suggestions you might have? 

Thank you

3 hours ago, bluehawk47 said:

Is there much to do in town?  We are looking to get off the ship, walk to town and just explore.  I assume there are some restaurants, shops, etc.  We are doing beach days at our other stops, so we are looking for a day to explore.  Are there any museums worth checking out?  Is there enough to do in town to cover a few hours?  Are there any Rum factory tours nearby or any other suggestions you might have? 

Thank you

Castries is not a scenic town. There's very little to explore in the city, and it's simply not pretty or such at all.  

There's the craft and food market right by the port, Derek Walcott Square and the cathedral - that's pretty much it. It's very much a working city, and  hasn't been gentrified or prettied up at all for tourism.  It's not a quaint place to stroll or walk around at all.  

Better to try a tour that shows off the best of the island : Soufriere and the Pitons, volcano, etc , or head to Rodney Bay and enjoy the village there - shopping, restaurants and bars, beach, splash park, etc.  Or perhaps Pigeon Island, with the ruins, hikes, beach, restaurants, etc. 

8 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Castries is not a scenic town. There's very little to explore in the city, and it's simply not pretty or such at all.  

There's the craft and food market right by the port, Derek Walcott Square and the cathedral - that's pretty much it. It's very much a working city, and  hasn't been gentrified or prettied up at all for tourism.  It's not a quaint place to stroll or walk around at all.  

Better to try a tour that shows off the best of the island : Soufriere and the Pitons, volcano, etc , or head to Rodney Bay and enjoy the village there - shopping, restaurants and bars, beach, splash park, etc.  Or perhaps Pigeon Island, with the ruins, hikes, beach, restaurants, etc. 

Thank you very much!  I think we will take your suggestions. 

We did Cosol Tours 8 yers ago because I did my research and found there not to be much in port. Now I read about how crime has took over close to port, so this time we may just stay on the ship. If you take a tour, you pretty much get to see everthing there is there.

4 hours ago, Semi Retired said:

We did Cosol Tours 8 yers ago because I did my research and found there not to be much in port. Now I read about how crime has took over close to port, so this time we may just stay on the ship. If you take a tour, you pretty much get to see everthing there is there.

Crime has not taken over close to port. At all. There's been a very few isolated incidents in the last couple months - in each case, the perps were caught within hours or a day or two and charged.  

I wouldn't walk around Castries as it's not a pretty or quaint place to stroll through - I don't even go there unless I have to for some government reason, as that's where most of the offices are. There's very little to see, etc.  The out lying areas are much nicer and offer more of what the island is all about 

Vigie Beach and Boardwalk are part of Castries - perfectly safe to explore and enjoy - great local food and drinks chairs, shade, swimming, restrooms, etc. 

There's a lot more to the island than the few highlights seen in Cosol's tour - perhaps consider some if the other areas. 

Enjoy your visit. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:11 AM, reedprincess said:

Crime has not taken over close to port. At all. There's been a very few isolated incidents in the last couple months - in each case, the perps were caught within hours or a day or two and charged.  

I wouldn't walk around Castries as it's not a pretty or quaint place to stroll through - I don't even go there unless I have to for some government reason, as that's where most of the offices are. There's very little to see, etc.  The out lying areas are much nicer and offer more of what the island is all about 

Vigie Beach and Boardwalk are part of Castries - perfectly safe to explore and enjoy - great local food and drinks chairs, shade, swimming, restrooms, etc. 

There's a lot more to the island than the few highlights seen in Cosol's tour - perhaps consider some if the other areas. 

Enjoy your visit. 

2 women from ship robbed in Serenity Park, 4 blocks from port, last month. And 4 days before that, locals were robbed at gun point.

34 minutes ago, Semi Retired said:

2 women from ship robbed in Serenity Park, 4 blocks from port, last month. And 4 days before that, locals were robbed at gun point.

So three incidents, in over two months - where the perps have been apprehended and await charges and trial equals overrun? Seriously?  May want to want to work on your definitions.  How many incidents in the months before - or since then??  Oh right, none...

Given that I live here, I'm well aware of crime around the island. Much more than those who read the occasional headline, given it affects me directly.  Castries is as safe if not safer than any other city of it's similar size. Yes - boneheads live everywhere and occasionally go for an easy target of opportunity.. fortunately here, they generally get caught and do their time. 

I don't recommend walking around Castries not because it's unsafe, but rather because it's boring and not a pretty town,  there's really nothing much to see or experience in the vast majority of the town - the Cathedral is lovely and Derek Walcott Square, that's about it . It's a working city, not oriented towards tourism...

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:11 AM, reedprincess said:

Enjoy your visit. 

Thank you for your clarification. Yes, I did mention the limited port sites and that most benefits to see are on a tour of the island. I saw it...it was lovely...so I will spend time on ship this time.

10 hours ago, Semi Retired said:

Thank you for your clarification. Yes, I did mention the limited port sites and that most benefits to see are on a tour of the island. I saw it...it was lovely...so I will spend time on ship this time.

There is lots more to the island than the sights seen on Cosol's tour 

As mentioned above, Pigeon Island is a wonderful way to so d a day - ruins, hikes if you want, great beach, great restaurants, etc 

Rodney Bay is a good village, lots of restaurants, shoos, great beach, splash park, etc. 

There's active options like zip line, ATV, horseback riding, aerial tram, waterfall hikes, mountain biking, Segway tours and so on. 

Staying in the ship is always an option of course. 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, CarlaMasterson said:

How much for a taxi from Castries to Rodney bay or can we take a local bus?  If so, where do we pick bus up and get of in Rodney bay?

$30 onw way for up to 4 persons. 25-30 minute drive, with no traffic..

If you want to take the bus, be prepared for some walking and waiting.  Best bet is to walk to the Gros Islet bus stand, which is behind the Castries Craft and Food market, 10-15 minute walk, depending on pier you're at ( not counting time it takes to get out of the port area) Then board bus, and wait for it to fill up.. once full, off you go. Ask driver to drop your at Rodney Bay, you'll be dropped off right at the end of the strip, near JQ Mall.  From there, it's a 10-15 minute walk to Reduit Beach, you'll pass a fair few Restaurants and bars, shops, etc  cost is about $3.50xcd ($1.25 or so USD) or so I think (it's been a while).  Bus do not leave on any schedule, they go when they're full. They'll stop all along the route to drop off an pick up all f the way which can add a bit of time. Should take, minimum, 30 minutes, usually closer to 45, once the bus actually leaves.  

On 2/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, Semi Retired said:

It still sounds safer than many cities her in the US...just saying.  

18 hours ago, ciera123 said:

Reedprincess - can you give me an idea of what Marigot Bay is like? We are thinking of spending a few hours looking around that area. Are there shops, or anything interesting to do or see to keep us busy? 

Its a very small harbor, lots of boat traffic, small spot of beach that fronts the yacht harbor, some shops and restaurants, quite pricey.  It's cute, but personally find it boring and expensive for a day trip.  Others love it. YMMV 

4 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Its a very small harbor, lots of boat traffic, small spot of beach that fronts the yacht harbor, some shops and restaurants, quite pricey.  It's cute, but personally find it boring and expensive for a day trip.  Others love it. YMMV 

Thanks so much, that’s what I needed to know! 😊

If you are staying in city you can always visit the outskirts such as Caribelle Batik which has a short tour of Chocolate making, coconut oil making and batik. No entrance fee and you can purchase finished products. Also something truly local would be Eudovics Art studio which offers a tour of the workshop and pieces available. You can even commission a piece there. In the city's roundabout there is a piece there done by Jallim Eudovic on display as part of our 40 year independence celebration. Anther place is the Lucian country life which is a fantastic tour showcasing St. Lucian culture. There is an entrance fee for this one. Of course you will need a taxi to get there but it is a great stop for half day and close to the cruise ship.