Ditched Sunrise for Magic

SRQbeachgirl

My family was not thrilled with the cruise I had booked for us on Sunrise - 8 days from New York leaving 7/30. They thought it had too many sea days (4) and not enough ports (3). DH was also worried about too much sun and heat on the aft-balcony. The last thing I need on vacation is an unhappy family, so...

This morning I called Carnival and changed it to 8 days on the Magic leaving Ft. Lauderdale on 8/3. I was able to get an Ocean Suite for about the same price as the aft-balcony cabin. We get 4 ports and 3 sea days, so a good compromise between their desire for more ports and my love of sea days. I also bought the Thermal Suite passes for us, so that will pretty much put them in heaven.

We sailed the Magic last year and it was our favorite ship. I was looking forward to sailing a completely refurbished ship, but I absolutely love the Magic.

Being the official family vacation planner is so high-pressure!  😏

We also did the same. We live in NJ about 15 minutes or less from the Lincoln Tunnel so the port is very close. We spoke about the Sunrise, was excited about the dry dock and complete overhaul of the ship. Then we sat down and looked at the itinerary of the Magic, the fact that the Magic is a weekend to a weekend where the Sunrise was weekday to weekday cruise, just made so much more sense. We also only have been to 1 of the 4 ports of call on the Magic for that trip. To say the least so excited and don't want to wish my life away but August 17th can't come quick enough. 

My wife and I love the Magic as well.  We are doing another cruise on it in September.  The Sunrise will have updated rooms, but it will also have a few hundred more people in the same amount of space.  If you like the comedy or the production shows, the you will have more trouble getting in.  These areas are being made smaller to provide for the extra cabins.  The Magic will be a much better choice.

39 minutes ago, levon10 said:

We will be on the same cruise.  There are 5 of us.  Have you planned any excursions ?

Not yet. We have never been to 3 of the ports, so I'm researching them now. We have been to San Juan and plan to do a DIY day to El Morro (we've done San Cristobal) and probably find a good restaurant. 

i have my first cruise out of NYC this august.  It isssss a lot of sea days, but this will be our first vacation as a family of 4 with 2 littles and I really did not want to deal with flying and trying to take a suitcase just for diapers.  so, we will take those sea days this go around and enjoy our time on the Sunrise, but NEXT NYE I will fly the family to Miami and enjoy the Magic!  best of both worlds.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, SRQbeachgirl said:

Not yet. We have never been to 3 of the ports, so I'm researching them now. We have been to San Juan and plan to do a DIY day to El Morro (we've done San Cristobal) and probably find a good restaurant. 

My husband and I have been to 3 of these ports but son, girlfriend and grandson have never cruised. Should be lots of fun.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:47 PM, Lee Cruiser said:

My wife and I love the Magic as well.  We are doing another cruise on it in September.  The Sunrise will have updated rooms, but it will also have a few hundred more people in the same amount of space.  If you like the comedy or the production shows, the you will have more trouble getting in.  These areas are being made smaller to provide for the extra cabins.  The Magic will be a much better choice.

I agree 100%. We just got off Carnival Sunshine this morning. We had a great time as always, but the Liquid Lounge is small on this ship and the Limelight Lounge is ridiculously small. Both my wife and I agree we will likely never sail on Sunshine again due to the lounge sizes and due to the Serenity area being anything but serene.  On the bright side, there were always tons of things to do inside the ship during the day and especially at night. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:58 AM, pyropoodle said:

i have my first cruise out of NYC this august.  It isssss a lot of sea days, but this will be our first vacation as a family of 4 with 2 littles and I really did not want to deal with flying and trying to take a suitcase just for diapers.  so, we will take those sea days this go around and enjoy our time on the Sunrise, but NEXT NYE I will fly the family to Miami and enjoy the Magic!  best of both worlds.

Are you aware that babies/children in diapers of any kind (including "swim diapers") are by law forbidden to enter cruise ship pools and hot tubs, even "family" pools and hot tubs? No one in a diaper, and no one needing a diaper of any kind, no one not completely toilet-trained, is allowed in. 

5 minutes ago, ToniV said:

Are you aware that babies/children in diapers of any kind (including "swim diapers") are by law forbidden to enter cruise ship pools and hot tubs, even "family" pools and hot tubs? No one in a diaper, and no one needing a diaper of any kind, no one not completely toilet-trained, is allowed in. 

I'm aware...and there are beaches.  I've cruised with babies before, but thanks for your concern poster with 12 posts.

Edited by pyropoodle