Venice hotel pre-cruise

Emtbsam

I have already looked at the Venice section of cc.com to see what hotels are recommended, but I thought it might be of greater benefit to ask Silversea passengers what hotels they might recommend.  We will be staying in Venice for probably 3 days pre-cruise on the Shadow in October 2020.  There will be at least 4 of us, 2 of us with way too much luggage since we will be staying on for the fall Transatlantic.

If you have any favorite restaurants, feel free to chime in.  Also, does anyone know where the ship docks in Venice or does it change depending on other ships in port?

Many thanks.

stayed at the baglioni hotel luna when I was there last April...nice rooms, wonderful breakfast, and close location to St Marks...but I am not a fan of being so close to so many people.. also have stayed at the Lisassidi Palace.. a little off the grid, which Is nice to be away from the tourist crowds, but still close enough to everything....and they have a dock for easy transfers.

one of my favs restaurants is Corte Sconta...the food/service is fabulous....Been there 3 times.

Hi Doug -

I am a bit overwhelmed by the choices on Tripadvisor especially since I don't know Venice that well.  Back in the 70's, I stayed at the Danielli while they were filming "Who's killing the great chefs of Europe?" and loved it, but I was hoping to try something else this time.

Check out the Hotel Londra Palace. We stayed there a few years ago with a canal-view room. Not cheap, but not the most expensive place in town either. An old-fashioned place. Fabulous views out our window, fabulous views from the breakfast table downstairs, hotel was a short walk from St. Marks, and a water taxi stop was right out front. LittleRedJohn

In 2013 we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky  on points, directly across from the Cloud.  It is located on the Giudecca Island.  The Hilton has a complimentary shuttle over to St.Mark's Square.  There were also a couple of water front restaurants just down the way.  We arranged for a water taxi from Marco Polo Airport through the Hilton. It's not the most cost effective way, but I'm not much on throwing my credit card over the internet!!  Attached is the view of the Cloud from our room. 

30th anniversary cruise 002.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, LittleRedJohn said:

Check out the Hotel Londra Palace. We stayed there a few years ago with a canal-view room. Not cheap, but not the most expensive place in town either. An old-fashioned place. Fabulous views out our window, fabulous views from the breakfast table downstairs, hotel was a short walk from St. Marks, and a water taxi stop was right out front. LittleRedJohn

I would second the Londra Palace.   Restaurant was so - so, but so many choices nearby.

I stayed at the Bauer Palazzo last summer and would definitely recommend it.:classic_smile:  Good location, friendly staff, near a lot of restaurants and St Marks Square is nearby as well.  Also, SS uses this hotel as a pick up point for guests who are sailing with them who are staying at the hotel. They have a rep there on the morning you go to the ship as well.

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

I stayed at the Bauer Palazzo last summer and would definitely recommend it.:classic_smile:  Good location, friendly staff, near a lot of restaurants and St Marks Square is nearby as well.  Also, SS uses this hotel as a pick up point for guests who are sailing with them who are staying at the hotel. They have a rep there on the morning you go to the ship as well.

Thank you all for the great suggestions so far.

Lois - could you take the SS transfer from the Bauer Palazzo if you had not booked the pre-cruise package?

18 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions so far.

Lois - could you take the SS transfer from the Bauer Palazzo if you had not booked the pre-cruise package?

Hi, yes.  I booked the hotel on my own (not through SS) and got a better rate that way.  The gal who is my SS contact made sure she notated on my reservation that I was staying there and I needed transportation to the ship.

4 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Thanks Lois.  Since there might be 6 of us, it would be wonderful to have the transportation to the ship.

You are most welcome.  I don't know your budget as this (in my opinion of course) is not an inexpensive hotel.  It is probably one of the most $$$ pricey hotels I have stayed in as I really didn't search for others.   It was one of those things...…..I just paid what the hotel offered and knew my transport was part of the whole thing. I travel solo and so this worked out great!

Oh, you will have LOTS of restaurants within walking distance for dinner too. :classic_smile:

We stayed at the Ai Cavalieri a couple years ago and loved it. A little away from the crowds, which appealed to us. Our balcony had a view of the bell tower at St. Marks Square though! They can arrange for a water taxi to take you to the cruise terminal and pick you up at the airport. 

2 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We stayed at the Ai Cavalieri a couple years ago and loved it. A little away from the crowds, which appealed to us. Our balcony had a view of the bell tower at St. Marks Square though! They can arrange for a water taxi to take you to the cruise terminal and pick you up at the airport. 

Thank you.  I will check it out.

Fortunately, we have many, many months before decisions need to be made.

I really appreciate all the input.

My LW & I are boarding a cruise ship in Venice this fall.  After my usual obsessive research, we are staying three nights in the Hotel Moresco, located in the Dorsoduro area, which is in the SW corner of Venice, a quieter area, and near the cruise terminals.  Highly rated hotel, and it is easy to walk to the very busy more touristy places, but we like the quiet.  The hotel has a free water shuttle to outer islands, and looks to be wonderful place.  Also, if arriving by train, or car, a short walk from the Calatravo bridge and terminuses of trains, water taxis and the vaporetto.  We are meeting our dear friend, a S France based European travel guide (Anthony Bay is Europe), for a week before the cruise, looping around Padova, Vicenza, the Brenta Canal, Bologna, Parma, Cremona and Varenna, doing our part to support local economy by visiting endless wonderful cities, spectacular buildings and art (such as the famous mosaics of Ravenna), and trying to make a dent in the output of Italian food in this rich area!