Which helicopter tour?

cottonballs99

We are looking at privately booking a helicopter tour in Juneau.  Has anyone done a private helicopter tour with NorthStar Trekking? We are trying to decide between the walkabout (1 hour on glacier) or the trek (2 hours on glacier).  Is 1 hour enough? 

Even if you haven't done these specific tours, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback as far as length of time for the glacier portion.  We are a family of four, two adults mid 40's and fairly active, two fit, active teenagers.

I experienced the cruise line's 1-hour Glacier Walk on Mendenhall Glacier and enjoyed it immensely.  However, walking a bit farther while wearing crampons would not get me any better photos or more of an appreciation of the glacier.  

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/mendenhall-glacier-walk

We did Nortstarr Trekking in Juneau last July.  Ours was the Walkabout (note: we booked through the cruise line).  We didn't really have a choice as we did another excursion that same day and this was the only option we had with Northstarr.  I highly recommend them as all of their options seem to give more time on the glacier.  Having done the Walkabout, I wouldn't hesitate to do the next level up or even their "toughest level".  It takes a while to get your crampons, etc. on and so the extra time would be worth it.  Regardless, it is an awesome experience!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a one hour (at most) glacier trek out of Juneau last June. We flew over Mendenhall but landed on the Herbert Glacier for our trek.  We were the only people there. We were able to walk around and peer down into the crevasses, sample glacier water and  take some amazing photos. It was beautiful and awe-inspiring.....and more than enough time for us.  I'm not sure what we would have done for two hours on the glacier.

DSC_2648.jpg

DSC_2652.jpg

DSC_2731.jpg

DSC_2733.jpg

Edited by LMADAMS91

We loved our cruise tour, it was the Helicopter Flight seeing and Glacier Walkabout. I don't like to fly, although I do it to get where I want to go. And for something like this, it was worth it. We flew around for about 30 minutes before and had amazing views of the mountain range. Then we spent about an hour or so on the glacier walking around, drinking the water, etc... It was so worth every penny! While we booked ours through the cruise, I know it's the same company. And I don't know if you really need 2 hours. It's not like you can walk around really far. So an hour was totally fine with us.

_MG_4253.jpg

_MG_4260.jpg

_MG_4273.jpg

_MG_4316.jpg

_MG_4327.jpg

I have done multiple helicopter glacier landings,  and several trekkings.   In my opinion-  for trekking-  level 3 is my only choice.   This is very different from a "walk around"  which everyone above is referring to.   Time is essential,   the plus of the longer tour is also more similar interests and less down time=  usually.  :)    You  go a lot further and have a lot more exposure to the glacier.

Another option-  IF you have time mainland Alaska-  is to get a superb drive up trek at Matanuska .   I've been out 4-5  hours there,  guided trekking.   :)      Additionally-   there is the lake access Mendenhall trekking out of Juneau,  and the more involved West trail trek.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the 2 hour trek. I wanted the extended 3 hour trek where they also teach ice climbing but my wife nixed it. I would go for it all but I have never been to Alaska so I am not speaking out of experience