Viking River optional excursion to Colmar

bellemere

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, bellemere said:

Looking at this optional excursion to Colmar in December on a Viking River cruise.

Are you given any time to visit the Christmas Markets in Colmar?

Thank you.

My husband and I did the optional excursion to Colmar in Dec 2018. It was beautiful. All the buildings are lit and decorated. There are several Christmas markets scattered throughout the town plus there was a flea market going on as well in the main square that day. A word of warning...it will be very crowded with wall to wall people. If I had to plan it again, I would still go, it was that beautiful! The walking tour was good but hard to stay close together due to the crowds, but our guide stopped to let us catch up several times. We had about an hour at the end of the tour to walk around on our own. You can break off from the tour anytime that you like if you want to stop and shop. We had maps and were given good directions on where and when to meet to walk back to the bus together. My husband and I are fit and had no issues but if you have mobility problems it may be a challenge? There was a gentleman in a wheelchair on our tour and his wife struggled with the crowds. I attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea of the crowds, but overall it was well worth it to me! Also, a word on the Christmas markets....I felt like the early ones were not as authentic as the later ones....lots of stuff from China, but still had great wine and snacks!  I thought Cologne had the best Christmas markets with only handcrafted local items allowed...but there was one lady on our cruise that shopped at every one in every town and left with huge bags of stuff every time and was happy as a clam!

IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg