Tipping wait staff extra - how much?

Amberle3

On 2/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, HBE4 said:

Assuming 10 weeks off between contracts, that's about $95,000 just in tips. Add in the wages that no knows how much they make, plus free food, no transportation costs.....that's a decent amount in any country.

You are kidding, right?  The tips from the cabin stewards or waiters  that are billed/prepaid are not given to those serving you in full.  They are divided into a "team".  Who knows who is part of the team?  My guess the money for the stewards, part goes to the head of housekeeping, an assistant if one is used, the steward and anyone else the cruise line adds to the team.  The same is for the wait staff.  Part goes to the staff in the WJ, Sorrentos, Wipeout Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Park Cafe and anyone else the cruise line chooses to be part of the team.

If a steward made $95k  for 42 weeks a year, Americans would be working on the ship---even with the horrendous hours.  I think you are dreaming, big time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

You are kidding, right?  The tips from the cabin stewards or waiters  that are billed/prepaid are not given to those serving you in full.  They are divided into a "team".  Who knows who is part of the team?  My guess the money for the stewards, part goes to the head of housekeeping, an assistant if one is used, the steward and anyone else the cruise line adds to the team.  The same is for the wait staff.  Part goes to the staff in the WJ, Sorrentos, Wipeout Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Park Cafe and anyone else the cruise line chooses to be part of the team.

If a steward made $95k  for 42 weeks a year, Americans would be working on the ship---even with the horrendous hours.  I think you are dreaming, big time.

Well said!  

Why does it matter how much they make or what country they come from.  If you are in a restaurant in the US and have a dinner bill of $200, do you say "I think the waiter makes too much, I'll only tip $5" or do you say "I think the waiter is from the UK, he will understand no tip"?

RC runs their ships as if they were a US resort.  USD is the currency and tipping customs are US based.  Yes, I understand they changed their structure in Australia since no crew wanted to work those routes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Why does it matter how much they make or what country they come from.  If you are in a restaurant in the US and have a dinner bill of $200, do you say "I think the waiter makes too much, I'll only tip $5" or do you say "I think the waiter is from the UK, he will understand no tip"?

It doesn't.  For some reason, the "holier-than-tho" attitudes of some of the more vocal over-tippers always seem to draw me into this debate.  I think I need to tag out for awhile.

In the post I've since deleted b/c too personal info, I know some who have worked on a cruise ship and - while not living in the lap of luxury - were able to bank a lot of money in a short amount of time. They worked their butts off and lived in cramped corners but at the end of the day, made more money them some of the people they were serving.

That doesn't mean I'm going to tip less but I'm also not going to act like I just saved a family from a life of poverty either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, HBE4 said:

It doesn't.  For some reason, the "holier-than-tho" attitudes of some of the more vocal over-tippers always seem to draw me into this debate.  I think I need to tag out for awhile.

In the post I've since deleted b/c too personal info, I know some who have worked on a cruise ship and - while not living in the lap of luxury - were able to bank a lot of money in a short amount of time. They worked their butts off and lived in cramped corners but at the end of the day, made more money them some of the people they were serving.

That doesn't mean I'm going to tip less but I'm also not going to act like I just saved a family from a life of poverty either.

I did see your post before you deleted it.  The NCL ship in Hawaii has to have US employees, along with the minimum wage etc.  The pay scale is different  for ships that are not US flagged.  If things are soooooo wonderful, why is it that NCL had more ships sailing in Hawaii, then US employees couldn't/wouldn't work the hours etc required, so they left and now NCL is down to 1 ship I think?  Why aren't people scrambling to be employed by NCL in Hawaii?

Whomever the person is/was that worked for NCL, good for him/her.  You can't compare apples and oranges, but I think that is something you are doing. JMO.

Edited by katiel53
change wording

On 2/28/2019 at 1:01 AM, laslomas said:

There are a couple of tipping threads on the go at the moment and many posters mention tipping cash with every drink, and in the MDR and even in the buffet. I understand from reading through these threads that this is normal procedure for many guests. The skill of 'sleight of hand' must be very well practiced. On all my cruises with various cruise lines over several years I can honestly say I have never seen it happen. I know it is easy to add a tip when signing a receipt for a drink, but much of the talk is of cash. I will do a bit more people watching on my next cruise to see how it is done. Personally I just leave the auto gratuities in place and enjoy my time without needing to carry money around with me in what I always thought was a cashless environment.

But with tipping it will always be each to their own, and there will always be discussions about tips until the cruise lines make the decision to make changes to the way they deal with the salaries of their staff. Cultural differences also come into it, and always will. But the threads are always fun to read  :classic_smile: 

That's funny. Looking for it you will probably see it now. If we have to sign a thing for our drinks I might put it on that but I think that goes in to a common pool. So my husband doesn't drink but he does non-alc and coffee drinks. I usually don't carry anything but my sea pass so he'll keep 5 or 6 ones in his pocket at all times. I don't think I have ever not tipped on a drink or at the Ben & Jerry's if there is one.  It honestly never occurred to me that I should be tipping in the buffet, so I'll have to give a think about that. We do give tips the last night in the MDR in cash, but of course we put it in an envelope first. 

On 2/27/2019 at 12:26 AM, brillohead said:

With MTD, I just leave the auto-grats in place (as I do with regular dining) and only tip extra for people who go above and beyond. 

We had an AMAZING waiter on Harmony in June, and he took us on as an extra table the next night too (our table wasn't in his section, which was full) and he just WOWed us with his personality and service.  I did slip some cash in his hand (and the assistant waiter too, who was part of the WOW service we received those last two nights) as I said goodbye on the last night.  

For me, giving extra cash to MDR waitstaff beyond what they get from the auto-grat is a function of how the relationship developed over the course of the week, which is something you don't normally get a chance to do with MTD waitstaff.  Things like making sure my Diet Coke and water glasses are always full, knowing which bread rolls I like and making sure we have plenty of butter (our table DESTROYED the bread and butter bowls in June!), clearing plates in a reasonable time frame, showing a genuine interest in helping make our vacation pleasurable... those are reasons I give a little extra cash at the end of the week.  If the waitstaff just does the bare minimum, or I have to continually ask for more water, butter, etc., then I wouldn't give extra cash over and above the auto-grat. 

Fortunately, I've never had waitstaff in the MDR that didn't warrant a cash bonus.  They've always been full of smiles and happy to help with anything I requested.  

Thank you for the examples of what extra service means to you.  I tend to either read "the service was amazing" or "why should I pay extra for someone doing their job?" but not what extra really means.  I drink a lot of water, if my glass is never empty (or at least I don't have to ask for more refills) that is doing more than most servers seem able to keep up with.  Clearing plates in a reasonable time is something I consider part of basic good service.  On our first RCL cruise we really liked the little touches like crumb sweeping.  While it was probably standard training for that ship, if we experience it again we would tip extra for that level service.

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thank you for the examples of what extra service means to you.  I tend to either read "the service was amazing" or "why should I pay extra for someone doing their job?" but not what extra really means.  I drink a lot of water, if my glass is never empty (or at least I don't have to ask for more refills) that is doing more than most servers seem able to keep up with.  Clearing plates in a reasonable time is something I consider part of basic good service.  On our first RCL cruise we really liked the little touches like crumb sweeping.  While it was probably standard training for that ship, if we experience it again we would tip extra for that level service.

I have a swallowing motility disorder and require liquid to literally wash down my food so it doesn't sit in my esophagus.  If my water glass is empty, I am physically unable to continue eating my meal -- it's not just an inconvenience, it brings my meal to a complete stop. At most mainstream restaurants, I ask for two large waters at the start of the meal, so I can be drinking the second one while waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the first to be refilled.  Never having to ask for a refill is a VERY big deal to me, and the vast majority of the RCL waitstaff has met my extreme needs.  

As for clearing plates, I probably should have mentioned the sheer volume of plates involved on my last cruise -- most at our table ate like NFL linesmen at dinnertime, with 3 starters and 2 entrees each in many cases.  This significantly disrupted the normal serving pace compared to other tables, but an attentive waitstaff can make it seamless, like it was intended to be a six-course meal all along.  

The level of attention I get from RCL servers in the MDR has consistently been higher than any of the restaurants back home, with the exception of an ultra-high-end, special-occasions-only type establishment.  People here on CC like to complain that the food is no better than chain restaurants like Applebee's or Chili's, but the service I've received has always blown away the chain restaurant servers back home. 

• Like 1

The last time we ate out I asked the server for two waters to start to help save her time.  She obliged but did seem surprised when not only the first was empty but the second nearly was.  I agree that stellar service can help overcome mediocre food and poor service detracts from an otherwise good meal.

I'm glad the staff meets your needs well.

Over and above the normal gratuities given to RC

- if at Specialty Rest I tip $20 for 2, if 4 at table we do $40.

- if it is a seven nt plus cruise, and we do MDR, we will give $20 to head waiter and $20 to their assistant.

- the main bar or lounge or bar waiter,  we go to, I tip a $20 right at the start, and we are buddies rest of the trip, then the odd $1, after that, plus I give all my faves a hat.

- Room attendant gets all my change from day one to the end, plus a few $singles, plus a hat,