What to Do ...

kenevenpar

Remember that wonderful event in January?  You know, The Super Blood Moon etc etc.

Here in Southeastern PA it was cold. How cold was it?  Starbucks was serving coffee on a stick.  It was 9 degrees when we left the house, and 3 degrees when we got back home a couple of hours later.  The wind were up, and gusts were in the 40MPH range.  But you know, anything for a good shot.

So I set up, added 15 pounds hanging from my tripod, and the result ...2075245064_LensDamage1.thumb.jpg.663ba3aacf0cd8210071e4961416b7f6.jpg1287952698_LensDamage2.thumb.jpg.db1592806c041e4f3184c9b3934f3a68.jpg

Edited by kenevenpar

So what to do?  Oh yeah, my D500 suffered some damage too.

For once, I planned ahead, and bought insurance ($60).  With no deductible.

You might ask, how did it work out with the insurance company?  Three days after. claim filed, adjuster accepted estimates and kept claim open in case any follow up work was needed.

I got the D500 back last Friday, good as new!  I took it out on the weekend and took some shots; everything looks good.  The lens (200-500) which I used for at least 70% of my shots, I have to wait another 4-5 weeks.  Ugh

Anyhow, so what to do for these last 4 weeks?  Believe it or not, I started organizing my photo files.  Exciting?  You bet.  I saw pictures I had forgotten about.  I started a new consistent file folder system and automated back up system.  I update my lists of birds photographed and wildlife photos.

But, I still miss getting out and shooting with the big lens.  I did start working on landscapes, with my back up D5500, until I got the D500 back.

Lessons learned or reinforced,, for me:

40MPH gusts are too powerful for a large lens on a tripod, even with weights attached.

Insurance on camera equipment is critical.

I needed a better filing system from the start, so I wouldn't have to sit in front of the computer so long.

I should have hand held, rested on a bean bag, out the moon roof.

I hope that nobody has the unfortunate loss of camera equipment.  It is painful.

Ken

Wow - insurance...glad to hear occasionally someone gets their money's worth out of it!

I went through a broken lens that looked similar, though likely not as bad as yours.  Back when I got my Tamron 150-600mm, and was out shooting in the wetlands when the lens was just a month or so old, I was on a grown over levee trail and my foot was lucky enough to find an animal's burrow hidden in the grasses...I went sailing down to the ground, lens-first.  My left hand swung out to partially break the fall, while the lens broke the fall from the other side.  After a few seconds of getting air back in my lungs and realizing nothing was broken ON ME, I went to the camera & lens rig which were lying in the dirt and grass - dirt and grass were wedged into the crevices of the camera, dials, switches on the lens, etc - and only the lens hood had popped off and was sitting a few feet away.  Just when I was thinking how lucky, I noticed that the lens hood still had the entire lens end-glass and surround attached to it, and looking at the lens, I was staring into an open hole at the internals.  Ouch!

In my case, the ring was only stripped in two screw locations and fully intact with the lens glass - and as far as I could see, no cracks in the glass or scratches anywhere.  So I actually stuck the end back on the lens, which semi-snapped into place on 2 sides where the screw mounts weren't torn free, but wanted to hang open on the other mounting points.  Holding it in place manually, I actually took a few dozen wildlife shots with it, and it all seemed to work properly.  When I got home, I super-glued the end back on where the two screw mounts tore open, and unscrewed and reattached the other two screw mounts...along with some careful cleaning and inspection inside the lens before sealing it all back up.  You may figure that I didn't have insurance!

I still have that 150-600mm lens, and it still works beautifully.  I won't get much for it if I sell it, since the end glass and hood mount are attached with 2 of 4 screws and some superglue - the ripped mount holes still clearly visible.  But I've gotten my money worth out of the lens, so no complaints!  And unlike you, I never had to take a break from shooting with the long lenses...I just had to swallow the disappointment in the ugly damage and MacGuyver-style repair of a 1 month old lens, that thankfully still worked properly.

1 hour ago, Dan_K said:

Ken, sorry this happened. May I ask through whom you purchased insurance. This seems like a good idea. (If my question is against forum rules, please feel free to delete.)

Dan 

My homeowners policy is through Nationwide, so I got a separate policy from them for the cameras and lenses.  To be honest, I got it more for theft, because who breaks their camera or lens. :classic_wacko:

I also checked online, but most of what was offered was for professionals and was significantly higher because it includes some liability coverage.

The suggestion, call your homeowners or renters insurance agent and see what he/she can do.

12 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

Wow - insurance...glad to hear occasionally someone gets their money's worth out of it!

At that price point ($61/year), I thought it was a good deal.  After having a claim, I am certainly happy.

My 200-500 outer lens did not come off as did your lens, but I think with the slightest pull it would have.  I could not turn the zoom ring, and I could see a definite crack in the next element in.

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

Good thing you had insurance, something I never thought about. Cheap considering what a new lens costs.

The camera repair was a bit over $400, and the lens estimate is $600.

I am also lucky that there is a very good authorized repair shop 45 minutes from me, and I have nothing but good things about them.  I am very happy with camera repair/clean/service.  They have also offered to fine tune the camera lens when the lens is repaired.

We learned the hard way about buying extra insurance for cameras, etc., especially when we travel.

About 40+ years ago when in Europe, DH dropped our camera -- badly damaged.  Had to buy a new one just so that we could continue taking pictures of our travels.

Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks KK.  I am still waiting for my big lens to be repaired 😞  In fact, I had to rent one for this weekend and a short get-a-way to the DE beaches.  It is snowing here today, and I have had enough of winter!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going round and round with Liberty Mutual to add camera gear to the policy for loss(theft or damage) since I read this thread. They are making it a giant PIA to do. They say they do not cover pieces, only whole cameras! They are talking appraisals and bill of sales. I might be taking about $5,500 worth of gear to Alaska. I sent them a list of the equipment with serial numbers and prices of the used and new from Adorama and EBay. How hard is it to insure this stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should report that I got my 200-500 back and everything looks great.  I have only taken a few (well, quite a few) shots around the house and everything looks sharp.  I am going out shooting this weekend, so I'll get to see if it is all good.

I should also report that I tired of organizing files, but I did make some significant headway, and I started on a web page, which I know next to nothing about.

I think I'll see if I can train my granddaughter how to organize files; I'll tell her it is fun.  Or bribe her with $$$

What a hobby 😁