CASUAL ELEGANT DINING.....NOT ANYMORE

Barrycat

We’re in the middle of another major change. You can walk into any restaurant in Chicago in jeans and be welcomed. It’s the way it is. Time for WS to adjust. You’re in paradise. Shorts are fine. Really. 

I just got measured for a rental tux for my daughter's wedding.  I must say I looked pretty elegant in it! [If Daniel Craig's ankle doesn't heel, I'm available...]  But I'm not tempted to buy one, because it isn't just the pants and jacket: there's also the special shirt, the shirt studs and bow tie [cue Fred Astaire], the cummerbund or vest, and the patent leather shoes.  And that's not even the worst of it: DW would have to pack the equivalent female formal wear.  And she can't get by with the same outfit for every formal night on a cruise, but must have several outfits!  Not gonna happen.  That's why cruise lines with formal nights are OUT for us.  And why we don't give the stink eye to others who have an even more laid back lifestyle than we do.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, ducklite said:

When I was probably seven years old, if you were invited to a birthday party, you wore a pretty dress, white ankle socks with lace, and patent leather shoes.   I was invited to a classmates party.  I wanted to wear my shorts.  It was a hot day (of course now I know the dress would have probably been cooler.)  My mother told me in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to go to the party, I'd need to change.  Mom won.  I learned a lesson that sometimes you need to do what is asked, or just stay home.

May I ask what year it was when you were seven? 

Thank God your mother is not the arbiter or fashion police today. Are you trying to fill her shoes?

24 minutes ago, wripro said:

Thank God your mother is not the arbiter or fashion police today. Are you trying to fill her shoes?

Let me say that I"m certainly not advocating for ignoring the dress policy WS has set, but rather that it should be reevaluated in light of the times. One of our "special occasion" restaurants in Chicago is very casual but the bill is $150+pp without alcohol.

I have no issue with WS relaxing things a bit, especially in tropical itineraries.  I actually recall one time when they did - it was a blistering hot day and everyone who came back for excursions looked totally drained out. WS announced that the evening would be "casual night" in Amphora, and I would almost hear the multiple versions of "YES!!" coming from the surrounding cabins. Dinner proceeded like any other dinner and we all survived the event.

Edited by milepig

59 minutes ago, wripro said:

You are missing the point.  Windstar has a written dress code--it's spelled out on the receipt you get when you book.  

If Windstar wants to allow a more relaxed dress code, they need to amend their official policy to reflect the new standards.  Either way I'll abide--but I will follow the written policy.  

There goes Wripro as usual with a smart a.... comment, never adding anything to the discussion, but always effectively lowering the quality of the discourse. My guess a jeans at dinner defender there.

I must admit that I am amazed at the number of people on this thread who are in effect voting that’s it’s ok to selectively violate the Windstar policies that are not important to them. More alarmingly they fail to realize that this attitude may some day impact a policy that they favor. Slippery slope.

• Like 1

I'm even more surprised at the posters who suggest Americans should violate the new restrictions on travel to Cuba by going to Canada and traveling from there.  The most a cruise line can do is send you back to your cabin to change – a violation of these regulations can lead to your passport being confiscated.  But many people believe that the law doesn't apply to them.  [But let's not talk about 55 mph speed limits – they definitely don't apply to me!]

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm even more surprised at the posters who suggest Americans should violate the new restrictions on travel to Cuba by going to Canada and traveling from there.  The most a cruise line can do is send you back to your cabin to change – a violation of these regulations can lead to your passport being confiscated.  But many people believe that the law doesn't apply to them.  [But let's not talk about 55 mph speed limits – they definitely don't apply to me!]

I didn't see anyone proposing such a thing on the Windstar boards.  Apples to oranges. 

Besides, smart Americans know that the best way to get to Cuba from the USA without incident isn't through Canada where US CBP will yard you off as you get off the return flight from Havana, but rather from Brasil. 😉

19 hours ago, Barrycat said:

There goes Wripro as usual with a smart a.... comment, never adding anything to the discussion, but always effectively lowering the quality of the discourse. My guess a jeans at dinner defender there.

I must admit that I am amazed at the number of people on this thread who are in effect voting that’s it’s ok to selectively violate the Windstar policies that are not important to them. More alarmingly they fail to realize that this attitude may some day impact a policy that they favor. Slippery slope.

Sorry you don't think I add anything to the discussion. It is certainly your prerogative to think so as it is mine to think what I want about  you. FYI I never wear jeans to dinner but as Voltaire said I will defend to the death the right of anyone who wishes to do so. None my business what they wear and it certainly wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the cruise. If that does affect anyone's enjoyment how lucky for them that they have nothing better to worry about.

• Like 2

Milepig is very right that “change is tough.” But some of us believe that our personal preferences and desires don’t have a basic human right to be satisfied. If your CEO is over 25, maybe you don’t get to bring your dog to work. If you work for a law firm, maybe you don’t get to wear shorts on Friday. Dropping off your children at the YMCA so that you block the driveway for 5 other cars is not adult behavior. It’s selfish. It’s not “all about you” just because you paid for the cruise.

4 minutes ago, CruiseOrLand said:

Milepig is very right that “change is tough.” But some of us believe that our personal preferences and desires don’t have a basic human right to be satisfied. If your CEO is over 25, maybe you don’t get to bring your dog to work. If you work for a law firm, maybe you don’t get to wear shorts on Friday. Dropping off your children at the YMCA so that you block the driveway for 5 other cars is not adult behavior. It’s selfish. It’s not “all about you” just because you paid for the cruise.

For the post millennials everything IS about them. They’re entitled. They’re special and have been told so since the moment they emerged from the womb. We all need to adjust to a new reality. Run me over in the pedestrian crosswalk when they’re texting? It’s all about them and they’re own little bubble. Run into a guard rail in the middle of a complex ramp system in a 10 lane interstate and total the car while on the phone and writing something down? (true story from yesterday) doesn’t matter, it was important to you. They’re the only one who matters. Again. This is the new reality, you can’t fight it.  

Sounds like you all need to take a deep breath.  These posts have gotten ridiculous! We're talking about cruising people! Not world events and the generalizations about different groups is awful and small minded.  Let's get back to sharing good information and not bashing someone else. There's plenty of  other places to do that!

• Like 3

I do not believe stereotyping a generation is helpful on this forum. I am seventy I applaud all generations. Everyone of us and our generation have something to contribute , bad eggs everywhere  but this forum should be offering suggestions on cruising on WS: likes, dislikes, suggestions, hints, funny comments, helpful not putting down an entire generation. I, for one would like to get to the next topic. Happy Sailing

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Strenz said:

I do not believe stereotyping a generation is helpful on this forum. I am seventy I applaud all generations. Everyone of us and our generation have something to contribute , bad eggs everywhere  but this forum should be offering suggestions on cruising on WS: likes, dislikes, suggestions, hints, funny comments, helpful not putting down an entire generation. I, for one would like to get to the next topic. Happy Sailing

For those that are interested, or who are critical of other generations, I recommend the book, Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy.   It talks about cycle of generational evolution.  It is a a very good read.  It might give you some tolerance and explanation why a certain generation "acts" they way they do.

I am just off Windspirit.  The first night, the destination manager made a very clear statement about dress code at Amphora.  It was simple and to the point.  For the Men: Pants, shirt, NO tank top, NO flip flops, NO shorts.  The "girls" (as she said) can wear anything.   This was enforced.  I saw someone get turned back for shorts.  T-shirts are ok.  Sandals are ok.

HOWEVER, including destination event, deck BBQ, candles, and Amphora.  I saw most people exceeding the dress code with nearly every man wearing a collar, which for me sets a the tone of the attire being worn.  There were no jeans, probably because jeans are too bloody hot in Tahiti.

For me, it is important that Windstar have a clear policy, and that they enforce it.  People spend real money for their cruises and should get what they expect and written policy should be enforced.  I am not a fan of language like "casual elegance".  If you ask 10 people you are likely to get 12 opinions.  It seems to me Windstar was enforcing the dress code.  Change is happening. As long as windstar communicates the changes, they may gain and lose customers based on these changes.   That is business and it is their decision.  I believe in the free market, if there is a need and no one is filling it, someone one will step in take those customers.

All the best.  Please keep it civil.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Personally, I am not willing to “defend to the death” someone who wants to wear jeans.

I'm sure anyone wearing jeans will not need you to defend him in any way.

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

You just don’t make any sense, and sound as if you’re having a bad day.  Hope it gets better for you.  A sense of humor can help during those times.

Oh dear. Some people can't recognize a sense of humor when they read one. But they can spot a pair of jeans under the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, milepig said:

And. Although the room service needs to be delivered to your room, there’s nothing to prevent you from taking it anywhere you want, including on deck if the weather is nice. Aren’t there always burgers on the Amphora menu? 

Room service will deliver to any location on the ship.  It is especially nice on warm days sitting out on deck.  On one cruise, we ate in the yacht club. My spouse got a sandwich. I called room service for a burger.

4 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Room service will deliver to any location on the ship.  It is especially nice on warm days sitting out on deck.  On one cruise, we ate in the yacht club. My spouse got a sandwich. I called room service for a burger.

This has not been our experience. Even when we asked, we were told that we could bring it up but it needed to be delivered to the from. Perhaps this is a change. 

6 minutes ago, milepig said:

This has not been our experience. Even when we asked, we were told that we could bring it up but it needed to be delivered to the from. Perhaps this is a change. 

They used to do this back in 2012--we had something delivered to us poolside (ordered through the bar) but I've seen a few posts since then saying they will only deliver to the room now.  Sad, as it was a nice touch that cost them nothing.

7 minutes ago, milepig said:

I wonder if it was to avoid having staff wandering around saying “who ordered the burger” when people are trying to relax by the pool?  

I would think if you ordered from the bar that the bartender would easily be able to point you out.